Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway - Trysil - holiday report

Poster: A snowHead
Well, got back from Trysil in Norway yesterday after a great week. There was loads of snow on the beautifully bashed pistes. Queues weren't too bad, given that it was their half term as well as ours (which I didn't realise when I booked it!) The lowest temperature all week was -6, but we never once felt cold. The lifts were open from 0900 till about 1630, which was fine for us. There was floodlit skiing on Weds and Fri nights - unbelievably there were still people skiing at 11pm (eek). We stayed at the Radisson which was really nice; the apartment was stunning and the food good. The "transfer" from the airport turned out to be an ordinary public bus which runs just a few times per day, starting at 04.45, so beware (any questions or tips, just ask). The hotel was pretty much a resort so we only ventured into "town" once and it was pretty limited to be honest, so didn't bother again. The bus coming back didn't turn up but a really kind lady in the Knut Hotel gave us a lift back - amazing hospitality. I can definately recommend it for a family break, although it is on the expensive side. However, we just nicked stuff from the breakfast buffet for lunch and were on half board so we didn't need much spending money. We bought some booze in from the supermarket opposite so didn't spend much on that. The mountainside cafes had cheap hot chocolate, so that softened the blow. In all, I agree with Damobloke that it is a really nice place and makes a nice change from Europe and is definately worth a look for something different.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Queues weren't too bad,

what were they like? It seems from other half term reports that people vary a lot in their judgement of what constitutes a bad lift queue!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, I would say that from Friday to Tuesday you had to shuffle/barge/get barged in a queue for button lifts (which you need to get up above the nursery slopes) for approximately 5 minutes. When up on the mountain there was practically no wait for chairlifts though at any time. If they can just sort out that initial stage it would be very good indeed. We didn't make it over to the other side of the mountain, so not sure what it was like over there. So all-in-all I would say that my tolerance is about 5 minutes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bambionskiis, I was wondering how you got on, sounds like a good trip. The Radisson is nice isn't it? What sort of apartment did you have ? I raised an issue with them over what I considered to be a dangerous gas fire in our room - they gave me £500 back. So all worked out even better !

Was it the return transfer that didn't arrive ? Sounds bad. To be honest I found the transfers spot on, assuming we went with the same company?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We really liked the Radisson but as anticipated had loads of problems on the holiday. As the agent hadn’t booked what we asked and we found out too late for a cheaper room so we had to spend even more money upgrading to a prestige apartment (which was really lovely). The problem there was that the hotel then charged up breakfasts for the upgrade that we had already paid for in the original booking and refused to look any further leaving us 44NOK per day down. The agent has promised to look into it. Well done on the refund for the gas fire; sounds like you may have been right for them to have paid up. The transfers were a nightmare. The driver would not accept ours and several other families’ tickets. Due to some miracle, and mad panicking between 2 buses who were going to leave at any time, I managed to get away with paying the 500NOK fare that we had already paid on the original booking. The return journey saw the driver refusing to accept our tickets, saying that the company we had paid it through “never pay their bills” and they didn’t want to be out of pocket, so we ended up paying 500NOK and are trying to recoup it. Meant to say that the bus that didn’t turn up was the return one from town and not the airport transfer. Thankfully everything else on the holiday was fab and definitely DIY booking next time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bambionskiis, Who was your agent ? Sounds like time to 'name and shame'. I will book DIY in future too but that is no reflection on our agent, Ski Safari, who were well informed and had everything in hand for a smooth trip. I wonder how one agent can get it so badly wrong when the actual process is so easy?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know, I actually think my 9 year old could hv done a better job! They've threatened legal action if I name them, so I can't. Hopefully they can redeem themselves a bit by sorting it out. Ski Safari sounds like a good out; will bear them in mind. I used Snowfinders before who were fab, but I don't think they did Norway. Cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

They've threatened legal action if I name them

For what? Giving a factual statement of an event which happened on holiday. Tell them to do one! Your agent sounds terrible - transfers refusing to take you and hotel doesn't have the right booking. Well dodge.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bambionskiis, Nothing they can do if you simply report the facts, if they are behaving like that time to go to trading standards as you didn't get what you had paid for.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bambionskiis,
Quote:
makes a nice change from Europe

Last time I looked Norway was in Europe wink

How extensive was the skiing?

I seem to remember folk saying the skiing in Norway isn't too challenging?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers guys. In an agony aunt stylee, it's good to get it off my chest on here - I'm not normally a moaner, so sorry. To be honest, we just want to concentrate on getting our money back and don't want to upset the applecart. I forgot to mention also that we were lucky that we were delayed at Heathrow by 2.5 hours as, when we got to Oslo, we found out that the next bus wasn't for hours, so we would have been waiting there for ages. Oslo airport seemed fine, but Heathrow definately better to get stuck in!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We absolutely loved Trysil, 2-year-old trip report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2021796

We also had issues with getting around the resort without a car, and of course the high price of buying booze. But otherwise probably the best overall experience I've ever had skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah I thought that Layne, but it isn't part of the European union (lucky bugs in my opion). They are "trading partners", whatever that means, and they have their own currency (NOK) which is a pain as we'll have to change it back. At least Euro's will probably get used next year. I can't speak for any other part of Norway, but by my own wobbly skiing, it was extensive enough for me! Looking at the piste map, it seems to be mainly greens and reds

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.skistar.com/EPi7PageFiles/39950/alpkart_ferdig1280x720.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.skistar.com/en/trysil/skipass-skiing/piste-map/&h=720&w=1280&sz=730&tbnid=gswYTmS2w7s8jM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=160&zoom=1&usg=__VTuwxcxaiUEQnrNCnT1q6898q6c=&docid=q3S2o-e5rJBX_M&sa=X&ei=BZkQU_XEIYmshQfi_4DwBQ&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA .

Plenty of people seemed to be coming back very happy, so it seemed to have something for everyone, but probably not extreme skiiers. Although some nut jobs were taking on ungroomed, near-verticals under the chairlift, so perhaps...... The pistes are beautifully groomed, loads of snow and fab skiing. Booze prices are eyewatering, but that's what supermarkets are for, for us!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Booze prices are eyewatering, but that's what supermarkets are for, for us!!!!

I thought they had a special sort of government shop which sells booze - and has a monopoly?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
May well do, but unfortunately the only thing near us was a regular supermarket which was OKish - certainly cheaper than the bar anyway!
snow conditions
you can buy beer in supermarkets but for wine & spirits you have to go to the Gov. shop still expensive but not as much as in the bars , also they are few and far between! so best to buy wine & spirits in the airport on way there.
ski holidays
Hello, am new to this forum, but we too just skied at Trysil in half term. we have been to Hemsedal twice and Geilo. We loved Trysil, lovely pistes, good mix of runs and lots and lots of snow.
We stayed in a detached chalet, flew with Ba to oslo and hired a car.
We love Norway, thinking of somewhere else next year, but cant bear the thought of queus.
ski holidays
On the booze front, we take our own wine, with BA you have so much luggage allowance you can sneak in a few boxes!
ski holidays
The Vin Monopol sells all kinds of alcohol. You can only get beer in the supermarkets, and that can still be pricy. When I was in one of the supermarkets, l was suprised that I thought I was buying a six pack or a slab but it was "per can"! Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy