Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for last minute ski trip...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've had last minute agreement from the other half to go skiing for a 2nd time this year Very Happy There are just us 2 adults and it'd be for the week starting 22nd March. Thinking about a grand for flights / accommodation / ski passes (not too fussed by the food option if there is a carrefour or equivalent but half board / chalet board seems to be the cheaper option for 2 people?)

I'm a fairly nervous skier and have done 2 weeks - I love it and technically I feel like I'm beginning to 'get' it I just get nervous with speed and around other skiers. I'll ski blue runs (slowly!) but get nervous if people come a bit close. I'd like a fairly quiet resort with gentle / wide pistes that I can build up my confidence on. After every run I feel like kicking myself for continuously slowing myself down so this is what I really want to work on!

The other half skis fairly well and has done 5 weeks in total but pretty spread out. Seems happy to stick with me with the idea that one day I'll be good enough to join him but enjoys longer reds and blues when I'm not around to slow him down. Ideally he'd like to be in the 3 valleys area in france but is open to options.

Any ideas for where the best deals might be? Or resort ideas I might not know of? I've only ever been to Val Thorens... That seems to divide opinion as a resort but I like it!

Thanks! C
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd definitely wait till the Wed or Thurs or even the Fri before you leave to book it. As there are only two of you and it is not a peak week you should be able to slip into a catered chalet in a large ski area for a bargain price. You should have a fair bit of change out of a grand. Enjoy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about La Tania in 3V - I've seen some cheap deals on Latania.co.uk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you can see voyages auchan
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CharlotteJane, if other skiers around you make you nervous it might be best to head somewhere quieter than the 3 Valleys. But if you are going for a last minute bargain (and personally I don't think you'd see much change from a grand, given that that includes ski passes) you'll need to be flexible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CharlotteJane, have a look on Igluski. There's loads of great offers for that week at the moment. I've not been there, but from what I know, somewhere like Niederau might suit you very well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
CharlotteJane, (and personally I don't think you'd see much change from a grand, given that that includes ski passes) you'll need to be flexible.

Should be able to get catered chalet, flights and transfers for about £350, Lift pass £200 to £240, ski hire £70 and lunches £10 to £15 a day. Depends on expected beer consumption I suppose. I don't think that we ever pay a grand each.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the suggestions... I guess my default is 3 valleys as its the only place I've been!

I'd had a look at Igluski - they seem to have some great deals so I'll give them a ring this week. I keep seeming to find almost impossibly good deals on Inghams but when you actually try to book the hotels are unavailable... do Inghams / Crystal tend to discount much last minute or is it best to stick to slightly smaller tour operators?

I'm happy to spend a grand plus / minus a bit... so open to all ideas! As we've already been in Jan the worst that happens is we don't find anything available / for the price which just means I can afford to go again another time and spend a week at home Smile

Any thoughts on Valmorel seem to be some good deals for it but I haven't actually heard of it before...?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend somewhere smaller than the 3V, with both cheaper lift passes and far cheaper food on the mountains. Austria and Italy are both generally good value.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have done numerous last minute deals (hotel allocated on arrival type) and one crystal deal in the past (though that was pre-children). Though must admit that has normally been for either week before Christmas or first week or two of January (after new year) when we have got the best deals
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My idea for a last minute ski trip, having just finished sorting one out is: book well in advance next time instead...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I don't think that we ever pay a grand each.

Absolutely - I must admit I thought the OP meant a grand for the two of them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry! I did mean a grand between us... excluding ski hire / lunch / snacks / drinking... I think I just try and make it sound cheaper by justifying it that we buy lunch / snacks / drinks at home (London prices so not too different...) and save on tube tickets!

Quote:

Should be able to get catered chalet, flights and transfers for about £350, Lift pass £200 to £240

That's kinda the basis I was going on and then rounding down a bit...

NickyJ, where did you get hotel on arrival type deals from? I don't think I've seen any of them in my search and we wouldn't mind that.

Mr Pieholeo, eeek.... did it not go well? I thought with just 2 people and no particular demands (snow... bed... fairly cheap?) we'd be okay...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CharlotteJane, Smile

I just had a really silly set of constraints. One non skier, a baby, someone with literally no money, sole occupancy required, ....

Ended up doing OK with a DIY setup, but it took a lot of wrangling, and to be honest would have been more or less the same cost if I'd booked it a year ago.

I think if you can go with a TO, not care too much about destination, and don't have hangups about taking the last room in a chalet, then there are mega deals to be struck!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CharlotteJane, don't know if they still do them they used to call them "square deals". Saying that I noticed over the last few years a number of the catered chalets we ended up in now on Sk totals books, so might be worth trying them now? Though I haven't been with them directly they are both owned by hotel plan.
latest report
Mr Pieholeo, when are you going? In my book, "last minute deals" essentially means TO. Hope it works out well.
snow report
We're going 'soon'. I couldn't find anything at any TO that could match what we managed DIY either in terms of convenience, or cost.
snow conditions
Mr Pieholeo, ah well no babies and I almost count as a skier... ! I've previously been a bit nervous about the idea of chalets but I always hear good reviews from people so more than willing to give it a go - especially as with just 2 as self catering often works out pretty expensive for the accommodation /person.

Just need to find one of these mega deals now! Thanks Smile
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
CharlotteJane, Smile

I think if you can go with a TO, not care too much about destination, and don't have hangups about taking the last room in a chalet, then there are mega deals to be struck!

^ Exactly. If we had to book a specific resort a year in advance I don't think we'd ever be able to afford to go skiing.
snow report
CharlotteJane, s/c is only expensive if you do it through a TO and their "under occupancy" charges. You can definitely feed yourself for less than you need to pay for someone else to feed you, if you go DIY - small apartments and studios, outside holiday peak weeks, can be very cheap and there are some very good "inclusive" deals with lift passes and equipment hire, especially in smaller resorts.

Mr Pieholeo, yes, I didn't mean TOs were cheaper, just that that's where the big "last minute" price differences are; there's not much to be said for last minute booking of a DIY holiday, price-wise, though it often makes sense to book flights early (if you fly, I imagine you'll be driving....) and wait to book an apartment when you know how the snow is going.
snow conditions
Okay so this all sounds good... Thanks so much for all the comments Smile

pam w, the inclusive deal idea sounds interesting - where would I look for these?

So how late is late for these mega deals? Should I be ringing up this week or leave it until literally week before?

Thanks!
snow report
CharlotteJane, 22nd march isn't half term or Easter holls..... if you can cope with the stress of waiting and aren't too bothered about a specific resort and can be flexible about the airport (LGW almost always cheapest) then book on the Wed, Thurs or even Fri before you leave . Igluski, Crystal and Skiworld websites should sort you out. Look around and there are various sites which offer ace deals.
snow conditions
Quote:

the inclusive deal idea sounds interesting - where would I look for these?

you could google "ski tout compris" on google.fr - will give you loads of leads. If you want to keep the budget low you'll need to avoid places like Val Thorens. Indeed, you would do best to avoid everywhere you've ever heard of. wink
ski holidays
CharlotteJane wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions... I guess my default is 3 valleys as its the only place I've been!

I'd had a look at Igluski - they seem to have some great deals so I'll give them a ring this week. I keep seeming to find almost impossibly good deals on Inghams but when you actually try to book the hotels are unavailable... do Inghams / Crystal tend to discount much last minute or is it best to stick to slightly smaller tour operators?

I'm happy to spend a grand plus / minus a bit... so open to all ideas! As we've already been in Jan the worst that happens is we don't find anything available / for the price which just means I can afford to go again another time and spend a week at home Smile

Any thoughts on Valmorel seem to be some good deals for it but I haven't actually heard of it before...?

Charlotte valmorel is perfect for beginners. It is a very cruisy place with lots of wide blues. I am a nervous skier also and would definitley go back there. My criteria is always an area with cruisy blues. I would say valmorel, les saisies and courchevel would suit you
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy