Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So What's All This Half Term Fuss?

Poster: A snowHead
Just got home to beautiful Devon having spent half term week in the Grand Massif based at Morillon and I must say we had a fantastic week. What a great ski area!! Trip report to follow in the next few days but really I am wondering what all the negativity about Half Term Madness is all about. I can honestly say we weren't really bothered at all by it, very few queues, pistes busier than normal but not really problematic, drive down and back including Chunnel were problem free.

Anyone else with prior experience of HT find it quieter than previous years or did we did get lucky? (or did I just plan well?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never really seen it bad in the last 10 years.

Apart from the cost, I never knew what all the fuss was about
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad you had a great week. We went to the Grand Massif last April and had a fantastic time too. Looking forward to reading your trip report snowHead
How was your journey from Devon that Friday? Hope you weren't too badly affected by the gale?
We haven't yet skied at half term but hopefully others will be along to answer your query.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome back, looking forward to your report as I have booked morillon for Xmas this year Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Half term is insanely crowded" is just one of those things that people say who have never skied at half term - or who live in the Alps, only ski on Saturdays, and are horrified when they see another human being. You occasionally wait a bit at a toll booth, and it's a good idea to avoid the green runs at ski school time. Other than that: LIES.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got to agree - just back from Vallandry/Les Arcs and apart from there being quite a lot of British people about (including quite a lot of the pushy/loud ones we don't see much of in Yorkshire) you'd not have realised this was supposed to be the "horrendous" February half-term - we hardly queued at all for lifts, and I wouldn't have said the pistes were unpleasantly busy anywhere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking forward to your trip report jirac18, I'm fly out 3 weeks tomorrow to Samoens for 5 nights. Can't wait!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bizarrely, pistes are not too crowded here in the PDS, but traffic/parking is suddenly dreadful...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just got back from Chamonix. Didn't wait more than a few minutes for any queue bar the very top bin at a Grand Montet.
That included two bluebird powder days.

Perhaps Chamonix's approach to the recession of jacking prices almost 10% per annum is now having an effect.

The differential in price by going twenty minutes through Mont Blanc tunnel to Courmayeur is staggering.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This year the UK hols coincided with only one French area being on holiday vice 2 this week. Not the perfect storm of previous years. Lift queues in the EK were not a problem this week except for the usual bunfight on a morning at the Solaise - this is probably due to the huge increase in lift capacity that has been installed over the last 10 years. However, you would not want to have been in the 'rush hour' queues down the Taertaise valley yesterday - pictures on Le Dauphiine here (they will disappear behind a paywall soon):
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a very good few days in Valmeinier, the odd queue in some pinch points, but nothing more than 5 mins.

First half term away and the much reported half term scrum was something that worried me.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 23-02-14 8:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes we saw the camera crews on a couple of over bridges filming the miles and miles of standing traffic heading south yesterday. I reckon this new week will be much busier!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've had good snow conditions during half term for the past 3 years now, which means that it's easier to spread out on the mountain and escape the queues.

Given the choice, I'd still rather go in term time and pay half as much, never have to queue and not have to worry so much about on piste collisions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18, as chocksaway, points out you were "lucky" with a good analogy in that it was not the "perfect storm" of previous years.

I had probably my best day of the season last week - see thread "Half Term Madness" http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108559

However Mr Pieholeo, I was with a couple of transfer drivers in the Frog (here in Serre Chevalier) at half time watching the rugby and they confirmed it was a feckin nightmare on the roads yesterday.

Mind you must be all "lies" from the locals and the media wink

And take a look at this - all damn lies again

http://alpes.france3.fr/2014/02/15/bouchons-le-trafic-redevient-normal-sur-les-routes-des-stations-de-ski-en-isere-savoie-et-haute-savoie-416211.html

Also bumped into some people who had to land at Lyon instead of Chambery, but wait on the plane for the fog to clear before they flew on to Chambery, they were delayed though by only six hours, not too bad!

Walking back from the bar last night I never seen so many cars parked all around the place, reckon must be 3x the numbers compared to last week.

Going to be like that of the next two weeks, and should settle down by March 8th when I know a number of Snowheads are coming out here.

I for one will not be going up the hill to ski the piste unless it's first lifts after a good snowfall or it's snowing at lunch time - mind you that's what I do normally rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the weather kept a lot of fair weather skiers in doors on a couple of days but generally the lifts can cope if the resorts are full up and queues aren't too bad, certainly in the 3vs. The biggest problem with half term is the chasse-croise effect on the roads.
snow report
I was speaking with a couple from Luxemburg the other evening. I appears that a lot of the Northern European countries have a latter than usual half term this year. Starts this week. This is due to the carnival week being later than usual. We were lucky. Good old UK tour operators, ferry, airlines still managed to rip everyone off though....
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Also bumped into some people who had to land at Lyon instead of Chambery, but wait on the plane for the fog to clear before they flew on to Chambery, they were delayed though by only six hours, not too bad!

Is fog at Chambery caused by half term then? wink

Mind you - having been warned on here about horrendous transfers from Les Arcs area we were under 2 hours from Peisey to Chambery, so arrived about 4 hours before our planned departure time. It was hideous - I've never flown from Chambery, but was tempted by the short transfer (I know, we were warned...) - never, ever again. Jet2 run their Leeds flight in the afternoon to avoid problems with fog, but because of Chambery's "one in, one out" pattern they couldn't get a slot to land - so our incoming plane sat on the tarmac at Leeds for 2 hrs, then circled for 45 minutes before landing. Once they were in we set off promptly (just over 3hrs late) but then on return to Leeds, Jet2 (who do their own baggage handling) had sent nearly all the baggage handlers home so there were two blokes to unload two very busy planes - we waited almost an hour for our bags.

Back to Geneva next year...
ski holidays
As ever in France it is all about the weeks that 2/3 of the country are on holiday and the one (or sometimes two) of those that include Paris. This year it is this week. Last week was our half term but only 1/3 of France. The best indicator is the rental price list we get from our agent. This week and next week are the most expensive.

By the time we get there for our lads trip (8-15 March) it will still be French holidays and therefore too busy for Pam W but will do me just fine. A few queues at peak times at pinch points but generally OK. Parking might be busy as the locals are on holiday and might drive up for the day.

Next year however looks grim. The perfect storm of 2/3 of France, Brits, Belgians and Dutch all together. I'll be taking Pam W's advice for that week and pocketing a healthy apartment rental fee.
ski holidays
Quote:

(8-15 March) it will still be French holidays and therefore too busy for Pam W but will do me just fine.

that should be the quietest of the holiday weeks in the northern French alps.
snow report
Avoriaz last year was appalling - may be preferred destination for the French as lots of apartments. NEVER again!
ski holidays
Good snow conditions in all the smaller lower resorts takes the pressure off.

Only 1/3 of france was on hols last week.

Half term has been much better since the french spread their holidays over 4 weeks (ten years or so ago). If only the uk were so enlightened!
latest report
countryman, we were in PdS last year (stayed in Essert Romand) and apart from a few queues to get out of Avoriaz after lunch, it was pretty clear everywhere. Or are you talking about the town itself?
snow report
Just got back from an AWESOME half term week's skiing in Alpe D'Huez. Queues were longer than in the week before crimbo, but barely worth mentioning, the snow was loads better, and also had some beautiful sunshine. The drive down was no problem. The drive back was no problem. Both kids in ski school, classes split accordingly, and both did really well, making huge progress, thanks to AWESOME (and VERY handsome ESF instructors). Fail to see what's not to like really...... snowHead
snow report
We are just back from Sainte Foy. Was expecting madness, but there was none. Few queues first thing, but then empty pistes. All that worrying for nothing.

On the drive back yesterday, there was a lot of traffic going down, far more than the previous Sat.
snow report
K8T wrote:
On the drive back yesterday, there was a lot of traffic going down, far more than the previous Sat.

We thought exactly the same thing!
snow report
I wondered the same thing myself when I travelled down on Sat pm for Sun pm arrival. No traffic to speak of on the way down and only delayed by the struggle to chain up (a winter tyre clad M5) when we couldn't get the last 100 yards to the apartment.

No lift queues all week. Quiet pistes. Tables for lunch. Easy drive back with almost no traffic plus quickly through Calais (well, more quickly than last year).

The perfect storm next year DJL mentions might mean we give it a miss though.
snow conditions
This first time for us at half term, made first lifts everyday to get a couple if hours in before the mobs arrived, hot Choc stop at 11am before the huts filled up, then went for lunch after 2pm once the crowds had begun to disperse. It was really busy everywhere, queues for the main lifts, most huts rammed between 11.30 and 2pm, we drove to Zell am see using the tunnel, not bad on the way but traffic delayed us by 2 hours, coming home the drive was ok apart from the eurotunnel madness adding on 2 hours,we won't be going at half term again. I much prefer quiet slopes, no queues, and coffee and lunch stops when we fancy rather than being dictated by crowds. We had a great holiday but far too busy for our liking.
snow report
Just back from a week in Obergurgl. Weather and snow great with only 1 day of very bad vis and 1 other with not so good vis in the morning, but cleared up after lunch. Said "hello" to Touchguru who had an afternoon blast with my BiL. Hotel was great, kids had a super time and did just about every marked (and a few not marked) runs including all the blacks (I think they should have been Red really). No queues to speak off apart from once on the the bubble up on night skiing evening which was great fun, 2 top to bottom almost none stop runs with my 2 girls and BiL under the floodlights and watched the Ski show but left before the end to avoid the crowds on the run back home.

Private transfer from/to Innsbruck with white descents (Thanks Ted) was seamless and quick.

A bit manic swapping flights at Frankfurt on the way back. Full TR to follow when I get time to write it up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chamonix is busy. its not the increase in people per se that is the problem its the increase in people who have no idea what there doing thats the issue....
snow report
If last weekend was bad, take a look at the weather forecast for the back end of the week Confused

Strategy for this week is a couple of chill out days (just taken dogs for a long walk) and have fair amount of work to do, when the client finally sends the assets over !

Then hopefully first lifts Wed to take advantage of the overnight snow fall.

Thursday possibly same again.

Friday meant to be dumping so couple of hours lunch time in the trees.

Sat could be good, first lifts and being transfer day should be quite empty, plus many seasonasires will be working Twisted Evil

Quite amazed at the number of people not skiing, very much the Mums and Grand Parents looking after the todlers, and many people going for half day passes by the looks of things.

eddiethebus, +1

And might have to set a photo competition up to see who can get the best picture of someone carrying skis etc - seen some classics Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo and others, it rather depends on what you are comparing it to.
If you've only ever skied half term, then that's what you are used to.
If you have skied the week or two before, or skied January, then Half Term can be a Big Shock.
ski holidays
Jonpim, there's a few here skiing at half-term for the first time though and wondering where the crowds really are. The worst crowds and lift queues I have ever experienced were in Plagne Bellecote at the end of January, and Whistler/Blackcomb in April.
snow conditions
Is that picture of the above autoroute the main road out of the Tarentaise to Moutiers where it filters to one lane and is controlled by a traffic light - if so that is a crawl every Saturday late morning/lunchtime? But id imagine with the greater volume of vehicles would be a slightly bigger pain in the back bottom in half term
snow conditions
Yes, Hells Bells, the queues at Bellecote can be ghastly, such that the queues for all four lifts merge into one.
But don't remember any particular problem this January.

Another key factor is the weather.
The sun brings out the crowds, but cloudy weather makes for empty pistes.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Mr Pieholeo and others, it rather depends on what you are comparing it to.
If you've only ever skied half term, then that's what you are used to.
If you have skied the week or two before, or skied January, then Half Term can be a Big Shock.

I'm comparing it to ski trips I've taken at Christmas, New Year, all 4 weeks of January, February half term twice, mid March and absolute final week of season late April.

Half term wasn't a 'big shock' for me.

Yep, some road routes get snarled up, certain lifts produce pinch points, car parking can be a nuisance, but the standard snowHeads 'quel horreur!' response to any mention of half term is extremely overwrought. It's really not as bad as some make out.

As per Hells Bells the worst queue I have ever experienced was a January holiday to Alpe d'Huez, where we waited for about 30 minutes in a seemingly endless line of people somewhere. One of the chairlifts out of St Martin de Belleville has nearly killed me from boredom all 3 times I've been to the 3Vs in various Januaries. I can't remember any February experience as bad as any of those.
snow conditions
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Yep, some road routes get snarled up.....

Must be all lies from the damn media......

And the transfer drivers I know are talking bollox.....

Come to think of it, looking at your "sig" it's quite apt.

Think you're on a wind up Laughing
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Yep, some road routes get snarled up.....

Must be all lies from the damn media......

And the transfer drivers I know are talking bollox.....

Not sure I follow. Are you attributing those paraphrased statements to me? I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned the media, or transfer drivers, in any context.
snow report
If you want to try and be clever then I could answer back that........

Transfer drivers could be perceived as locals, and / or live in the alps etc etc

You basically say that it's all LIES - so hence my assumption that the media, too, must be lying

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-02-14 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

the worst queue I have ever experienced

was in Chamonix, to buy a lift pass. The second was the next-door queue, to get on the bloody lift. This was in Le Tour, in mid January. However, the worst queues I have experienced in Les Saisies have been at half term and New Year. Not terrible - 10 - 15 minutes, but to me that's unacceptable, so I don't do it. And the pistes are much busier than I am used to. Christmas is far better and late March/mid April (Easter hols) a positive pleasure in comparison. I am also accustomed to being able to park very near the front de neige and ski school meeting place and not hike from an overcrowded and bad-tempered (albeit free) distant car park. This last new Year I went XC skiing and I lend my apartment to family members with no choice, for half term. They had varied experiences with lifts and crowds - much better on the days with poor vis and heavy snow, not so good on the sunny days.

Some people have no choice but to ski at half term in which case they are wise to take very careful note of advice (e.g. as to which French ski areas will be worst at which point in the French school holiday cycle, or which Austrian resorts are likely to have the worst lift queues - sounds like Zell am See was awful last week, for example). But if they can ski at other times they are likely to have a better experience - depends what's important to them.

I found the Sella Ronda in early February a lot busier than I am used to - waiting for tables for lunch, even outside the main lunch time, some significant lift queues, very busy pistes. And I ALWAYS find places like the 3 Valleys and the Espace Killy busier than I like (not queues, necessarily, but busy whizzy pistes). The thing is, there is such a huge range of resorts available to us in Europe that by doing careful research and being clear about priorities, it's usually possible to find something to suit - just means being willing to think outside the usual suspects, sometimes.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
If you want to try and be clever then I could answer back that........

Transfer drivers could be perceived as locals, and / or live in the alps

You basically say that it's all LIES - so hence my assumption that the media, too, must be lying

Your apparent hostility interests me.

The majority of the posters in this thread are of the opinion that half term is not as bad as often is claimed, there are numerous anecdotes of short queues, empty pistes... I'm just one of them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy