Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to let the kids loose on the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ed123 wrote:
a.j. wrote:
At 16 I guess it's probably time to officially allow offpiste without you?

Not sure about that. Possibly between pistes- i.e. between blue runs del within resort on the same angled/ aspect slopes as the blues. But elsewhere?

Yeah I'm not sure about it either, it's a stage we haven't come to yet - but I'm thinking at 18 we went skiing on our own (with uni) so presumably at some point prior to that you want them to try it out...but also yes, Shocked Cross that bridge when we get to it I guess.

FWIW I was more thinking with the 12/13 we are very much STAY ON PISTE - no not in those trees you think link up with the other piste, actually ON IT, between the markers. Whereas at 14/15 (and experienced!) I'd expect to say 'in sight of piste and sensible/done before' so the powder at the edge, the mini kicker and the blast through the trees are 'allowed'. But at some point you have to say 'your call, you know what you are doing, just bear in mind if you die I'll never get over it' Skullie tbh the odds of a 16 year old doing what you say are so slim anyway I'd rather they felt they could call us for help if they made a mistake than trying to ride it out so we wouldn't know...That assumes they have been going offpiste with you for years though and are uber cool by this point, if not, then obv hell no!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We let our 11 and 10 year olds "loose" this year for the first time. Nothing too dramatic - we all set off up the same drag lift, with the kids getting off half way up to go to the snowpark, with the adults going to the top to ski their own way back. The agreement was: "Don't go anywhere else and we'll meet again at the bottom of the lift". The kids were only out of sight for 10-15 minutes each time, but they survived OK. Next year, I'm sure we'll increase the scope of their unaccompanied activities.

I'd agree with the comments above that it's the positional awareness and navigation that are the issue rather than ski safety. I'd also agree that one has to allow for each kid's character. Our 11 year old is very sensible and practical, whereas the 10 year old can be something of a "space cadet" and would forget her head if it wasn't firmly attached to her body. Luckily, whilst the 10 year old ignores our good advice most of the time, when she's out with her elder sister, she meekly does as she's instructed without complaint!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have had a similar thread to this previously and I posted an answer on that http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105380#2412843 However, the OP might find the whole thread an interesting read.

We are just back and this time the kids went off for a good hour at a time on their own at the top of the mountain - now 14 and 12. This time I didn't make them come and wave at us, but they were good, they answered their phones when it was time to finish up, came back, and apparently even coped with taking a wrong turn and having to drop down to a lower lift on the mountain and come all the way back to the top without an issue. It has to be said that the resort is a fairly straight forward layout, not huge and they were on their third year there. Their instructor again had told me (as last years did) that he wouldn't have an issue with them doing just what they did. Again they went in a pair and stayed together, but with the youngest a sensible 12 this year I would have let him loop the top on his own without a concern.

After all for many years now they have coped with riding lifts by themselves when we have been separated by queues and then re-grouped at the top so that isn't a concern, and they ski better than I do so really there shouldn't be an issue. It's down to - do you know your kids are going to stick to the boundaries you set, are you happy with their knowledge of the area you are going to let them loose in and are they sensible enough to cope if they, for example, miss an expected lift. You can't wrap them in cotton wool forever IMO. I stick a 10E in each pocket too - if they get dis-orientated they have instructions to take themselves into a mountain restaurant and get a drink whilst they contact us. It is perhaps a good idea to use regular bars around the mountain and then suggest that if they can they select places that they know we will check them first should the need arise.

The only thing I've never seen mentioned is whether any resorts have a definition of ages below which kids should be closely accompanied, or is it just like 'home alone' i.e. common sense applies.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're probably more relaxed about this than a lot of people. Over Christmas this year our almost 7 year old was allowed to do some loops on his own of a small lift which we could see 100% of from where we were standing. Very easy terrain (flat beginner area really, but with a few small rails at one side), slow chair and no chance of getting lost. His older brother at 7 was allowed to do a slightly longer run in a different area which did actually go out of sight. Again chosen so that he couldn't get lost - ski down to lift, up lift, follow the run back down underneath it. Since then we've done go ahead and we'll meet up, or do a loop while we stop, or go via a different run to meet up at the same lift at the bottom. By 10 he was able to go up alone in small areas he knew well - so no issues of navigation. Now at 12, we haven't really let him loose with just a map in an area he doesn't know yet though, although we do often test him with a map to see if he knows where he is, or ask him how would we get to point X.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd let my 14 year old loose on the slopes - if only he wanted to!! He much prefers to ski with us for the company. Might be different if we went in a group with others of his age, but he's never shown any sign of wanting to disappear off on his own. As a 13 year old, I'd have probably said not - but maturity can change rapidly through those years. Aged 16 I stayed at home for 2 weeks whilst my family went away on holiday, I thought nothing of it - I would definitely baulk at that!!

That's not to say that we always have sight of him when he skis. But we always have a discussion on a lift about where we are going now, and which lift we're taking next, so he's always at the bottom waiting for us. He'll happily explore 30m off piste or through trees, seeking out jumps etc, but invariably likes the adulation (!) when we see what he has been up to, putting our skiing to shame!

My 8 year old just had his first skiing holiday, and we typed up a short sheet of paper with all of our phone numbers on, his insurance company details and messages in English, French and German for him to hand to a stranger saying something along the lines of "If you're reading this I'm lost or injured - please help me!!". That wasn't intending that he'd ski alone, just in case for whatever reason we got separated unexpectedly.

Matt
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our kids mostly choose to ski with us! When they were small (started at 8 & 4) for obvious reasons. Now adults and we LIKE skiing in a group. There are usually 4 of us and sometimes we split into 2 pairs or 1 /3 for a bit but we usually meet up at a given point. I don't particularly like skiing alone and I was brought up by skiing parents to think it was quite a dangerous thing to do.
I once got separated from an advanced (fast) class (I was bringing up the rear!) by falling through soft snow into a river... I was alone, ankle + deep in cold water and the bank was 4ft high (I am only 5 ft 2) with a me sized hole in the top. It was very scary and in the days before mobile phones. Would I have had the Instructor's number anyway? I had to take off my skis , fetch them out of the water and throw them out of the hole, then climb (clamber) up the bank using my sticks to get out. Wet and cross and scared...I continued down to the nearest lift and they were in fact waiting for me....but they hadn't come looking. Now if that had been a kid who couldn't get out, or if I had been injured, it would not have been such a happy end.

Good idealarkim, we also gave our kids enough Euros for a snack and drink, in fact I give out money and a chocolate bar and a piste map to all members of party adults and kids alike every morning. I also point out to them where the emergency number is to be found - on piste map..or put it into the phone on day 1.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At 14 I skied on my own on the L2A glacier in summer. The first day mum came up to the glacier with me (she didn't ski) and went to the ice grotto and we had lunch together and came down ,the rest of the holiday I went up on my own and met them back at the hotel later in the day. No mobile phone then!

Before then I'd only ever been with school who kept us in groups.

At 16 with school we skied independently without adults or defined groups.

Obviously totally depends on the child, how sensible they are, how independent they are, if they like skiing alone/with friends etc. Hard call I think. I had a day skiing on my own in SC this year, and several times I ended up on very deserted pistes so the assertion there is always someone around isn't always accurate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowyowl, I encourage mine to ski alone as it gives them a chance to explore skiing at their level rather than to be constrained by mine. I think they probably prefer to go off as a pair than by themselves at the moment though. I am also a member of the mars bar and contact details in the pocket brigade, though they also wear DogTag's insurance tags which have a direct link to their details online too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
our kids were 6 and 8 when they could go down reds, youngest used to race off all the time...nothng has changed and he's 21 !!! they both started to out ski me when they were about 14....these days its a non starter trying....last time i tried to keep up i broke my knee !!!
don't teach your kids to ski till they are at least 30...you have a chance then Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We started our daughter on skis shortly after her first steps - about one and a half. We had some of those buckle on skis that fit over her regular boots. we then held her between our legs as we skiied. She loved it. She was able to get comfy on skis, got used to the helmet and goggles, and just used to the feel of sliding over snow. This year we have upgraded to real ski boots, skis and bindings (all used).

She loved it and so did we!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lalitv74, assuming she is 2 1/2 ish now I give it 1, maybe 2 more ski trips till you are struggling to keep up with her!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, have a good read of the policy though, don't think I'll be using them again as the way it reads to me (and their call centre wouldn't say if I was right or wrong on this) stuff kids get up to like going over that kicker someone has built at the side of the piste may well not be covered (and it certainly isn't covered if they go and play in park).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davkt, I'll take a look - thanks for the heads up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy