Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lucky escape in Sweden...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://hungryhen.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/not-so-much-kicking-but-alive-the-kittelfjall-avalanche-2014/

Worth reading the other blog linked at the end as well. I think they managed to hit every heuristic trap going in what sounds like some very unstable conditions and all to score some low angle turns. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"got away with some minor physical injuries"............. would hate to see what this guy calls "serious" rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The guy is a girl.

Interesting to see how the Skandies think (and I've experienced others who do the same thing), lots of analysis, fact gathering etc going into the decision making process then a big shock when they get it wrong with an after the fact justification "oh ja, if we just change this input or do this we won't get caught next time".

Still there but for the grace of god and all that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, yup, not wanting to backseat drive but one of the problems that lead to the accident seemed to be looking for reasons to continue despite obvious danger signs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm always nervous about collapsing snowpacks. I think everytime I've been in those conditions it is a sign of a lot of instability: remote triggering, skier triggered slide on slopes etc. If the mountain warns you so clearly it would be rude not to take heed.

Poor visibility is another red flag. You can't see what's above you, you have trouble judging slope angles and conditions and if it goes wrong the rescue services can't get in easily.

I admire their spirit - 4 hours for the rescue services to reach them, 230km to the nearest hospital, that's pretty wild stuff. In 4 hours you could die from a whole range of post avalanche factors, internal bleeding, exposure etc.

I don't know how many in the group had ABS but I wonder if that gave at least the author too much confidence. There were two incidents in France last week involving ABS wearers. Both of them bought ABS after having got into problems in previous incidents and in one of the incidents last week the ABS was ineffective due to the slope configuration, type of avalanche, in the other incident I doubt the wearer would have been saved if he had actually been caught by the huge purge from the slopes above. ABS should think about using the Swedish incident above in their marketing too but I guess that wouldn't play to their line of ABS saving 97% of wearers with nary a scratch. It is a great tool if used intelligently.

BTW: If anyone wants a list of avalanches I've triggered while skiing I'm happy to provide it along with the mistakes I made in doing so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, I'd be interested in that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A fascinating read, honestly and well written.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, I would be interested too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very very interesting. I try to learn from all these accounts so I'm glad that she posted her / their detailed analysis. Glad they were relatively ok.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
davidof, I'd be interested in that.

Well I can't write long accounts like the interesting Swedish experience but thinking back to 2004 I remember going touring one morning on the Cote-Belle above Vaujany. It had snowed overnight on spring snow, maybe with a sand layer. The first flakes had formed a weak layer with 20cm of heavy snow on top. Our timing was ok, it was just the conditions. The Cote-Belle is a notorious avalanche bowl. Traversing across a steep 35 degree slope Cyril triggered a slab - very easy given the weak layer. No harm done but we climbed on crampons out of the bowl onto the ridge. Climbing on crampons meant we were on the old snow layer below the slab so potentially safer. Once on the ridge we stayed high then down the ridge to low angled terrain.

Lack of assessment of the conditions, poor terrain choices due to an over ambitious plan, ignoring obvious signs once on the ground. On the plus side, not much depth to the weak layer although the terrain would not have been good if someone had been taken.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very interesting, but in line with what davidof said, if I had the snowpack 'whomph' under me several times I would a) shit myself and b) look for the fastest way out of that area. No way would I have carried on the way they did. Group dynamics at play here I think.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to second what Steilhang, has said. Also you cannot make all your assessment from one snow pit as it only represents one point. Some years back we dug ten pits on one slope over an area of about 150m wide and 200m vertical. There was major variation from pit to pit especially the depth of the layers even at similar altitude. I know you can't do this when out for a tour but a wide knowledge of the history of the snowpack and a good understanding of such factors as wind loading can help. A conservative attitude may be your best asset.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great read. Ta.

An area that's been on my radar for a while.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy