Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Questions, tips, mounting options and suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, really keen to get a GoPro and can't wait to get one next season. Does anyone have any suggestions on wether to get the 3 black edition or the 3+ black? best mounts for skiing? how to edit? etc.. any help would be much appreciated.

Just a quick question. In a few heli-skiing videos, i have seen clips from the outside of the helicopter which look great! How do people capture footage from helicopters from the outside? how do they mount the go pro to the helicopter and do most companies let you?

Thanks Euan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was successfully staying away from GoPro bug for last few years, until last week, when I borrowed one from friend, and got infected Smile Based on this what I checked in last few days, question is Hero3 white or Hero3+ silver. Hero 3+ black edition is for me total overkill for home use, as it will be a while before 4k TVs will be standard equipment of our homes... everything else is pretty much on pair with 3+ silver. Best mounts? Personally I really don't like putting it on helmet. It's boring, and at least I don't want to see photos from top of head showing just surrounding. So my option would be on pole, on ski boot, on skis, or maybe even on chest, but definitely not on helmet, unless you use some really cool mounting devices. This one is one of my from yesterday where camera is on end of ski pole http://tinyurl.com/qzxyv3d
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helmet is definitely the most stable place to put a camera for filming POV shots of skiing. The chest mounts can be motion sickness inducing as well as making the skier look like the are stuck backseat the entire time although I used one pointing upwards which came out okay. Sticking the camera on the pole gives a pretty awesome view, particularly skiing powder in trees but also doesn't show much other than the skier.

The trick with editing is to know what it is you're trying to convey. If it's just conditions and skiing then keep it short, a minute or less. If you have something more interesting then you really need to be mixing up the shots and include some non-skiing footage in there. If you're setting shots to music try to fit the flow of the music to the shots and fit cuts to the tempo of the song. Again keep it short, no more than five minutes.

Here's an example of something I made to just throw up in my Iceland conditions thread, probably took about 30 minutes total to put together and is just helmet cam footage:
One Run @ Blafjoll - 02/08 from Charles Palmer
https://vimeo.com/86190832

And here's something I spent a lot more time on from a trip to Japan, took maybe five hours to put together, include footage from multiple cameras and different mounting places:
Yet Another Pretentious Travel-Ski Edit - Japan from Charles Palmer
https://vimeo.com/61605376
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the Chesty is a great mount. Very stable and hands-free. The helmet mounts are great and the good thing is they look where you look but than can also be a bad thing when it comes to making a smooth looking video as your heads might be all over the place.

A good pole is a must, something like the SP Remote Pole with Wifi Remote holder in the handle so you can start/stop the camera without needing to actually have it hands-on.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the mounts we recommended for Skiing >>> www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Skiing-Mounts
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyone is interested in getting in on the ground floor of a stabilized gopro mount have a look at
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496576492/stubilizer-gopro-compatible-active-camera-stabiliz
available in 1, 2 and 3 axis (potentially)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy