Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The continuing journey, new video added CFe May 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, Do you write notes on what you want to work on and then read them just before you push off on the first run down?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cad99uk, I've never tried that approach, I just have a vague notion of the movement that I'm trying to replicate. However, it might be worth trying.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, That's what we do. Read the notes and then visualise your run, doing those drills/actions in your head. Then set off and carry them out. Otherwise it's easy to get to the bottom having 'forgotten'.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Usually, I say nose over the tips, but I toned it down for you!! Feel like you're falling forward (you won't) and your heels will pop out of the back of the boots (they won't). Try it for a few runs; you'll be amazed at the difference. As Pedantica said, ankle flex is crucial, especially for your up-down movements. Practice it a few times at the top of the slope. Really exaggerate it to get the feeling.
Oh, and PLz get a better cameraman; your current one is too lazy. He needs to get off the balcony and up-close n personal so we can see better.

Get a move on coz FC will be L1 by Friday!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Get a move on coz FC will be L1 by Friday!!

Then God help us!! Laughing Laughing Enthusiastic and successful! There will be no stopping him!! I tell you what, I wish I had the time to devote to practice that he has managed to find (oh, and those 6 lottery numbers to pay for it all!! Laughing ), the trouble is when I get two hours it is only once in a blue moon and I think this means my progress is slower. Although I'd love to keep up with him I might have to face up to the fact that he left me behind a long time ago. Still at least I'm having a bash at these short turns and trying to get rid of the traverse - even a long distance video has managed to show me that I had a fair go at losing that and it was something that was identified in the Flachau footage that I needed to improve on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just had another good look at my video - I def. make a better turn to the right than I do to the left. I rotate the shoulders when I turn to my left far more than I do when I turn to the right and that makes it look as if I am not facing down the hill on that side. I know that everyone has a stronger side, but I wonder what the best way of stopping the one sidedness is? Does anyone know of an exercise or an action that I could make say on just the left handed turns that would help to cure the rotation in that direction, i.e. strap one arm down Laughing or something similar! Mind you with some of this an awareness that I have been doing something has helped to effect a cure, so maybe the spotting of it is a start. I might try going down with the poles held out horizontally in front of me, it might keep the shoulders still altogether.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I rotate the shoulders when I turn to my left

Quote:

Does anyone know of an exercise or an action that I could make say on just the left handed turns that would help to cure the rotation in that direction, i.e. strap one arm down or something similar!

Be careful what you wish for wink In my experience, twisty shoulders are a symptom of something else that the skier is, or more likely, isn't doing at the start of the turn. Exercises that "keep the shoulders still" will hide the problem up to point but once the skier is under pressure (steeper terrain / variable snow / skiing faster) the twisty shoulder thing will more than likely come back.
Spend some time with a good instructor to find out the cause of the twisty shoulders, figure out a drill that addresses that cause and the twisty shoulders will become a thing of the past.
I'd like to be able to give you a drill to help you on your way, but for that I would want to see you ski in real life, find out what you're thinking about and feeling at various parts of the turn and then figure out a way to approach the problem...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
I might try going down with the poles held out horizontally in front of me, it might keep the shoulders still altogether.

That's the one. Hold the poles at the ends and make sure you take your hands out of the wrist loops first so you won't get all tangled up if you fall.

IMV, the exercise brings an instant improvement to many folks' skiing. Just a shame they don't persist with it as it all goes to pot again when they put their poles back to normal.

For added concentration, point your thumbs up in the air as well and focus on a target in the distance. Then, as your skis point left, align the target with your right thumb. As you turn right, slide the target smoothly along your poles until it's aligned with your left thumb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's sometimes worth trying just skiing without the poles for a day - they can cause a lot of unnecessary arm flailing. There's a reason why instructors start beginners without them. I skied without poles for a couple of hours at the end of the season because we went up with three adults and two very small children - so adults needed arms free for helping the kids (one had a harness thing) and, of course, for filming all the action.

I was just focussing on what was happening with the kids, and around us, and not on my own skiing at all and I suspect I skied better than usual because of that - needing to be in control all the time, and at low speed.

I think this is a particularly useful exercise for people who are very reluctant to be parted from their poles. I'm not suggesting they're not useful - essential maybe - for certain kinds of advanced skiing but if somebody can't even contemplate a couple of blue runs without them, something is seriously wrong!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer wrote:

What it means is that we are not allowing time for our balance to be established properly on the new outside ski at the very start of the turn...

Allow more time to get balanced on the new ski and the slight stem will disappear

Spot on IMHO.

Quote:
as well as gaining early edge control all the way through the turn........

Allow the ski to do it's work before rotating it. I hope this makes sense.

I would advocate pivotting / steering / rotating both skis (whichever term you're familiar with) before setting the edge.

And specifically for you Megamum continuing to turn both skis across the fall line to turn completion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

And specifically for you Megamum continuing to turn both skis across the fall line to turn completion.

Puzzled but if I do this ^^^ won't that lead to me to over completing the turn and potentially increasing the traverse which is what I am trying to avoid? I thought I was trying to blend one turn into the next and to loose the traverse?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Turning isn't traversing, over completing the turn will lead you to make a series of C shaped turns

C
Ɔ
C
Ɔ
C
Ɔ

Turns with a traverse would look like

(__
__)
(__
__)
(__
__)

or even

(________________
________________)
(________________
________________)
(________________
________________)

Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Me and Poles Laughing As everyone knows I have a love/hate relationship with them!! I still struggle to use them properly, but I am aware that they function a bit like a child's security blanket. If I am asked or choose not to use them 'conventionally', hold them out front as I suggest above, I still go through a conscious thought train, 'can I do this, or course you can do this, you just have to move your feet differently', but altis, is right, it immediately makes me ski differently if I don't hold them conventionally and I haven't the foggiest idea why.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 28-04-14 13:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, twisty shoulders could be down to the fact your not getting your weight onto the new outside ski, hence you have no platform to make the turn from.

You could try doing short turns with both poles held upside down and vertically pointing towards the roof, creating a "picture frame", then at the top focus on a single point at the bottom, in a straight line from where you are stood.

Then look thru the poles to that point and ski down, making sure that point stays in the centre of your picture frame at all times. Then do it slower, then slower again Smile Chuck in some plough parallels at slow speeds and you'll soon find out if your weight is on the correct ski at the right time!!

To do this you will have to keep your upper body still.

Has any of your instructors discussed moving your legs from the ball joint of your hip and keeping the upper body still?? Did they give you any drills that you liked working on that point?

altis, trying to visualise what your saying, surely moving the target from thumb to thumb will encourage upper body movement, not discourage it?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 28-04-14 13:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lynseyf, Ah, so I need to aim at fully completed C's all linked together, rather than the shape described by these ~~~~~~~~~~ if they were all joined up
snow report
The experts must surely admit that getting the weight quickly on to the new outside ski whilst at the same time completing the turn is quite tricky. The transition is, for me, possibly the single most difficult aspect of skiing to get right.
snow conditions
Quote:

Has any of your instructors discussed moving your legs from the ball joint of your hip and keeping the upper body still?? Did they give you any drills that you liked working on that point?

The one that springs to mind is a successful session spent on slow speed snowploughs with me facing down the hill. It kind of felt as though my hips were wiggling around a figure of 8 shape. Luckily awareness has dawned on what I am trying to achieve, I have to keep the upper body in one place and move the legs side to side under me, I have also felt what it will take to do it, I just need loads of practice and use all the above drills to train the upper body to keep still whilst the legs do the moving. I want to achieve it, because then it might look like I am skiing well.
ski holidays
Pedantica, that's it!!! That is what the problem is - you do have good insight! Very Happy I have very little problem getting the weight over the outside ski if I allow myself the time in a traverse to do so - i.e. enough time to manage tap, pause, stand, I can probably make a fairly good C shaped turn at the end of a traverse, but to do them constantly means being quick with the weight transfer. I need to make the pauses shorter.
latest report
Megamum, yes, that's it. Sometimes I feel like my upper body is floating down the mountain and my legs are dangling about below.
snow report
lampbus, 'dangling about' is a technical term new to me. wink
snow conditions
kitenski, yep, probably better to say 'keep the target in the window'.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
The experts must surely admit that getting the weight quickly on to the new outside ski whilst at the same time completing the turn is quite tricky. The transition is, for me, possibly the single most difficult aspect of skiing to get right.

ABSOLUTELY!! Hence why BASI courses spend lots of time doing very slow plough parallel turns, all your faults get shown up in about 1 or 2 turns!!

Megamum, if you don't finish the turn as described then each turn will get a little bit faster, you'll start to lose control and it all goes downhill (sic) from there

Megamum wrote:
Quote:

The one that springs to mind is a successful session spent on slow speed snowploughs with me facing down the hill. It kind of felt as though my hips were wiggling around a figure of 8 shape. Luckily awareness has dawned on what I am trying to achieve, I have to keep the upper body in one place and move the legs side to side under me, I have also felt what it will take to do it, I just need loads of practice and use all the above drills to train the upper body to keep still whilst the legs do the moving. I want to achieve it, because then it might look like I am skiing well.

BINGO! Do that on the bottom half indoor next time you go, or get onto the nursey slope if you can. Get someone to video it and post it up Smile
latest report
Megamum, I still think that just leaving the poles behind for a couple of hours, rather than thinking about complicated things to do with your thumbs would be a good move. The more worried you are about going without them, the more important that is!

Quote:

getting the weight quickly on to the new outside ski whilst at the same time completing the turn is quite tricky.

one thing which helped me was "inner leg extension", done with Rick Schnellman in Les Deux Alpes (though frequently forgotten at stressful moments since!).

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Inside_Leg_Extension.html

with this technique you rapidly get your weight onto the uphill (shortly to become the new outside wink ) ski. Works really well (when you remember......)
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled but if I do this ^^^ won't that lead to me to over completing the turn and potentially increasing the traverse which is what I am trying to avoid? I thought I was trying to blend one turn into the next and to loose the traverse?

The extreme example of what you call 'over completing the turn' is a 360 on snow.

This involves minimal traversing.

Somewhere between where you are now Megamum and a 360 on snow lies the amount of turn completion you need to execute the rounded short radius turns you'd like to perform consistently.

How much is the great imponderable.

It depends on a number of factors including but not limited to :

your speed on snow
the turn radius you're looking to perform
the pitch of the slope
the condition of the snow surface
your skis

The added benefit of completing the turn is that you will take less speed into the next turn giving you more time to transition balance to the new downhill / outside ski.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:

Just like riding a bicycle. Pedal smoothly, standing up in a med-high gear.
snow report
Quote:

Pedal smoothly

that's the feeling you get from the inner leg extension, when it goes right.
ski holidays
Precisely...needs timing, so don't rush it (hence high gear).
When on skis, straight run on a shallow slope then start with small, smooth 'turns' of the 'pedals' (in a down vector, not sideways). Then work your way up.
Feels effortless.
snow report
Pedalling is one of the first things I was ever told by an English instructor - it was my take away from my very first snow-dome session with dear Spyderman. I shall have to remember to remember it. Hands forward, complete the turns and pedal, aiming for a good positive weight change onto the uphill ski at just the right moment. However, the good news is that I haven't been sent away on work this week (which was what I was expecting), I might therefore get another snow-dome session next Saturday Very Happy Now two sessions in two weeks sounds like the sort of timing that I should make an improvement with.

Quote:

to execute the rounded short radius turns you'd like to perform consistently.

Mike Pow, this ^^^ is what I want to do at the moment - a snow-dome is space limited, but if I try the short turns there I get many more of them in a run to practice than I would if I was looking at longer turns so I think I will do more of them next week. I think I've got to the stage where I comprehend what I need to be doing to turn like this, I just need to practice, practice, practice, drill, drill, drill, until it starts to happen without thinking about it. I think it is in me to do it, maybe I should set a goal - management training says goals are good. OK, how about it's something I want to achieve by the end of the summer. From those that know, does that sound achievable if I, say, got in a couple of hours per month at a snow-dome?

I think being able to do the short turns well will prove useful on steeper slopes as a way to control my descent speed so doing them well sounds useful to master.

NB. that last video was on the centre hired Head Rev 70 (I think) skis - rather surprisingly, they ski quite nicely inside and better than my Wave Magics - I don't think they would be stiff enough on the big mountain to crack through the crud and heavy spring snow we had this year, but in the dome they are fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

one thing which helped me was "inner leg extension", done with Rick Schnellman in Les Deux Alpes (though frequently forgotten at stressful moments since!).

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Inside_Leg_Extension.html

That made my brain hurt. Badly.
latest report
Quote:

That made my brain hurt. Badly

Laughing It's easier on the mountain. wink
snow conditions
Megamum, You want goals?? Here you go...

http://youtube.com/v/2Fs2jkOA74o
snow conditions
ALQ, our very own little tiger doing the demo-ing to Rick's rather lugubrious voice-over.
snow report
ALQ, That's SH's own Little Tiger, so where am I in that progression at the moment?
snow conditions
Pedantica, snap!
snow conditions
So I got to CFe again yesterday Very Happy (MU lost, but don't tell the lads).

Minimum_1 took the hand held video camera onto the snow and tried videoing me as she skied down after me, so the footage, though closer, is not exactly smooth in places as she was dodging other slope users (Including some rather fine telemarkers!!). However, I spent the entire session thinking - 'forwards'. In many cases making a conscious effort ALQ, to hold my hands up and forward and did I find it difficult to remember to do so. I'd start the run with good intentions and hands held up and after a couple of turns would find I'd dropped one or both!! However, I've put together about 2.5 minutes of footage, could someone take a look and see if I'm less in the back seat as a result please? I took MM1 too (whilst standing at the bottom) and she is in the blue in the middle for one run.

I spent the first hour doing drills - I did some v. slow snowplough turns with my poles in a point under my arms some tap, stand and some one legged skiing - there is some in the video preceded by an exceptionally nasty turn where I tried to get balanced to lift a leg and failed,

https://vimeo.com/93779578

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 5-05-14 14:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum, weren't you tempted by the bumps? Toofy Grin
latest report
Megamum, Did you FEEL more centred and less "back"??
Certainly looks ok, just freeze a frame and look if your hips/bum are over your feet or more towards the tails of your skis. looks ok to me. In fact it's quite a nice bum Toofy Grin
A little tip......youre doing well with the hand s carriage/position...keep that up & just try having your downhill/outside hand (the one just about to make the pole plant) a little lower through the turn, than the other (I don't mean lower toward your hip pocket, I mean lower as if on a steering whee,l at about 7oclock on a clock face with the upper hand in a natural position at nipple level. This should be another reason to remind you to keep em up n forwards as well as encouraging your shoulders to angle the same as the slope, which will help develop your natural(dare I say it.....) ANGULATION

Are we confooozed yet Puzzled
Generally I'm seeing you improving significantly & catching me up pretty fast, "I better Up my game" wink
snow report
sarah, the bumps were HUGE!! and then they had the jumps down their length - it looked like the bumps course at the winter Olympics.

franzClammer, It largely felt OK, but then it felt OK before too Laughing I think the stem is steadily vanishing, and I was pleased with the one legged footage. It's the straying of the hand towards the hip pocket that I've got to remember to keep control of. What I did notice is that because I was concentrating on the forwards and the hands, I lost the short turn side to side motion - damn - need to multi-task!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 4-05-14 21:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Megamum, Did you FEEL more centred and less "back"??
Certainly looks ok, just freeze a frame and look if your hips/bum are over your feet or more towards the tails of your skis. looks ok to me. In fact it's quite a nice bum Toofy Grin
A little tip......youre doing well with the hand s carriage/position...keep that up & just try having your downhill/outside hand (the one just about to make the pole plant) a little lower through the turn, than the other (I don't mean lower toward your hip pocket, I mean lower as if on a steering whee,l at about 7oclock on a clock face with the upper hand in a natural position at nipple level. This should be another reason to remind you to keep em up n forwards as well as encouraging your shoulders to angle the same as the slope, which will help develop your natural(dare I say it.....) ANGULATION

Are we confooozed yet Puzzled
Generally I'm seeing you improving significantly & catching me up pretty fast, "I better Up my game" wink

Did somebody swallow a manual?
snow conditions
franzClammer, I don't think you should be talking about nipples Shocked Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy