Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

any cross country track in UK since Tamworth track closed?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I was wondering if there is anywhere in the UK where there is any cross-country ski tracks?
I know there used to be one at the Snowdome in Tamworth, it used to run around the edge of the ice-rink, but this has now been closed.

I'd really like to try out XS skiing and see what my leg thinks of it. We haven't been on snow for 4 years now since I bust my knee, and I still have very damaged knee and leg muscles. The rest of the family really want to go skiing again and I'm wondering if this might be an option. But I'd like to try it out in the UK first before committing to a weeks' holiday attempting something I may not be able to do.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems to be most people go roller skiing when there isn't any snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I'm worried about falling, I think falling on roller skis would be significantly worse than falling on snow.....plus it's just done "free" on tarmac rather than on snow tracks isn't it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, I'm looking to have a go, seems there is classic and skate roller skiing in a few place scattered round the country
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blueberry, I agree that falling on roller skis on tarmac would be worse! However, falling on "proper" snowy cross country tracks can hurt, too, particularly if the snow is hard/icy - when it's more likely to happen. If your problems are such that you couldn't risk falling, cross country skiing is not for you. Snowshoeing would be good - they are extremely stable; you are much less likely to fall snow-shoeing than you are on an icy pavement in a ski resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bear in mind there's two kinds of XC skiing.. Classic, which uses the tracks, and skating which doesn't. So if you fancy giving the more modern skating style of XC a go, then you don't need a 'track' as such.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Though the advice I've been getting is that classic is probably better for UK snow, it is happier off prepared tracks than skating is which likes a nice firm snow base.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Classic, which uses the tracks, and skating which doesn't. So if you fancy giving the more modern skating style of XC a go, then you don't need a 'track' as such.

But you do need a nice wide flat surface to glide on! The skaters get very precious about anybody messing up their track (woe betide a stray dog or pedestrian wink). Most "out of tracks" XC touring will look much more like classic than skating, I reckon. And the advice is generally to learn classic first - skating is more technically, and athletically, demanding.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is probably quite a trek for you but http://hnoc.nordicski.org.uk/ in Huntly in Aberdeenshire have a track.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, you need a prepared piste for skating in order to get the edges to work.

With classic you can get away not using the tracks, which I have to do when I take the dogs with me and I use the walkers chemin.

I had my first skating session last Friday and took nigh on 12mins off my 10km Classic time though my av heart rate was 161 and I was hitting 170+ at times.

Sometimes I felt I was going really well with some sort of technique (have been watching youtube vids), but it all fell apart of any upward gradient/incline.

I'll probably buy the skating gear at the end of the French holidays.

Ironically I was back on my classic skis on Saturday and being honest I was skating with them (not on a track) and a slight descent, and caught the pole in between my skis and went head over heels smacking my head on the early morning hard pisted track (they piste it for the walkers), and I really thought I'd might end up with concussion.

And NO I'm not going to wear a helmet rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I was skating with them (not on a track) and a slight descent, and caught the pole in between my skis and went head over heels smacking my head on the early morning hard pisted track

Laughing hope you've recovered now. And no, it would be far too hot to wear a helmet!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
And the advice is generally to learn classic first - skating is more technically, and athletically, demanding.

For those that understand / appreciate heart rate logs etc - this was my track log from Friday
http://www.strava.com/activities/114901303
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
And no, it would be far too hot to wear a helmet!

Aaaaahhh but I wear a helmet when cycling in the heat of the summer, working just as hard ?

Opted not to x-country today but cycled up to the Col du Lautaret (first time this year) had quite a few ski tourers who had just finished shouting encouragement (I think) at me as I climbed up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Huntly (mentioned by OwenM, above) is where Andrew Musgrave took up the sport. It's also near Clashindarroch which has pisted tracks when there's sufficient snow. There are also, subject to conditions, tracks pisted in Glenmore forest on the road from Aviemore to Cairngorm Mountain - the Glenmore Cafe used to hire equipment, and probably still does.

I was told there was an XC track at Hillhead, but I've not heard of it for some time so, perhaps, it's gone now.

Lastly, what about http://www.thechristmasadventure.com/nordic-cross-country-ski-trail.asp
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are various roller-sking events in England. London Nordic - http://www.londonnordic.org.uk/ - is probably the best organised, but other clubs e.g. Wessex and Midland have active programs too - pretty sure some of the Yorkshire clubs are active too. blueberry,where are you based? I could get someone to point you at you nearest roller-club.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
feef, you need a prepared piste for skating in order to get the edges to work.

I was thinking more in reference to the comments about roller skiing Smile
snow conditions
Weathercam, yes, I suppose you could wear a cycling helmet, hadn't thought of that! and they are often seen with lycra!
ski holidays
thanks for all the replies, food for thought...
we are based in the midlands, near leicester

maybe a summer holiday to scotland and try out dry classic XC, and spend the rest of the week doing other things in scotland.
had a quick look at flights to see if we could do a weekend up there soon, but it was over £300pp!!!!

i agree there is still a risk falling on the ice outside the shops etc, but i think if i wear my knee brace all the time i'd probably cope. having the right shoes with good grips really helps. i've slipped (without injuring myself) on the ice a few times at home as my balance is so bad now. And we took the kids ice-skating yesterday for the first time, I managed to get around the rink all be it slowly and without falling, but after 2 laps by leg muscles were killing and i had to stop to rest every 2 laps....definately need to get back on with the physio....

So I'm sort of thinking if it's a slow speed fall I could cope, but I would be scared of going down any slopes fast in the XC tracks, so I'd have to go somewhere very flat!!

Classic in the tracks seems the way to start....
snow report
Not quite as picturesque as the Col du Lautaret but I did manage 22 miles on roller skis on the Alloa to Dumfirmline cycle track yesterday, I was quite slow though.

Another site worth looking at is this one. https://www.facebook.com/rollerskiing?ref=profile
snow conditions
Quote:

Classic in the tracks seems the way to start....

and maybe get some lessons. And do LOTS of physio. XC skiing is quite demanding, balance-wise (much more so than downhill skiing, where you can lean on your boots).
ski holidays
yep, definitely planning on lessons.
thanks for all your tips
ski holidays
blueberry, Have a look here: http://www.midlandski.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=nordic_coaching_program
latest report
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Huntly (mentioned by OwenM, above) is where Andrew Musgrave took up the sport. It's also near Clashindarroch which has pisted tracks when there's sufficient snow. There are also, subject to conditions, tracks pisted in Glenmore forest on the road from Aviemore to Cairngorm Mountain - the Glenmore Cafe used to hire equipment, and probably still does.
[/url]

We went to Huntly a few years ago for the day {Edit: I meant Clashindarroch ]. We didn't see many cut tracks, but a few places where there may have been tracks before the last snowfall. We also had a fun few hours in the Glenmore forest, waiting for the queue into the Cairngorm car park to die down.

I've even been around my local park in central Manchester a few times, much to the amusement of the local kids. It doesn't look like we'll get the snow for it this year though.

Old skis and boots are fairly cheap on ebay - just make sure you get compatable bindings if you buy. And I'd recommend skis with fishscales - waxing is a dark art.[/img]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-02-14 23:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
This is open near Harrogate, October - January each year.

http://www.thechristmasadventure.com/nordic-cross-country-ski-trail.asp
snow report
janeed wrote:

We went to Huntly a few years ago for the day. We didn't see many cut tracks,

Huntly has an all weather track, a bit like a dry slope for nordic skiing.
ski holidays
The Scandinavians (and one in Germany) have tunnels with tracks that are frozen all year round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_tunnel
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
The Scandinavians (and one in Germany) have tunnels with tracks that are frozen all year round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_tunnel

yes, this is what they used to have at Tamworth SnowDome, guess it was one of it's kind in the UK
ski holidays
blueberry, Now wonder if I can figure a way to first get my hands on and then refrigerated one of the loads of disused tunnels round here!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy