Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen to Hintertux transport?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Mayrhofen in a few days time and fancy spending a day at Hintertux. Is it worth looking at taxi transfers as there are eight of us or would you recommend jumping on the free bus? Any idea on taxi costs. As usual any advice is much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The bus is a good option. However one day when I was there, the bus simply didn't turn up and we had to dash back into town to sort out a taxi.

Then we got held up by some cows.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damn cows always getting in the way! How long does it take typically in the bus?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
35 - 40 mins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pmercer wrote:
Damn cows always getting in the way!

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
just take the green line bus from the train station. It takes 35 min.
They are pretty frequent. All included on ski pass.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 24-02-14 20:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is the link to the bus timetable

The bus has green line in big letter on the side

http://www.tux.at/fileadmin/PDF/Busplaene/BUSPLAENE_QR/Green_LineQR.pdf
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like 8 of you would cost 64 euro each way. The bus is reliable enough and they normally put a few extra on in busy times.
http://www.taxikroell.com/index.php/en/taxipreise.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers everyone sounds like the bus will be the best option. Next question is it worth the journey? My thinking is that the forecast is a little warm whilst I'm there so the snow is likely to be best up on the glacier. Any advice on which runs tend to have the best snow of the mayrhofen slopes?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
on the way up def get the bus from the station, you'll get a seat then. On way back there doesn't seem to be a real timeable they just leave when full!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it is worth a day up there. In terms of Mayrhofen, my preference is to take the 150 tux and then ski across to the Eggalm area. If you look on the piste map, you will see a ski route on the left hand side of the raskogel ski area. Take that and it brings you out at eggalm. You also want to try Kaltenbach and Zell which you can get to on the free train.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pmercer wrote:
Cheers everyone sounds like the bus will be the best option. Next question is it worth the journey?

It's fantastic. It can be concrete hard first thing in the morning, so look out for that.

I had more fun there than at Mayrhofen, but it was extremely late in the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you didn't have much in your wallet the day you met the cows! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog, What was her name, Daisy or Gertrude?

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it worth it ? !!! Depends on your point of view. There are three gondolas to the top and queues can be long. Can be very windy so check before you go. On the other hand I did enjoy the 900 vertical meters of powder moguls down to the Sommerbergalm !!! Glad I went but won't rush back. For me there are better ways to spend a day in the Zillertal. One of my Favorites is to ski from Zell to Konigsleiten particularly pistes 21, 36 and 1. You can ski back in the day but we usually catch the free service bus back from Konigsleiten. Here is the bus timetable http://www.zillertalarena.com/UserFiles/Media/allgemein/pdf/Skibus%202013-14/Christophorus%20Mayrhofen-Koenigsleiten.pdf

Finally never use the Penkenbahn instead take the Free ski bus to the Horbergbahn its only 10 min and then no queues plus you get a seat on the gondola. Bus time table links https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101117/skibus.html

Have a good time.
snow report
Quote:

Finally never use the Penkenbahn instead take the Free ski bus to the Horbergbahn its only 10 min and then no queues

Went on my first trip to Mayrhofen at the end of last month. I'd heard all about the queues at the Penken yet walked straight on both mornings we skied that area.
ski holidays
Spend a day at Kaltenbach and ski over to Hochzillertal. They linked them a year or 2 after I left Munich and one or the other was always a favourite day destination. Hochzillertal can catch serious amounts of snow. Do NOT ski back down to Kaltenbach, take the gondola. The piste (can't remember which Austrian ski legend it's named after) is narrow, often icy and invariably full of bevvied guys with too much testosterone and not enough control. Not a risk worth taking when there's so much good skiing to be had at higher altitude.
snow report
You don't have to go to the train station if it's too far for you, the Green Line bus also stops outside the Apoteke (Pharmacy) in the main street.

IMO, the trip to Hintertux has never been worth it. The problem is that if you really want good snow at the end of the season then the glacier is the best place for it, but everyone from the whole valley will be up there and it really isn't that big! Not as big as it looks on the piste map. I'm sure that plenty of others will disagree with me though, it's only my opinion.

grazzenger wrote:
Spend a day at Kaltenbach and ski over to Hochzillertal. They linked them a year or 2 after I left Munich and one or the other was always a favourite day destination. Hochzillertal can catch serious amounts of snow. Do NOT ski back down to Kaltenbach, take the gondola. The piste (can't remember which Austrian ski legend it's named after) is narrow, often icy and invariably full of bevvied guys with too much testosterone and not enough control. Not a risk worth taking when there's so much good skiing to be had at higher altitude.

The piste you refer to is the Eberharter Goldpiste. I've skied it many many times and I completely agree with you! First thing in the morning it's one of the best runs in the whole valley. At 4pm, incredibly dangerous. Avoid. Also agree about Hoch Fugen, absolutely brilliant place on a powder day! Well worth the trip if you start early.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy