Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

IS IT REALLY THAT COLD????

Poster: A snowHead
We have just booked a cheapie week in Lake Louise for the 7th of Jan. Good local departures,hotel looks ok,etc ........BUT......my other half is worried about the temperatures in Canada at this time of year.Any snowhead experience???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It could be f***in' cold !

Banff in March was cold enough for me.

I remember having 4 items on my head at Sunshine Village on one occasion. A mask, a wooly hat, a neck warmer and a hood. One of their ski hosts had mentioned that my face was a funny colour when we went up the main lift.

Even then, I had to seek refuge in restaurants on occasion.

I heard tales of people who came earlier in the season and it was just too cold to ski.

Looking on the bright side, the snow was absolutely wonderful. Hopefully you will have a great time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
george owen, You can expect some pretty cold days last year temperatures were as low as -35 degrees, they do have some warming huts that they put out on some pistes to go and warm up in. I certainly would recommend face masks etc when its really cold. temperatures are already down to -20 and with a wind chill that makes it really cold. Its not like that every day it will be warmer in the sun and out of a wind. You'll have a great time just make sure your prepared and you will be able to ski in the cold without problem.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the words of encouragement lads, I've just had to stop the other half from reading over my shoulder!!!!
We usually ski Tignes in January and it was pretty cold this year.(first time i've ever needed liner gloves). We're both helmet wearers and if helmets excel at one thing, it's protection from the elements. Looks like we need to pick up a couple of face masks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix has just started to make my toes stick together. Long live the summer and mountain bikes. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a friend LL about 10 years ago, in Jan: she said they closed the resort on a couple of days because it got to -50 Shocked Presumably with wind chill, but even so...

Still, it prompts the question - do they leave it open at minus 49?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much much colder than anywhere in the alps - take balaclavas/face masks (no I'm serious - it was the first thing I bought in killington, closly followed by two extra fleeces) and prepare for layering! Sure you'll have a great tie though - once you are wrapped up warm it's fine! aj xx
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Past couple of years at LL and Sunshine there have been cold temps (-40ish). These are due to the air stream that runs across the area takng a dive south. This leads to some very cold air being drawn down from further north.

Seems to only last a day or two at worst. Think it was 2/3 years ago we where staying at the Chateu in LL and temps dropped to -42 all slopes were closed due to risk of frost bite. Next day temps were back to -25 and skiing was OK only time you got a bit cold was on the lift. Think slopes can be closed once temps hit -30 if wind chill is a problem.

Face masks are recommended. If it get really cold the air activated warming bags (little things you can put in your glove or the shaped ones you stick to your sock under your toes) are really good.

Even in the coldest there we only wear a roll neck base layer under our suits (plus undies of course). Thing is you'll probably spend more time skiing as lift queues are almost non existent and slopes are usually fairly quiet.

I'm of to Whistler this year so hoping for slightly warmer temps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was skiing at Gore in upstate New York once. With wind chill it was -70f (ie -102f below freezing!!).
There was not a cloud in the sky...if you were in the sun it was just bearable....but the moment you went into the shade the cold hit you like a sledgehammer.
There were lifties at the bottom and top of every lift checking your face....if there was one speck of flesh showing they did not let you past until you had covered it.
When the sun dipped behind the hill at about 2.30 putting all the runs in the shade the whole mountain cleared in about 10 minutes....just too cold for even the die-hards.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've experienced the effect of the shade as well. It certainly feels much colder in the shade in the dry air of Canada.

As has been said 'it isn't the heat but the humidity that will kill you' from Cool Runnings IIRC
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is starting to remind me of night ski-ing at Squaw, temp seems to drop about 30 degrees in half an hour!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You want to try climbing in low temps. Ok when you're heading upwards as the fear and exertion make you sweat. But then belaying your second for over an hour tied in to a ledge in a frozen waterfall... skiing was a luxury after that. Seriously though - the dry cold in Canada doesn't feel half as bad as UK style damp cold providing you have some decent insulation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
george owen I'll see your balaclava and raise you a neck muff (better than scarf!) - was in Tignes mid Dec last season. Cold doesn't start to describe it. Shocked wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
george owen, I've spent Xmas and New Year skiing in the Banff area on a couple of occassions. Yes it can be outrageously cold but if your prepared then no problem.

Your other half should know that in January if its warmer than -10 the bears wake up and eat you!!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the comments on humidity are truly accurate. I slid Lake Louise a few years back where temperatures where into the -30s but I did not feel as cold as I do sititng on a wet chair int he alps. I wore the same as I usually wear a wicking top and a good quality shell but I always run out and spend most of my time trying to dump excess heat rather than conserve it. i did wear a hat in LL which I never do in the Alps so maybe that made the difference and the snow was fantastic which always helps
ski holidays
I was in LL this time last year. It was typically -12 and quite pleasant. There was one day out of ten when it was really cold (-25) and you did notice it while sitting on the lifts, especially when you took a glove of to adjust something. Very difficult to get your hand warm again!!

I would recomment the wee hand warmer thingeys. They last about 8 hours. Lowest temperature was -35 at night, but that didn't mater as i was tucked up in the Chateau Very Happy
latest report
johnboy, if memory serves me right it was your honeymoon you probably needed to cool down wink
snow report
Ken Lingwood, wink
snow conditions
KEN LINGWOOD...Thanks for the Bear reference,thats cheered us up enormously!!!!!! Madeye-Smiley Obviously the big variable here is the weather.(stating the very obvious..sorry). Talking to a mate last night who was at Whistler in Feb a couple of seasons ago and it was raining at village level.We will pack every item of layering/cold weather gear we've got and keep our fingers crossed for reasonable temperatures.
BTW...I've seen the little self heating pouches that you stick in your gloves (JOHNBOY) but i haven't seen shaped ones to stick under your feet.
snow report
george owen,

They sell hand and feet warmers in the Day Lodge at Lake Louise. They are only a few dollars and well worth it when it's below -20.
snow conditions
I've skiied down Saddleback at Lake Louise when it's been -50 with wind chill, that was the coldest day I've ever done and we had to take frequent breaks. The hill was pretty much empty that day and of the few who did venture out I was the only one in my group who didn't get frostbite.
snow report
Your gonna freeze!

Went that same week a few years ago. If you dont own a helmet buy one, far warmer than any hat you can imagine.

The downhill run can be fun as well if its got ice marbles on it, just ride it out and pray you dont fall
ski holidays
This thread is very funny! esp the Bears! lol we're dong Banff & Louise in Feb/Mar & I recently took my teen to Snow & Rock to kit him out with some thermal long johns & long sleeve vest to wear under his gear.....

......... his response "I'm NOT wearing those, they're well ghay" hmmmnnnn.... part of me wants to 'forget' to pack it... but I'm inclined to have a little fun here.... Very Happy
ski holidays
I was in Jasper from the 15th - 22nd Jan this year (couple of hours north of Lake Louise) Temps weren't too bad but we did speak to a few locals who said the week before it had been -43 for 4 days!!!! You could get lucky and have a week of -10 or you could get unlucky and freeze 'everything' off in -50 temps. Have fun either way Very Happy.
snow report
I was in LL about 8 years ago and it dipped to around -30. Skiing was Ok with frequent breaks and loads of layers including facemasks and all the gear. What was strange was going in to some of the shops there and stripping off all the layers.

They had areas by the door to hang hats, coats, fleeces, jumpers, scarves, masks, gloves etc. with 6 of us in the family it took about half an hour just to get into the shop. (of course you could keep all the gear on, but after 5 minutes you’d melt.)

The other thing I noticed was the fact that the locals never turned off their engines when they parked at the stores. They just left them running and went inside. I suppose this was all about keeping warm too.
snow report
We actually stopped in Lake Louise on the transfer to Jasper so we could stretch our legs. A mate of mine was just about to get off the coach and he tapped me on the shoulder and said "Do you think I'll need a coat?" It was 6pm in the evening and about -25 (yes it was his first time in the mountains), I really wanted to say No and see him freeze like a statue on the way to the shop. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
LL is expecting a high of -17 today
ski holidays
Pah, -17 it's not even worth putting a hat on wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy