Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine to Avoriaz by Bike

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not strictly a skiing question but it is specifically about a ski resort so hopefully that's ok!

I'm going to be out in Morzine for four weeks from 15th March and in addition to plenty of skiing I am also planning to take my bike with me. I'm in training for the 2014 Dragon Ride so thought it might be quite a good chance to get some hilly miles into my legs.

I was just wondering what conditions on the main road up to Avoriaz might be like during late March/early April. I'm assuming that it's kept well ploughed and cleared so that resort traffic can get through but is it ridiculously busy say in the early afternoon of a typical weekday? Do you ever see anyone doing the ride at that time of year?

For info I'll be taking out my steel tourer with mudguards and 28mm tyres so hopefully should deal with the road conditions ok.

I've obviously got the valley roads to play with to but if anyone has got any suggestions for good road bike routes at this time of year I'd be very keen to hear.

Many thanks
Gareth
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The road is already clear of snow, and is quickly cleared after the snowfalls we've had in the last week or so. Can only imagine it would take a HUGE dump to get it in a state where it's not rideable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef, Thanks, good to know. Just got to work out a way to get my skis up on the bike and my bike down on the skis!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do one jounrney taking your skis up on the supermorzine and then chairlifts, and then get a bus down, or take a leisurely stroll back to the SuperMorzine. Then cycle up and ski back and then do in reverse
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gazatron, Should be fine during the day, just avoid the pisties screaming up early in the morning.
Other options are the rd up to Col D'Encrenaz, not too busy.
The back road up to Lac de Montriond is quieter.
Route up the valley de la Manche is a good steady climb and quiet too.
Guess the Joux plane is quiet too. Can only go as far as Des Fys anyway.

Just make sure you have a hi viz vest so you can be seen.
Have fun.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Given how super keen the French are on cycling, and how stuffed with bikes the resorts are all summer, there must be a good reason why in 12 years of spending 12 weeks in the mountains in winter I have practically never seen any.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Given how super keen the French are on cycling, and how stuffed with bikes the resorts are all summer, there must be a good reason why in 12 years of spending 12 weeks in the mountains in winter I have practically never seen any.

They're all in Mallorca...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DallyPaul, thanks for the info. Will do a bit of investigation and route planning over the next couple of weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I reckon a loop out from Morzine to Le Biot over the Col du Corbier down the Vallee d'Abondance and back up the Vallee d'Aulps to Morzine would build some fitness.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy