Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens ski school

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys Smile.

My friends and I are skiing in Val Thorens next week and are considering taking some lessons for a few days while we are there. 3 of us are advanced/intermediate skiers, and 1 is more of a beginner/intermediate (never seen her ski, so I am not sure...). I researched a bit and it seems like there are several different ski schools operating in Val Thorens. Does anybody have a recommendation as to which one we should choose? While some of us do speak a bit of french, we would need the instructors to be able to communicate in English... This wasn't a problem in Austria last year, but I am not sure how these things work in France.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ESF.....always been good up to offpiste tours....speak as good english as any esl would if not better depends of course if you want an all english group to ski with or dont mind mixing with whoever turns up
prosneige and skicool are much smaller, IIRC skicool are boarder orientated...

VT is a dam good choice of resort tho....thats a good start!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alenchic, if you just want "a few days" it would need to be private lessons - so you can specify you want someone who speaks good English.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh Sad, I didn't realize that one must sign up for a whole week in France Sad. In Austria they had no such restrictions, so I didn't even consider this possibility... I am looking at the ESF website and indeed, the shortest option I see is 5 days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had two excellent years of using Prosneige for our 13 year old in the "teens" group - lots of off piste for him, airbag aerials on the last day, good instructor etc. But we've always done the full 6 mornings ski school for him (he enjoys it as he skis a bit faster with the group than he can with us).

I'm sure they do private lessons, and even though it is one of the french school holiday weeks I'm sure you would be able to sort out something with them for a few days of lessons - they won't be overrun with Brits that week in comparison to the half term weeks.

According to their website, they do afternoon "12 hour" sessions - not quite sure what that means, but I would expect that to be over a few days! Very Happy Very Happy

http://valthorens.prosneige.fr/english/ski-school/private-lessons.php

HTH!

Matt
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alenchic, many schools will allow you to drop in and out of the week of lessons so you do less than 5 days, if you talk to them on the phone/email instead of just using their online booking forms. Or do private lessons - especially for the 3 advanced that would work out reasonable priced.

We used prosneige and while not groundbreakingingly amazing, they were def better than average, and both instructors were great fun and good enough english (not native but perfectly comfortable teaching in english, despite the odd bizarre phrase) so I'd happily recommend them.

aj xx
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I justed emailed Prosneige and asked about the possibility of a) joining a group lessons for 3 days only b) hiking a private instructor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've posted before but Xavier at ESF in Orelle is excellent and speaks perfect English. He does on piste but also knows the off piste area like the back if his hand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Mitchell is the only British instructor in ESF Val T.
Check out his site:
http://www.davidmitchell-ski.co.uk/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j., did you have private lessons with prosneige or group lessons? And do you remember your instructor's names? We're off to VT in a few weeks and it would be useful to have an instructor for private lessons recommended.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
privates. les menuires though. Don't know if he does both villages but we had the Italian "Teo" who I would recommend, he was very quick to pickup my flaws Wink Can't remember other instructors names (not mine, others in my group used them), they were not quite as good anyway....

aj.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks a.j., I'll take a look on their website for Teo.

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry.. another question! How far in advance do you think I need to book private lessons? Could I get away with just a few days beforehand? We'd anticipated one of our group was a bit behind us and may need separate lessons but he's having lots of dry slope lessons at the moment so we're hopeful that he might be able to join the same lesson as us.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude Decagny. www.snowarea.net. based in the 3 valleys and teaches at the EoSB. Speaks excellent english.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are flexible on days, and don't mind afternoons, then ime booking privates at short notice is usually pretty possible. If you are booked by the friday before you arrive then I would be suprised if you couldn't get something outside of half term weeks. I don't risk it with beginners, but those who would just _like_ instructions rather than _need_ instruction it will usually pay off fine.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip, Hi, I am Claude Decagny, private ski instructor in the Three Valleys area. Many people from SnowHeads have been skiing with me the last 5 years. When are you going skiing to VT?
latest report
snowarea, is also very smiley and an epic mogul skier!
Highly recommended!
snow conditions
Thanks guys for the recommendation - snowarea, I've just sent you a pm Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy