Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm thinking at buying some skies for my 7y. Head Pez or similar. She is 120cm at the moment. Would it be right to assume if I go for 117cm she will she get 2 seasons out of them then pass them on to her little bro for another 2? (Season is 1 week in the alps and a few snowdome/ dry slope sessions...). Is 117 way too long for her at the moment? with a rocker ski? is 110 better?

The reason I am thinking of buying is that I'm believe the new 'rocker' ski will help her progress quicker.

I'm more of a boarder so I don't really know my ski stuff. Any opinions much appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A 7 year old will improve on any appropriate sized kids ' ski. The only reason I would buy now is to reduce the cost of ski hire, so a decent second hand pair from eBay or an ex rental pair would probably do the trick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy in June last seasons models n the sales , the 120 rocker will last for one poss two seasons depending on growth then sell the old ones on Snowheads in oct .

I have bought skis for my kids for the last 5/6 years , we started by buying the Atomic race skis now they are on the K2 jury's .

Always get adjustable bindings put on , easier to sell .

Top tip , Ski Barlett website in June , best place to buy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy in the after season sales or secondhand but not between Nov and Feb, then sell on Ebay between Nov and Feb and you'll get back most of what you paid in the first place so in effect free rental.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would you definitely recommend rocker skis for kids or are all kids skis (i.e. rental skis) made for super easy turning?

Love to by off season but out trip is in Mar.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
winni, Look on www.glisshop.co.uk and www.ekosport.co.uk They are both French retailers and do some real bargains on previous season kids skis. Got the granddaughters some Head Myas from Ekosport for €85 per pair for our recent trip. Decidedly girlie but they were easy to turn!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
winni, what kind of skier is she? If she's skiing parallel then she should be ok with the longer skis, but they will be a little long for her to start with. Generally, I'd suggest a beginner kid has chest height skis (arm pit high), an intermediate should have collarbone to chin high skis, and an advanced kid skier should have nose/eye height skis. Rockered skis can be longer since you're looking at the effective length of the ski, and they are easier to turn.

Kids rental skis aren't usually rockered (at least not in my experience) unless you're getting a demo or performance package, which is one reason kids usually have shorter skis than we'd recommend for the same size adult - rockered skis are easier to turn compared to the same length none rockered ski, but most kids won't notice much difference anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks I'll look at those sights.

As mentioned on another thread, she has only spent one week in the alps when she was 5. Maybe it was a mixed group because by day 4 the instructor was taking the group down a gentle red (which seamed a bit bonkers to me). Shes fairly active with lots of other sports like rollerblading. She is still wedging but it could be because no on has shown her otherwise. She has been on youtube watching how to parallel turn.

As we all know, taking kids to the alps is expensive stuff - and the scheme of things £50 rental vs spending a bit more on buying 2 season skies is a drop in the ocean. I just want her to get the most out of the week this year.

Ok - I think I will push the button and get her some.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
winni, with lots of grandchildren of various sizes, and an apartment in the Alps, I tried buying some skis but it was too much hassle - bindings, getting the right size boots, not knowing how much they'd grow, etc. Hiring kids stuff is cheap and easy.

Don't worry about the wedging and the parallel turning - that'll come, with the lessons. As with adult skis, kids can get hire skis to suit their level - easiest to turn for the beginners. The worst thing is having skis too long - they need longer skis as they get taller and stronger and as they get better at skiing - finding a pair of skis which will be ideal for the same child two years running is therefore difficult. She needs skis not much more than chest height at the moment - likely to be too short next year when she is taller, stronger and a better skier! By the time you have them serviced and cart them about there's little to choose in financial terms.

It's different for kids who are skiing on dry or indoor slopes regularly, obviously, but buying for a once-a-year skier makes no sense to me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have kids currently 8 (skiing since just before 4) and 6 (skiing since she was just before 3). We've been second hand ski's from various sources. They've generally been good for two seasons. Though until this season we were going twice a season. One pair has now been sold on again. As with the others when the youngest grows out of them. Same with boots. It is a cheap way of doing it but is obviously a bit of hassle. However, I also service them myself which saves a lot of money. For one week a year where you aren't going to self service I would say hiring makes more sense.

Can't answer the question about rocker ski's. Up to now I've not really worried about what they are skiing on within reason. But now starting to wonder if I need to actually think about it a bit more. Pondering buying the next set for my eldest new. I've read about rocker technology for adult ski's previously and frankly not got my head round it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh no - conflicting advice - all which make sense!!

Found these on the Glisshop site £58 + £8pp.

Is 100cm ok for a 120cm tall?

http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/klint/onsen_baby_lr_4_5-57944.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have never bothered to buy kit for our kids, we usually goes twice a year. They had decent clothing, sometimes new, some which was passed down, and recycled to others after us, but they grow so quickly and boots are an issue, added to that if you fly you pay an arm and a leg take skis on a plane. I'd just say hire it until they have stopped growing. Our daughter got her first skis & boots at age 16 although had been skiing since age 8 and our son's feet seem to have stopped growing now at 18 (went up 2 sizes last year) so he'll get his kit this year. We gave always hired good quality kit from ski set, I don't think they lost out. Several times they were given brand new out of the box kit (at Christmas, early in season).
My skis and bindings were £540. To hire it's about 70 per week. At 2 weeks a year that means I have to use them 4 years to break even and thats without anycarriage fees. I am beginning to think it may make sense to hire for myself!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would think 100cm is a bit short for a kid 120cm tall, my 10 year old has had her own skis since she was 6 as we are regular fridge skiers. They have been 5-15cm shorter than her, by the time they are 15cm shorter she is has been moaning they are getting too short! She is currently 135cm, her 115cms are well and truly in the grown out of pile and for sale, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2431860&highlight=trixie#2431860
The 117cm ones are just tolerated and will probably last through the summer for fridge skiing but she is really pleased that she has grown into some bigger ski boots that the bindings on her next set of skis (125cm elan race skis) and her sisters grown out of 130cm skis fit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Factors for me buying we're driving out so no transport costs, self servicing and going twice a year. If at least two of those didn't apply I think I would rent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne, another factor for you is being able to hand them down through the kids, presumably?
snow report
pam w, Given they hold their value pretty well if not trashed I'm not too worried about the hand down, now have one mini skier and one mini snowboarder so it doesn't happen anyway.
snow report
winni, For our granddaughters we got 117cm skis for the 9 year old who is 125cm tall, and 107cm skis for the 7 year old who is 115cm tall - this was for a first trip on snow (though they have had lots of dry slope lessons) and they were comfortable on them.
latest report
Quote:

Given they hold their value pretty well if not trashed I'm not too worried about the hand down

you're right - I sold the kids skis I had on ebay in December and was stunned how much people were willing to pay for them - and an old pair of boots. I'm just taking the path of least hassle, with renting. My ski locker is already full to absolutely overflowing with adults skis and a couple of snowboards.
ski holidays
Yep, with a bit of careful timing (bought new in March in the sales before an Easter trip sold almost 3 years later in Jan) I've made a small (about a fiver) profit on some pretty battered kids ski boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy