Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colfosco to Courchevel?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't fancy driving all day on my own. Can anyone recommend any trains, buses or flights for at least part of the journey please ? Probably easier via Gatwick!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skigirl21, it's a long way but perfectly do-able in a day, I recently did a similar drive. Otherwise it might be worth exploring train from Venice to geneva, with bus transfer both ends. Probably marginally cheaper than Gatwick. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there is a train from Milan to Chambery. So my suggested route would be get the bus from Colfosco to Brixen then the train to Milan then Chambery and Moutiers. It will probably take you most of the day. Look at Italiarail and SNCF to work out the times.

It is a remarkably long drive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It is a remarkably long drive

not really. 701kms. Depends what you compare it to - quite a bit shorter than driving from Calais to Courchevel. Mostly motorway. No great sweat, especially when the mountain passes in the Dolomites are open, which they most weren't, when I had to do it, which made the drive a fair bit longer. Depends what the alternative is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I did it I went over the PsB pass then down the Aosta valley. It was the bumper to bumper 130 kph traffic that demanded 100% concentration all the way that made it feel a very long way. IIRC it took almost 12 hours to get from Les Arcs to Misurina one summer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

PSB

means petit st Bernard. I am not sure why it changed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

means petit st Bernard. I am not sure why it changed

Snowheads being self-absorbed. wink

That was summer, presumably? At this time of year you'd take the Fréjus tunnel. The only bumper to bumper I encountered was crawling up the road north to Brunico, the only way out at that point. Once on the motorway, I had no problem with speeding or excess traffic. Indeed, having driven between Genoa and the Alps several times in the last few years I've been pleasantly surprised at the driving - several times, doing 120 - 130 myself, I've been sufficiently surprised to have nothing pass me to check that I'd not missed a speed limit sign.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
there is a train from Milan to Chambery. So my suggested route would be get the bus from Colfosco to Brixen then the train to Milan then Chambery and Moutiers. It will probably take you most of the day. Look at Italiarail and SNCF to work out the times.

It is a remarkably long drive.

I find DB much easier for researching train times, even outside Germany. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very many thanks both of you, that gives me something to work on
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon, thanks for that - useful tip. It is indeed easier. But train Milan - Chambery seems to involve change in Geneva, so Geneva would be easier, probably. Modane is a possibility - I'm researching options for getting my son and family up from Genova for a while in May, without my having to drive down and pick them up, which I did when they came for a visit in October. It's a long day to drive down there, pack them in and drive back!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recall dropping my wife off at Chambery station so she could get to Milan. Though it was the express from Paris to Milan it crawled through Modane and through the Frejus tunnel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skigirl21, have a look at the Cortina Express from Colfosco to Venice Marco Polo and then with Easyjet to Geneva
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd wrote:
skigirl21, have a look at the Cortina Express from Colfosco to Venice Marco Polo and then with Easyjet to Geneva

Is this a direct flight to Geneva? I'm stalking this thread as I may be transferring from Arabba to somewhere in France next year. The next best option I found was Venice to Lyon flights which would still need a Train and bus to most resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven, you never know, I might be able to give you a lift again. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Raven, you never know, I might be able to give you a lift again. wink

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the offer Very Happy let's just see if work lets me go first.
latest report
I am grateful to you all, the more the merrier! i found a great site http://www.rome2rio.com/ which shows buses & trains---trouble is altho total journey time is just doable in a day , i bet it isnt once you factor in the actual timetables. Easyjet Venice Geneva doesnt run on Saturdays & so far I havent found any other direct flights. I am glad to have learnt so much about this even though I think my conclusion is that I must either hire a car or change the dates! Thank you everyone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy