Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
apologies for what may seem a daft question!

I'm an intermediate skier and have skied on and off for about 20 years or so. Just happy to go on the piste, not interested in off piste unless it is touring.
Now, I'm looking for a set of all mountains for next year and my mate who is the same standard as me invested in a pair of twin tips because he wanted to learn to ski backwards, for what reason I have no dea. He reckons it has made him a slightly better skier in a fairly short time now whether that is down to the skis, his technique, better skis etc I've no idea.

I can get a really good deal on some twin tips so was wondering a few things. Does being able to ski backwards help your skiing in any way? Does having twin tip all mountains make any difference at all to standard all mountains (good or bad) and thirdly, will I be just look like some muppet pretending to be a freestyle skier because I've been watching the Olympics? ;0)

Told you it was a daft question! Awaiting your answers....

Cheers, Den
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

will I be just look like some muppet pretending to be a freestyle skier because I've been watching the Olympics?

Yes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Den

Could your mate's improvement be down to the fact that the skis he bought have a rocker as well as a twin tip? Rockers make turning etc easier and so this could be the reason and may also be of benefit for you (rather than the twin tip itself being the reason)?

Cheers

Aled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyrew wrote:
Quote:

will I be just look like some muppet pretending to be a freestyle skier because I've been watching the Olympics?

Yes

Thought so ;0)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WelshCH wrote:
Hi Den

Could your mate's improvement be down to the fact that the skis he bought have a rocker as well as a twin tip? Rockers make turning etc easier and so this could be the reason and may also be of benefit for you (rather than the twin tip itself being the reason)?

Cheers

Aled

Hi Aled,
cheers for the reply. Just texted him and yes they have a rocker.
Having only ever used "normal" skis, does it give you an advantage having skis with a rocker?
He apparently has an all terrain rocker on his skis and along with twin tips, that was his criteria for buying new skis.
Had no idea how complicated new skis could be, you learn something new every day!
Den
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Sometimes - for instance offpiste if you have to shuffle backwards and billygoat around a bit to get into position to start your line, or if you find a 'stuck' scared newbie somewhere where they shouldn't be and need to ski backwards in front of them to help them down the slope.

2. Will make them ski a bit shorter than a ski with a flat tail of the same length, and can throw up a rooster tail behind you. Otherwise no.

3. No.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But skiing backwards is great fun, and as said, off piste in forests I often find myself skiing backwards for a few metres when picking a line down tight terrain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought twin tips were mainly for the park?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If a rocker makes turning easier shouldn't we all buy some.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avalanche Poodle, you pick a line? Pussy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, Does falling down something count as a line? Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
I thought twin tips were mainly for the park?

Mainly for landing switch in softer snow, no? You don't need much of a 'tip' to land switch on a hard packed surface, and you certainly don't need em for all the bajillion other things you might do in the park...

Layne wrote:
If a rocker makes turning easier shouldn't we all buy some.

Welcome to the last few years of ski industry marketing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do like the word bajillion Very Happy

Reading up seems camber (old style) is rocker, reverse rocker if you will. But now there are many different types rocker and even flats. So I think we ARE all riding rockers already. I suspect most of us just don't know which one and why Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Worth reading edge & wax write up on rockers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy