Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring setup: Coomback vs Hardside vs Watea vs ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking into picking up a lightweight touring setup. I have a heavy duty alpine / short tour setup (Shiros + Dukes) so this is to go alongside. I'm currently living out in Chamonix so it'll be mainly touring about searching for snow or just for a day out. I'm an experienced skiier, 6"5 and ~90kg so looking at the 188 length.

I've been leaning towards the Coombacks but read they might be a bit soft, especially at my weight, and hence am possibly thinking Hardsides although ideally I'd like slightly wider. Otherwise potentially the Fischer Watea 96/106?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of the two or would recommend something instead. Only problem being I can get these delivered, mounted with Radical FTs for 680E (about £560) which is amazing considering the radical is worth 450+E.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use the coombacks with fritschi freeride pros on them. Great ski, and plenty wide enough for when it gets deep, I wouldn't want any thinner than the coomback as I like the width to help me out!
I've used them in the alps in varied conditions and toured plenty in Scotland where it can get very mixed! Can't rate them enough.
I don't find them too soft but you are a bigger guy than me!
188 will seem short for you but you will be looking at doing longer tours, your gear can get heavy quick! They'll be fine for you in my opinion.
Let me know how you get on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.downskis.com have a sale on atm, the CD 7 is a great ski and could work well for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some hardside 181 with f12 bindings. It's a great set up, and I'm the same weight as you. I also have a really light ski for touring, if I was doing any serious uphill on the Hardsides I would put tech bindings on them. They are a good go anywhere ski, and stiff so ski slightly long.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also run the coomback and fritschi freerides and love them, I weigh a couple of kilos more and don't find them too soft. The only thing I notice is they get a bit flappy at the front when schussing down a hard packed piste. Although this might be the case for most rockered skis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy