Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste names vs numbers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It is ok if the numbers make some sense - in Kronplatz they seemed to go from the top in order, so you could turn clockwise right at the top and count the runs. Otherwise just use names - much easier to remember when you are punting down a run and you've been given a named turning, trying to remember if it was 7 then 3 and 5 can turn into 7, 5, 3 in my head.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alex_heney wrote:
abc wrote:
Which resort(s) uses number for piste names?

Every Austrian resort I have been to.

You sometimes get a few named runs, but rarely.

alex_heneyReally? Every piste here in the Arlberg has both a name and a piste number, ditto every piste I have skied in Zell am See and Hintertux...

pam w, piste numbers are unique in St Anton, eg there is a black 2 (aka Kandahar) but not a red or blue 2, blue 4 (aka Steissbachtal or Happy Valley or Crappy Valley) but no black or red 4.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

piste numbers are unique in St Anton

OK, that makes sense, though maybe having both numbers and names, like Zell am See, is the best of all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many of the Morzine pistes only have a letter of the alphabet.

Much as I prefer names, in the 28 seasons I've skied, taught, and guided in the PdS I've hardly learnt any of them! Well there are a few hundred, and as no one you talk to knows the names either there's not much point learning them. The one which does stick in your mind is the main Avoriaz-Prodains home run "Le Crot de Chien" ie "The Dog Turd" Shocked wink .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piste numbers may be easier to instantly commit to memeory for route finding (i.e. "To get home we need to take 2 then 7 then 11" rather than " Marmottes then Creux then Crocus) but they are no where near as evocative.

The endless recomendations on here to ski "Jerusalem" in the 3vs wouldn't sound as good if it was just "red 11".
"Le Face" in Val d'Isere conjurs up images of steep, unbroken mountain face down the mountain in a way that "Black 6" never could.

So I say names are better, we just need good signs to help us get home the way we had planned.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, it does because they all end up at the same lift - possibly in this case Lift 6!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Names everytime, they just seem to stick in mind better, which already has sieve like tendencies.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know all the piste names even in my own area - which is only 185kms - and I've skied it for ages. It just doesn't matter - I know how to get everywhere and there are helpful signs telling you where to go. Knowing lift names is more important, I find, when it comes to essential links.

Samerberg Sue, so do some Austrian resorts have several piste 6s, unlike the Arlberg? Given the responses on this thread the Arlberg approach (unique numbers PLUS names) seems likely to be the best.

I do think some names are naff - Kamikaze, Harikiri, to name but two.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't really care whether a piste has a name or a number or both. Decent piste maps and good signage are what makes a ski area easy to navigate. The Austrian system generally has lifts and pistes with corresponding numbers. Some areas such as SkiWelt might have more than one piste with the same number, but they all end up at the same lift. Ski Amadé has more unique piste numbering, but the signposting is superb, it would be very hard to get lost.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

I do think some names are naff - Kamikaze, Harikiri, to name but two.

Thing is, some people like a name like that to make themselves sound dead good and that. There are caves with areas of similar names - devils pit, death valley, all seem to be largely designed to make it sound much more macho than it actually is. A run called "field of pretty little daisies" is probably going to be underestimated vs "cliff top death piste" might focus the mind a bit Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, no more naff than some of the pretentious ones I've seen elsewhere such as those in Flaine! Marmottes for example, done to death!

The names as such in St Anton are often given by both locals (they are usually given on piste maps as well) and other totally naff ones given by visitors who cannot remember or pronounce the real name - hence the numbering system. Happy Valley is such an example! The irony of that name is lost to all first time users in high season as it is not a happy place for the vast majority making their way home at the end of the day.

queen bodecia, me neither! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even the country stereotype of names vs numbers doesn't work. Les Gets and Morzine differ (piste letters seems the oddest of all to me tbh). Alta Badia varies between names, numbers and names+numbers within the same area (which are all fixed), but Arabba next door has names but the piste map numbering that changes as new lifts/pistes etc. get added.

Names makes sense when saying "Gran Risa" is my favourite run. Numbers make sense on piste maps, since there's often not much space to put some kind of label (just so long as lift + piste numbers are easily distinguished).

If I agree to meet up with someone, it's at a restaurant (which has a name), or a lift (which has a name). I don't tend to say "I'll meet you at the bottom of Marmottes" (unless Marmottes is a lift)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
The names of pistes are sometimes banal (all those ruddy Marmottes rolling eyes )

I quite like them tbh. They're comforting. A bit like all the streets named after De Gaulle; wouldn't be a French resort without at least one Marmottes reference on the piste map. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here in the UK we refer to 'pistes' as runs and all have names. Even in England all the possible runs in the pennine andlake ski areas have names no matter how infrequently skied.

Not having names was one of the very few downsides last week in the Alta Badia. They make up for it however by having three names for every settlement, mountain or alp. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I honestly have no idea what piste I'm skiing in a resort, name or number
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy