Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would this work?

Poster: A snowHead
20 odd years ago I was a BASI 3 (old quals) Alpine and Nordic instructor. I was a military instructor (JSDSI & JSNSI to those that understand) and an Army 'Gold' standard skier - back in the day that meant a high quality of technical aptitude. I'd guess it would be around the BASI 3/4 in todays standards. I also raced at a reasonable standard.

I also invested a lot of time into the psychological aspects of teaching.

Now I'm old - hehe - 44.

However, I skied recently with an ex-Austrian International Race coach and he said I'd breeze the Anwater & Landes I (and the II, but I'd start to have to work damn hard) courses - technically not an issue and my experience would be an advantage.

My question - after doing the initial BASI 1 course, because I'm a Brit and proud of that fact, could I work at my local 'Fridge' Ski Dubai and still get the hours in, and have them recognised, or should I just go for the Anwater and relocate to Austria, and simply jump on it.

Btw - This post was completely inspired by touchguru's thread. I've/we have worked my nuts off and it's time for me/her. We wan't to semi-retire in 5-7 years time. I'll ski instruct, she'll have an awesome jewellry shop (all designed by her and made and imported from India).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AsterixTG, this is off the top of my head, may be out of date and stands to be corrected, but...

Why do you think you need to start again with your qualifications? AFAIK your BASI qualification has never expired, only your licence to teach has. If you rejoin BASI, pass a 1 day refresher (easy), get a CRB, do the Child protection module (online) and get a First Aid certificate, you get a new licence. Old L3 is current L2. You'll probably need to ring BASI to get an online login but from there it's all straightforward.

The licence is valid in Austria (though not accepted everywhere) and can be converted to Anwarter (which may be more useful) if you want. There's a detailed thread here of how to convert http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2293318&highlight=anwarter+basi#2293318

All much cheaper than starting from scratch although I believe some Austrian ski schools will sponsor you through the Anwarter if you agree to work the season with them. I seem to recall from other threads that people have said it's not worth doing Landes as the rates of pay aren't sufficiently better to justify the cost.

If you rejoin BASI you should be able to refresh your Nordic licence also which would give you an extra selling point when looking for work, even if you've converted your Alpine L2 to Anwarter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AsterixTG, I have absolutely no idea, but just want to wish you luck in your venture! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
do what raceplate says... and then have a go at some ISIA L3 modules to see where you are at...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys.

Raceplate, I simply assumed they'd be out of date - thanks for the post.

I shall check it out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AsterixTG, good luck, great plan...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AsterixTG,

I say just go for the Anwärter and relocate. There is a little truth behind the conversion of licence (if still valid - i'm not sure how they look at the old BASI quals now) but as Raceplate mentioned there are fewer and fewer Austrian ski schools accepting BASI instructors, or certainly they will pick an Anwärter / Landes qualified instructor ahead of them everytime if the option is there.

drop me an email at info@SIAaustria.com if you'd like some details on Austrian courses with jobs attached to them afterwards.

Gary
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AsterixTG, sounds great! Raceplate's advice sounds sensible. Best of luck with whichever system you choose to move forward with! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sounds like a good plan - and you are starting at a much higher level of basic qualification than many who embark on this sort of path. I'm sure people will be interested to hear how you get on. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Relocate!! And get on to SIA Austria about doing the Anwarter- give yourself a nice easy life, sounds like you've earned it!! Best of luck and let us know how it goes Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I pretty much agree with everything Raceplate said!

Most will accept an english qualification, can always suggest they watch you ski if you are confident you are good enough. Anwärter is fine but as of 2 years ago less well paid. and the Landes really isnt worth the money (approx. €5,000 if you neet a hotel and food with an increase in pay of €100 a month) though it should get you out of babysitting and beginner duties
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a quick FYI regarding the Landes, SIA offer a Landes 1 course including exams, accommodation, lift pass etc for €2.600, less if its combined with an Anwärter course and dulcamara is right, it gets you better clients, a bit more money and puts you higher in the pecking order at the ski schools meaning you are busier for longer throughout the season - totally worth it in my book!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SIA Austria, do you not need the landes 2 in order to actually be a Landeskilehrer?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, yes you do, however the ski schools will pay you and favour you as you progress through the system stage by stage. (I see your point if indeed you were meaning that you meant €5.000 for the full Landes 1 and 2 - my apologies for the confusion, indeed you would be accurate)

However, compare that with the costs involved in reaching ISIA level in other systems such as BASI and then you can see a substantial saving in training costs and travel costs getting through the modules.

I am obviously bias, but with good evidence and experience in both systems so I'm allowed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AsterixTG wrote:
my local 'Fridge' Ski Dubai

Good luck from a fellow resident of Dubai !
latest report
Thanks again for the comments guys.

I'd love to up sticks and just crack on in Austria immediately but unfortunately I still have to grind a few years of the rat race until we can make that jump. My German is basic/passable and I'd also spend the time getting that vastly improved. I'll make sure I keep building on technique and adding contacts within the Austrian Industry - SIA Austria, Thanks for the info and I shall be in touch for further information to assist in my planning if that's not too much trouble - I had previously looked at your site.

I shall also contact BASI and find out that side of things as well.

WeiB.beer, Howdy neighbour! Smile
ski holidays
AsterixTG, I know someone who re-registered with BASI after a similar gap without any problems.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy