Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lesser known French resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have some recommendations on lesser kown French resorts?
Ive done most of the main regions and some smaller ones - Valmorel, Valmeinier/Valloire, Les Sybelles - but am interested in finding some information (from people that have skied them) on real lesser known French resorts that are driveable but with good links, height, mileage. Ideas would be Les Saises, Les Contamines, Val Cenis, but obviously am open to ideas for a March trip this year or next year. There isnt a lot of really good info around on these that I can find.
Charm is a bonus, but not essential as Ive stayed in Le Corbier which is like an inner city sink estate with Gallic skiing charm and warmth thrown in.
If you could help comments would be warmly appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conrad Bool, When in March? After middle of the month is better, as the French school hols will be finished. I know Les Saisies very well and Les Contamines moderately well. You should be able to find a lot on both resorts if you do a search on snowheads (which can be easier via Google).

What do you want to know? The websites are reasonably informative and there is a French forum called lessaisies.org which has a section with infinite numbers of photos of the resort.

Les Saisies is reasonably charming - low-rise, low key. But still a ski resort (as is anywhere worth visiting in March, really). Lovely scenery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I cant find hardly anything on Les Saises but what I can find looks really nice - although slopes don't seem to go that high
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

slopes don't seem to go that high

no, they don't - 2000m. There's a small part of Les Contamines which goes higher - not significant, really. Both resorts have an excellent snow record.

Have you seen the Les Saisies website?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been impressed by Le Praz de Lys/Sommand (visible from Mont Chery, Les Gets) on the couple of occasions I've skied there, plenty of skiing for a week, huge "in-bounds" off-piste on a powder day, some nice motorway skiing and very quiet outside of school hols. Not that high though, but the PdL side (at least) holds the snow well into April.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And Megeve is so close.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And Megeve is so close

to what? It's not very close to Le Praz de Lys, though it is very close to Praz sur Arly, part (like Les Saisies) of the lift-linked Espace Diamant.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I cant find hardly anything on Les Saises

you need to spell it correctly - ask for Les Saisies, in title or thread, and you'll get around 900 hits. Try again. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always had a hankering to ski at Correncon/Villiard de Lans as I spent a lot of time there in the summer in my climbing/potholing days.
So convenient for Grenoble flights! It’s not a huge area and so I suppose I am leaving it for the years when I feel less adventurous. As it’s limestone right up onto the tops I would assume that there is no off-piste at all (lest one makes a rapid descent of an open pot)? Anyone know more about the area?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JanA, I think it's Villard de Lans. Have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1969656&highlight=villard++lans#1969656 - also useful for other lesser known areas, and if you want to know about off-piste, davidof is your man.

I don't think "scope for adventure" is necessarily proportionate to size of area. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JanA, Villard de Lans is low enough that there are trees nearly to the top, the lower pistes are cut through the forest. I didn't get the feeling there was much off piste.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a shufty at St Foy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can highly recommend les saisies. Pam what condition are the slopes at the minute in les saisies. Conrad there is no better person to get info about les saisies than Pam w as she lives most of winter there. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
JanA, Villard de Lans is low enough that there are trees nearly to the top, the lower pistes are cut through the forest. I didn't get the feeling there was much off piste.

the locals would kill me if I mentioned the Pourton.... damn damn I've done it now. Skullie Otherwise the locals prefer Corrençon: pas de la balme, de fer, des chaudières etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Station Monts Jura - its a 30 min drive from Geneva and has several separate areas (Crozet and Col de la Faucille are both nice, and have just about enough for a days skiing each - not sure if you meant somewhere for a week though...).
ski holidays
polo99, I'm not there, but my niece and family are. They've had a good week. snow cover is excellent (best of the season, so far) though, like everywhere, it's been a bit warm at times this week. They've been enjoying the new chair lift to and from Crest Voland - the drags were a bit tricky for the boarders, especially the lad.
snow conditions
Oh great, thanks Pam. still haven't booked anything apart from flights just keeping options open at the min, my two top choices are les saisies and valmorel but as they are not far from each other, conditions will probably be the same at both x
ski holidays
Thanks Pam, I've found some good stuff on the resort......looks lovely. I want somewhere inescapably Gallic. The search for the unknown resorts has interested me for ages ever since a French lock forward from Grenoble that played for my rugby club butted in a conversation amongst the ski heads of us at the bar and gave a shrug of his shoulders and said along the lines: "you Anglaises know nothing, we keep the best and prettiest places to ski to ourselves"
snow conditions
davidof, raise you ten, and see you (poker speak)

Chazelet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We have skied the Maurienne valley resorts and can recommend them. They have a pass (search for Eski-mo) that allows access to your 'home' resort plus three or four others for one day each which was a great way of adding more variety in the smaller resorts. Val Cenis is quite high up and has some open runs but the villages are just one street affairs so don't expect much other than skiing.

Aussios, Val Frejus and La Norma were places we managed to visit and enjoy using the Eski-mo pass. This keeps options open but you do need a car!

Val Cenis is reasonably high (2800m top) and had decent snow to the 1400m base (from memory, don't flame me if I get the heights wrong!) when we went in March a few years back.
snow report
Would it be alright to mention Le Grand Bornand.

OK, I won't then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy