Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

T/O or DIY for w/c 5th April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm having a bit of a dilemma about booking our ski week for the end of the season. It's only for myself and the OH (good intermediates) but we normally go mid March when everything is cheap and available.

This year we can only go on the week of 5/6th April, which is school holidays and late season so there is a lot less around and it's all far more pricey.

My main query is whether to book now before flights get even more expensive or hold out for T/Os to drop package prices? Obviously if this doesn't happen or prices go up, we could be stuck.

My options for DIY are limited to transfers from Geneva as we are flying from Bristol and all the Innsbruck and Grenoble flights are already v expensive. I was thinking about La Thuile, which appears to be 2 hours transfer and fairly reasonably priced? I've already skied PDS and Chamonix a few times and fancy Italy. Can anyone recommend this for April? Or does anyone have any experience in booking late with a T/O during Easter holidays?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have you considered driving and doing DIY?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EdYarker, I can only speak for France, but it's very much low season so booking an apartment DIY should be very affordable. If you can get affordable flights from Bristol to Geneva, I'd book that now, and then you can relax a bit about accommodation - wait and see how the snow is panning out. Easy to rent a car and drive from Geneva to the Aosta Valley/Cervinia. Or Courmayeur, much closer. Or if snow not looking good there you could head to the Tarentaise. If snow is looking good all over you'd be spoiled for choice nearer to Geneva, of course.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EdYarker, that is still low season in Austria as well. Perhaps by going DIY you will avoid the hike in prices that the Tour Operators make when it is the UK school holidays. Most European schools will not get an Easter break before Holy Week which is right at the end of the month. I know n my neck of the woods the school holidays start on Saturday 12th April and finish 26th April (two weeks).

Many ski areas do free passes for children travelling with paying adults from the middle of March onwards to the end of the season. I'm not quite sure of the upper age limit, but friends with a 14 year old got a free pass for her last season and children under 6 definitely get a free pass all season (age is according to year of birth by the way not the actual date on the day of starting).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Austria don't just limit yourself to flights from Innsbruck. Depending on where you are looking at going, also consider flying to Salzburg, Zurich, Fredrichshafen or Munich then bus, train or hire car from there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't fancy driving the whole way but hiring a car from the airport could be an option. I will check prices. One of the reasons why I liked La Thuile was that there are good regular(ish) transfers to the Aosta Valley from Geneva, but I will see how they compare. I've been to Courm before and agree that it's an ideal resort for couples but I fancy exploring somewhere new (we can always go for a day on the La Thuile lift pass I believe).

Another option close to Geneva was La Clusaz but it looks fairly low for April and although it's close there don't appear to be decent transfer options, but I will check it out if I hire a car from Geneva.

Sitter, I have tried Salzburg and even Munich (from London airports) but the flights back in particular are all very expensive. I went to Saalbach early this season so am happy to wait until next year to return to Austria.

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Another option close to Geneva was La Clusaz but it looks fairly low for April

yes it is, a bit, but it depends on the weather at the time. Might be fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morzine? £400 catered chalet inc transfers http://www.jollygood.com/Morzine/W_PricesC.html

Tignes? £699 inc lift pass http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-hotel-les-melezes/availability We provide a set timed transfer service from Geneva airport at just £32.50 p/p each way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.igluski.com/courchevel-1850/chalet-hotel-les-anemones_p24341?holidayid=721330286 courchevel 1850 £549 -good location
http://www.igluski.com/chamonix/chalet-marie-paradis_p32457?holidayid=721329504 £599
http://www.igluski.com/cortina/chalet-hotel-parc-victoria_p1693?holidayid=721345696&oid=1022725933 Cortina £499
http://www.igluski.com/verbier/chalet-chaperon-rouge_p2065?holidayid=721321312 Verbier £599

The range with tour operators seems to be £500-£600 for cheapest but some of the options above look quite decent
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and, of course, it is FAR too early for last-minute discounts. For those, you need to hold your nerve, and be flexible. I'd book a flight and a car, then wait. But I prefer to travel independently anyway - it's not for everyone.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I booked Les Gets for that week. About €100pp for an apartment and €110 for a pass (Les Gets/Morzine). It's definitely low season in the PdS.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone. This has been really useful and has backed up my own thoughts: it's expensive with TOs from this country because the schools have broken up but off season in Europe, where they haven't. This all points to a DIY- something I rarely go for because TOs have always worked out such good value in the past.

Kitenski, dan100 and Michael Stocking, thanks for your suggestions. I normally get somewhere HB for around the £400 mark but I don't think that will be happening this year, due to the dates.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EdYarker wrote:

Another option close to Geneva was La Clusaz but it looks fairly low for April and although it's close there don't appear to be decent transfer options, but I will check it out if I hire a car from Geneva.

I did La Clusaz at Easter in 2009 and it was fine - obviously weather dependent. I went with these people http://www.skiweekender.com/ they pick you up from Geneva.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy