Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Ski Season Advice!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm strongly considering doing a ski season at the end of this year in Europe but could do with a bit of advice.

I'd like a resort that's got a good social scene (so basically loads of bars and popular among people in their 20's), at the foot of the mountain so there's no need for long bus journeys to the slopes, and obviously great skiing? Would Tignes and Meribel fit the bill?

As for work, seen as I can't cook, drive or speak another language, i take it chalet host is out of the question but how about a chalet assistant or resort rep? Are there any particular things i'd need to have done previously to get one of these jobs?

When is the best time to apply for jobs? I've heard it's best for someone new to a ski season to try and get a job with a tour operator before leaving the UK? Which are the best tour operators? And is there anything I could do now to have a better chance of getting a job?

I'm starting to save up now but roughly what's the minimum amount of money you'd need to save before going on a season?

Thanks for your help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would start contacting all the TO's. Many chalet hosts are students on gap years etc. I doubt they have cooking skills etc. and you will get training. Perhaps you could take a part time language course to show you are serious with your application.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joecooper158, welcome to snowHeads.

I'd start with Natives - always was the place for seasonnaires and lists of available jobs, plus it has a forum for asking all manner of questions.

IIRC, September is when many TOs start hiring. As for anything you could do now....start learning to cook? Handy life skill in any event...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes & Meribel would fit the bill.
TOs start recruitment in May - as soon as the season is over!
Try googling for courses teaching chalet cooking skills.
Money - well, that depends on what you reckon you'll be buying each week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some sort of work in the hospitality/catering industry would be helpful. Have you ever been a waiter or worked on a customer service helpline? Do you like dealing with people?

The standard of chalets/hotels and service provided by different companies varies. And the skills/experience they look for in the staff varies with this.

To be a rep you would need to drive, ski/board to a good standard and probably speak the language passably well.

To be a host you would need to be able to cook. If you like cooking you could do a course like this one.
http://www.orchardscookery.co.uk/our-courses/chalet-cooks--1/
If you don't enjoy cooking though, it's not the job for you.

Large chalet hotels have staff who are hosts but not cooks. They serve, wash up and might help with basic prep, such as peeling spuds.

Hotels will have people who just wash dishes. Might be a dull task, but good for maximum time on the mountain.

We were told that there are 3 things to do in a ski resort: ski, party and work. We were also told it is only possible to do 2 at a time well, and one had to be the work. If your focus is more on the skiing than the partying you'll need to save less, as accomodation, ski hire, lift pass and most food will be provided to you. If you want to party hard, start saving. But your (small) salary can go a reasonable way if all you spend it on is beer.

The more public facing jobs have the potential to earn tips, and chalet hosts can run honesty bars or make packed lunches to bring in a bit extra.

Good luck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could still be a chalet bod without cooking, as there are always assistants required. If you don't like cooking, and are not prepared to take it seriously by brushing up your skills properly may I suggest you avoid that option! There are too many so called chalet cooks out there who don't really know how to cook for larger numbers. They end up panicking when they get to the resort as they realise they have to churn out meals for over a dozen people each day for 18 weeks. Even if the menu is set for them, their food ends up being pretty crap. (Here speaks the voice of experience as well as a qualified cook).

Definitely apply early-late spring or early summer. If you are a more mature applicant then you should have no problem. Resort reps tend to be people who have a season or two under their belt, and maybe even some language skills as they have to deal with the local businesses, restaurants, medical centres etc. If you look at the tour ops with chalet hotels there is also bar work. As well as the bigger operators, try looking at the more medium sized operators such as Ski Olympic, Ski Amis.

Money? Depends how much beer you drink. Wages are small but as it's really all pocket money (food, accommodation and skis and lift passes should be included), you may be surprised how far it goes, especially with the odd tip thrown in. When I did my (mature!) season I stuck a couple of grand in the bank but didn't really touch it. Mind you, I was so knackered each night, I was not out on the sauce more than about once a week anyway!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd agree with the bit about only being able to do 2 of the three. My son is a chalet host this winter, and he said they either go skiing between the 2 shifts, or they go out after dinner is done, but if you do both you are going to rapidly burn yourself out. He's gone out there mostly to ski. He and his girlfriend made lots of applications, but didn't really hear back till after the summer. With no experience and being 18 they got a lot of rejections. In the end they did a cookery course run by Hotelplan, which guaranteed them some sort of work at the end of it provided they weren't completely useless. Which they weren't..... Apparently he is managing to save money, but he doesn't drink much (or, he didn't when he left England!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im going out for my first ski season in march but I done a summer already, i'm going with ski esprit.
I been skiing before but i think i'm going to buy all my ski stuff out there.
You'll need a good coat though before you go..I think i'll take my ski coat if it still fits.
And waterproof shoes b4 you go too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Joe

I've skied a lot in Tignes but nearly always stayed in Val. However my main bit of advice is as an employer of young graduates.

Think about it from the employer's point of view. For them, this is not about how much fun you can have or how much you want to ski or drink, it's about what you can offer them. You need to show them that you are willing and ready to learn. There are loads of people who can show existing skills, so if you do not have these skills you really need to show them that you want to be able to offer them something.

I would also suggest learning at least some French - you may have hated it/not been good at it at school but showing a bit of effort here will look good, and what's more be incredibly useful to you in resort. Start a course - online or in DVD/book format. Get some French films on DVD and watch them with subtitles. Get the cop series "Engrenages" (known as "Spiral" on BBC4) and watch that (many useful swearwords involved!) - or the spooky "Les Revenants" TV series (based on the film of the same name) which was actually filmed partly in Tignes (my ski instructor was an extra!). Put in your application that you are studying French and then stick with it.

As an employer I do not want to see application letters which start, in essence, with the words: "I am applying for this job because it would be so great for me". Yes, tell them you're longing to spend a season in a ski resort but first, tell them what you can offer them and make it good! As above, any useful customer-faced experience that you have (shops, bars etc) would also be good.

A saisonnaire is the public face of a company and they have to have confidence that you will not let them down. My impression from having stayed in chalets that it is very hard work, which can be extremely fulfilling as well as providing the ski/social experience. But you will learn that customer service is about the customer above all!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also consider Alpe d'Huez & Les Deux Alpes. Try to learn to drive if possible and you can learn a lot of lingo in 6 months. Same for cooking. If you fancy being in a chalet, most punters aren't expecting Cordon Bleu cooking. Maybe start by learning to bake.

My youngest started 3 seasons ago with only the driving and a bit of cooking and no language skills. She was a sort of general dogsbody, then the next year she was a ski host and now in her 3rd season she's an assistant hotel manager. She is however a hard worker and quick learner and that is pretty important from an employer's perspective.

There are quite a few threads on here of a similar nature so seek them out, especially regading the CV preparation and interview process as that is vital to acquiring the job you want.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy