Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chateaux D'Oex

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about booking an apartment holiday to Chateaux D'Oex in Feb. Hoping it's a small-ish, friendly place with a nice alpine atmosphere, and some decent intermediate ski-ing. Can anyone confirm or refute?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wopple, I would go along with your description. I have stayed in Rougemont, just along the road to Gstaad, where news of me turning up in a small British reg. car, went round the village in no time at all! Very Happy The skiing is quite extensive if you choose to ski around the area, for example Rougemont links into Gstaad. snowHead ise, is a local, I feel sure he will be along later to give you some tips.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wopple wrote:
Thinking about booking an apartment holiday to Chateaux D'Oex in Feb. Hoping it's a small-ish, friendly place with a nice alpine atmosphere, and some decent intermediate ski-ing. Can anyone confirm or refute?

If you click on that you should get the larger version.

As snowbunny says, I live nearby. Château-d'Oex is a really nice place and should be a bit quieter in Feb than some places. But, it's very small, the cable car park is shared with the local Coop (supermarket) and there's only 30km of local skiing. There's actually better small stations nearby that many people haven't heard of, Moléson-sur-Gruyères, Charmey en Gruyère or La Berra - La Roche for example.

However, Château-d'Oex has a couple of advantages, it's on the MOB (Montreux-Oberland Bernois Railway) and the ski pass for the greater Gstaad region. That means you can ride the MOB to Rougemont, Gstaad, Schönreid, Saanemöser, Zweisimmen or St Stepan, I don't know how long it takes though, the tourist office will no doubt know more.

It's an interesting area, where Gruyère cheese is made, on the linguistic boundary of German/French. We're also having a great season start so far, some of the best "real" (non glacier skiing) skiing in the Alpes. A report from this weekend is here.

In summary, as along you prepared to ride the MOB to Gstaad it'll be fine, if you don't then you're stuck with 30km of skiing in a great village. If you take a car, and it's an easy drive, then you check out some of the places I mentioned that most Brit's never get to.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise wrote:
A report from this weekend is here.

Looks very nice ise. With the additional snow forecast for this weekend it should be even better Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied at Cd'O and it is initially surreal using a train as a Ski bus (There is also a local ski bus) but is actually a very efficient way of getting to the many ski areas, One memorable place for us was Rougemont where a good mogul field is accessed by a cable car that makes you feel you are climbing up the rock face. Madeye-Smiley and of course the balloonong is spectacular to watch. (apparently the valley has an effect on the wind and one can balloon around in a circle ending up where one started from!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin wrote:
I've skied at Cd'O and it is initially surreal using a train as a Ski bus (There is also a local ski bus) but is actually a very efficient way of getting to the many ski areas, One memorable place for us was Rougemont where a good mogul field is accessed by a cable car that makes you feel you are climbing up the rock face. Madeye-Smiley and of course the balloonong is spectacular to watch. (apparently the valley has an effect on the wind and one can balloon around in a circle ending up where one started from!)

Rougemont :

Some more photo's

We don't use the train but I'd imagine it would work well, you could ride to Schönreid, ski round to Zweisimenn or even St Stephan and ride back, trains buffs from all over the world travel to the area the MOB and it's on the "Swiss Railways" program on Sky Travel every other week.

They were flying remote control model balloons at the weekend actually, some sort of event along with the Christmas market.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh almost forgot, the chap that runs the cable car used to point out David Niven's chalet with great pride! and then re-count the story of David Niven and Roger Moore using his cable car!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wopple, I went at New Year to Les Mosses, which is just down the road a bit. It was soooo quiet there. There wasn't a great variance to the skiing admittedly, but it was just our group on the slopes and a few locals, couldn't believe it for what is such a busy period usually. So if you do want to escape the crowds ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, Brilliant load of info on the area, I hope wopple, finds it useful. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've stayed in Schönreid, before and I'd definately stay there in preference to Chateau D'Oex there's a hotel there near the railway station run by a former ski racer which was very nice but I cannot remember the name, generally a lot more atractive than Chateau D'Oex which when I passed through looked very run down for a Swiss village, but that was 10 years ago
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks all, looks like it should be a good choice. Am driving there so should be able to make it to the other ski areas quite easily. Just overcoming my final (unfair) prejudice against relatively-low altitude areas- ise, please tell me I have nothing to worry about!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wopple, if you're driving then you'll be fine, at worst you drive up to the glacier. You should think about trying some of the other local stations just for the experience. Remind me nearer the time and I'll tell where's skiing well Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wopple, have you been yet? Or is it soon?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, I may be around at Easter time. As a local you obviously know the area:- are any of the Gstaad areas (apart from the glacier) likely to be open, or have good snow mid-April? Is it easy to park in Rougemenot for example? Cheers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv wrote:
ise, I may be around at Easter time. As a local you obviously know the area:- are any of the Gstaad areas (apart from the glacier) likely to be open, or have good snow mid-April? Is it easy to park in Rougemenot for example? Cheers.

I've no idea what the weather's going to be like in two months I'm afraid Very Happy I think closing is scheduled for 30th April currently though. I'm fairly sure Château d'Oex will be closed by then and maybe Relleri as well.

It's easy to park at Rougemont as well, best parking is there, Relleri or Saanenmöser all of which are distinct areas.
latest report
Cheers, ise. I will probably only get one day in. I like blacks, itineraries, easy-moderate off-p: assuming the rest is all open (i.e. everything except Chd'O and Relleri) where's the best area to spend my (precious) one day?
latest report
the ice perv, Saanenmöser I'd say. It's where I always ski personally. No itineraires though I'm afraid Very Happy
snow conditions
ise, ah, was meant to be this week but had to postpone due to family illness. now looking at w/c April 1 when Easter school holidays start. My plan is to book late to see how the conditions are, would still like to try the area but I guess being fairly low its pretty variable at that time of year?
snow conditions
wopple, hard to say, it's been OK the last couple of years. So far the the season's been very good and noticeably better than some other stations in Bern Very Happy
snow report
Cheers ise, when it comes to Gstaad you are clearly the geezer! Final one: according to the Good Ski Guide Wasserngrat is the place for "serious skiers" but it looks a bit small and isolated on the piste map. Is it worth a visit? Can you park or do you have to bus it from elsewhere?
snow report
the ice perv, that's the "Which?" guide ? It's only got one lift and a couple of runs, Saanenmöser wins hands down for me. But, yes, you can park at the bottom.
ski holidays
ise, nah this one:

http://www.goodskiguide.com/Resorts/ResortSearch.asp

they are probably talking out of their bummole.

Are we allowed to type "bummole" on Snowheads? Very Happy
snow report
the ice perv, looks like they are Very Happy

For beginners, Saanemöser is better than Sannen really.

Wassengrat does get some bumps but so does Saanenmöser :

Really Saanenmöser is the most extensive and varied area, Saanen/Rougemont is great as well but not quite as good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy