Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra (Pas, Soldeu) vs. Sauze D`Oulx in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Sauze D`Oulx and Andorra are the only places coming up for a trip departing on the 2nd of Jan 2006. Which would you recommend? The ski party is going to be more towards the beginner end of the spectrum.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi magriggs,

I skiied in Sauze D'Oulx the same week that you are planning to go this year, and the snow cover was pretty patchy that early in the season ~ it might be different this year, but probably worth checking snow reports before booking it. Also, I found it a pretty inconvenient resort compared to others I've been to (Tignes, La Tania) with a v long walk up a v steep hill from our hotel to the slopes. Great hotel and food, but a v long walk (advertised at about 10 mins, took us over 20 mins (and we were all fit-tish and quickish). Ended up hiring lockers and leaving all our ski gear at Sportinia (where the first long chair lift drops you off). So if you choose there, make sure you get accommodation that really is near the lifts.

Never been to Andorra, so can't comment on that.

Surprised you can only find Sauze and Andorra for early Jan trips ~ have you tried phoning Ski Solutions? I have used them quite a bit and think they are really helpful and can find lots of good deals for you. I have no vested interest, by the way! They might just be able to suggest other possibilities.

An excellent book to get the low down 'warts and all' on a resort is Where to Ski and Snowboard 2006 by Chris Gill, including how good for beginners, etc. Anyway, enough product placement! Hope that helps and you find a great trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiBod, thanks for the excellent info. I've been reading about "Heart Attack Hill", could be a bit on the awkward side. It sounds like last year was particularly bad for snow in Sauze. As you say, might be worth holding off until the last minute before booking.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
magriggs, "Heart Attack Hill" Laughing Laughing Laughing Excellent name for it! Not heard that one! We had less printable ones, although one of us ( not me!) reckoned it gave him a good pre-ski warm-up! There's always got to be one annoyingly cheerful one at 9am! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First post on here, but we've been to both, so I may as well give my thoughts...

We went to Sauze in January 4 years ago (I think) and there was virtually no snow except where they had cannons. This was a great shame as, with snow, it looked like it would be a great resort. We managed to get over to Sestriere where the snow was better, but that involved the "one man scare lift" - so called as it was about 50 years old and almost dragged my girlfriend off a cliff as she didn't quite manage to jump onto it properly (no snow on top of the mountain) and the lift "attendant" was not paying attention Evil or Very Mad .

Took a group of beginners to Soldeu in March this year. The snow was good enough, the ski school went down well with the beginners and none of the slopes were too challenging for the "intermediates" amongst us. I wouldn't recommend it for expert skiers as I think they'd do the whole resort in a day or two. Andorran blacks seemed to be like French reds. On our last day we took a complete beginner down one of the reds and he managed to stay upright (and he's not what you'd call a natural Smile )

So, for beginners, I'd say try Soldeu. If everyone's done a week or two and the snow's there, go for Sauze.

Hope this helps? Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rooknee, that's great stuff. Guess we'll look at Andorra. I had thought that perhaps last year's low snowfall was a one-off but I guess not.

Oh, and Welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sauze can be great in good conditions but I agree you should be very careful booking this early in the season - grab as late a deal as you can get as the snow can be extremely unreliable. I have had some fantastic holidays there in good snow, with days over at Sansicario ranking amongst the best I have had anywhere. I would not say Sauze is the best beginners resort though, as the resort level runs are on the steep side for newbies, and some of the key links are prone to ice.

I went to Andorra in the early 90's (Soldeu) and had a really good week. I know it has improved with the link to Pas now open, and it has some decent ski-ing for beginners, but of the two I prefer Italy every time. Great food, good nightlife and in the Milky Way you get the feeling you are skiing a big resort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
enjoy the 3++++++ hour bus ride to the resot from the airport to Andorra (...........oh and back again Wink )

Sauze may not be able to be booked from the last weekend in jan due to the olympics.

Having been to both i'd definately go to Sauze (again, been 3 or 4 times now and going in jan again) . The snow is more assured in Andorra from my experience but every year/month/week/day is different and nothing will garentee good conditions apart from booking last minute! But Soldeu is pants IMHO, and you'll we were bored after a few days as the whole mountain turns in one massive run..............there's no charm in the place and village is full of pi$$ed people (nothing against having a good drink but keep it inside your own body and good tempered!!!) and it's expensive there, it's not this cheap resort everyone makes out it is!!! The lifts are better in Soldeau/Andorra so not so much waiting around as Sauze but you wont get the variation and expanse of piste!

The crappy 2 man lift from sauze has been replaced by a high speed quad this year so no more carrying gear up the first lift!

Quote:

Heart Attack Hill

............get a grip..............if you're feeling that bad from walking up the hill you may have to start asking yourself some serious questions!!! rolling eyes Puzzled Laughing NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magriggs, If you do pick Andorra, try to get Soldeu or El-tarter. They both have gondola access to the main ski areas and half the skiing is tree lined, something which you may appreciate in January if it is very cold and windy.
As far as the towns go, I preferred Sauze over soldeu. The town is a little bigger and friendlier. Yes there are some steep hills, but hey, you are on the side of a mountain in a ski resort, what do you expect wink

For the skiing, it's hard to judge. I went to Sauze last march and 2/3 of the resort was closed because of the lack of snow. Last time I went to Andorra, 2/3 of the resort was closed due to too much snow and we were confined to our hotel on one day! snowHead

If it was me going, I would pick whichever is the cheapest. Either way you'll love it snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like Pas De La Casa, its a good laugh! And cheap if you have boobs and your cousin is sleeping with the bar man, however pretty standard bar prices if you dont. Everything else is pretty cheap though, especially ski equipment. I would go so far as to say that Arinsal has more bars worth going to that Pas, but Pas does have a HUGE ski area compared to Arinsal, and has the Underground, which is my favouritge pub in the world.

In Pas the beginner area - afaik is over on the left hand side of the mountain, if you're looking up, so could mean a bit of a walk depending on where you are in resort. Hotels- Himalaia Pas , Apartments, Lake Placid would be best placed I reckon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan wrote:

The crappy 2 man lift from sauze has been replaced by a high speed quad this year so no more carrying gear up the first lift!

Shame. It was entertainment seeing people make a hash of it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magriggs, I have not skied Sauze.
However have been to Soldeu twice and would recommend it as a good resort for non-experts. The transfer time from Tolouse is much improved since the building of a tunnel but still fairly long.
They have invested heavily in snow cannon so snow cover is fairly reliable. Soldeu itself is delightful - still a village really strung out along a road - friendly natives and cheapish alcohol with a moderate amount of very accessible night-life.
I have no experience of the ski school but it is reputed to have a high number of native English speakers.
Would go back again but currently having to take skihols late so having to go high (Tignes this year).
Nadenoodlee, did you enjoy the Red Bull Rail Storm? Did you freeze? Skullie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magriggs, We've been to both and loved both but early season I'd definitely plump for Andorra it's that bit more snow sure than Sauze. As you say you're towards the beginner end of the spectrum the skiing there will be perfect for you and you can take advantage of the highly rated, excellent vaue ski school. For preference I'd go to Soldeu/El Tartar, personally I hated Arinsal but I know Nade likes it and I've never stayed in Pal so can't comment. Just to reassure you, our group has had exactly the same decision to make and guess what....we're off to Soldeu in January! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to Andorra for the last three years and going again on the 12th December (11 days whoo hoo). There is already a good covering in Pas and Soldeu 20/50cm and the Grandvalira area (Pas de la Casa, Soldeu and El Tarter) opened for business today. In the last three years the snow has been very good by mid January in Andorra. Last year we went to Pas on the 17/18th Jan and had about 4 foot fall in 36 hours! The powder was immense once the avalanches stopped.

I learnt to ski in El Tarter and it is an excellent resort for beginners as is Soldeu. Pas de la Casa is slightly annoying for beginners for two reasons: 1) There is a bit of a walk to the beginner area, but if your fit and keen then it really isn't that bad only about 300 metres from the ski school meeting place.
2) There aren't many blues to build your confidence in Pas itself. Last year we took a few beginners with us and they found there were two or three okay blues down to the resort serviced by the older, slower fixed chairlifts. All the brilliant high speed lifts access Reds at the top of the mountain which sort of cuts you off from the rest of the brilliant blues available in the rest of Grandvalira.

To solve both of these problems (and as part of a general expansion into France) they have built a new 6 seater highspeed chair this year, providing access to the beginner areas via a short green run and a new blue run back to the resort.

I checked on the website today and the new runs and lift aren't open today but I am hopeful they will be soon as we are taking a couple of beginners this time as well.

As for nightlife, if you stay in El Tarter it is very limited. Soldeu is a lot better. On a map El Tarter and Soldeu look really close together but don't be tempted to walk it as the road is seriously dangerous in parts with lots of blind bends and no pavement!

The nightlife in Pas can be brilliant. But my favourite bar is the underground, it is so good I very rarely go anywhere else! There are some nice cheap restaurants as well.

The transfer can be a bind, Toulouse airport is run by clowns. In my experience the best thing to do when travelling to Andorra is get as early a flight as possible to Toulouse (even if this means driving to a different airport in the UK to the one you would normally use). The reason I say this is in the last 3 years I have had on 3.5 hour transfer to Andorra, one 10 hour transfer and one 24 hour transfer.
Both the problem transfers came because we got flights that didn't land in France until 4pm. The airport mucked us around as did the tour operator and we didn't leave the airport till 6.30pm. As we drove to the mountains it was snowing heavily and we stuck halfway up the mountain.

All of the people who arrived on the earlier flights managed to get to the resort fine. I get the feeling the council snow plough people stop working at a certain time of night and don't start until the morning. Hope this is helpful.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been to Sauze 4 times at this stage and Pas in Andorra twice - there is no doubt that the best and particularly most varied skiing is in Sauze. If the links to the other Milky Way resorts are open you can ski to France (Montgenevre) and back which is one hell of a good day if the sun is shining. I have been very lucky with the snow (going late Feb/early March each year). 3 of the 4 years had perfect snow with all links open but last year it was a diaster - no links open and only 1/3-1/2 of Sauze lifts open - still had fun but not the same. Sauzes worst point therefore is unpedictable to say the least.

However the night life is pretty lively, the prices ok and the transfer is just over an hour as compare dto 330/4hrs for Andorra.

Pas is a bit like a sun holiday in the Algarve on snow but if you like mad apres, then its for you. It is super snowsure but sometimes suffers from highh winds/poor visibility - again in the main ive been lucky there in early January both times. Skiing is not very varied at all - but the new link with Soldeu gives a few more scenic options (need to be at least an experienced beginner to make it acrosst o Sodeu and back comfortably in a day.

Allin all id go Sauze and hope for snow!

Kev
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy