Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste names vs numbers

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious to know how everyone feels about piste names vs piste numbers?
For me i find the naming of pistes much more attractive than simply using numbers. I'd much rather be skiing a piste called 'Lucifer' (flaine) that some non descrip Red 12.

I feel names add something to a resort and numbers just seem bland.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep I agree, also I find it much harder to remember which run is which number, whereas a named run seems come come much easier. BTW Mephisto or Serpentine in Flaine for me Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which resort(s) uses number for piste names?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and even better with names you get to corrupt and tenuously Anglicise them
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would normally agree, but when in Italy the other week, it was easier to remember we had skied piste 7 than remember the name.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

even better with names you get to corrupt and tenuously Anglicise them

Yes, we have a piste called Gypaete, which our friends know as "Chapatti".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bovril in meribel springs to mind
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Deux Alpes changed all theirs a few years ago from names to a numbering scheme. Convention is Name of lift run is accessed by followed by a number (I think higher number means harder run) ie Bellecombes 1 - 5, Glacier 1 - 5, etc. Grande Couloir is now Bellecombes 5. 1 or 2 runs such as Valentin and Super Diable have escaped this ignominy. Bloody confusing really and many still use the old names.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B, it would confuse me too if they did it in Serre Chevalier ,but in this instance, I was trying to warn others that there had been an avalanche which nearly landed on the piste. In the shock of it all it was easy to remember it was piste no 7 instead of Lavadoi.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out of interest how would you anglicise the fiacaill ridge Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Fiacaill' means 'teeth' in Irish, would that work?! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And isn't Gypaete the name of Pinocchio's Dad?! Pfft, this is easy wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Humpfknick, it is Gaelic, but was thinking more of fe_k all
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come to think of it I think of fe_k all quite a lot...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dode, haha really? It's in Scotland then?! Totally makes sense for a mountain Happy
ski holidays
Humpfknick, aye, Cairngorm Very Happy
latest report
Well don't be encouraging them to Anglicise it so- there's enough of that already!! wink
snow report
Lol
ski holidays
Names every time for me. Not only can I remember them but I do not confuse them with the piste marker number.
snow conditions
I find names much easier to remember, too. Using the numbers to mark distance down the piste is a lot more useful than marking the entire piste with the same number, and then when it splits, continuing to mark both sides with the same number still. So in a white out no one has a clue where they're meeting everyone else rolling eyes Corvara, I'm looking at you.
ski holidays
I _prefer_ names, but now Hells Bells mentions it it is _easier_ to remember numbers, I just don't like them as much Smile
latest report
Surely every piste has/had a local name, unless the oligarth's build several lifts and many pistes between seasons. No one decides to call a run home red 7.?!?!?
snow report
dode, how about An Bealach Abhaile??! wink
snow report
If numbers are bad enough - how about Piste V, Piste N etc in Morzine?
ski holidays
Sounds very similar to the Bealach na Ba, or 'pass of the cattle' highest mountain pass in Scotland... Must be a road in Ireland too I guess??
ski holidays
Or mountain pass
snow report
dode, Yep - Bealach is a bit Ulster Scots, but if you want to check out Circuit of Ireland from the 80's Bealach na Ba was one of the stages. I always thought it was sheep Happy
ski holidays
Yeah an bealach abhaile translates as the home run, bealach na ba as you said, is the way of the cows. The word for a road is bothar, which incidentally also translates as the way of the cows (because the original roads were formed by cowpaths). Cairngorm sounds interesting!! Maybe I'll make it there sometime Wink PS cairngorm would translate as the blue hill- is it blue??! Lol Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, just now, I'm glad to report it is white Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
HahaThornyhill!! One cow is a bó, plural is ba. Confusing because its also what sheep say wink
snow conditions
abc wrote:

Every Austrian resort I have been to.

You sometimes get a few named runs, but rarely.
ski holidays
Humpfknick, if you want a bit of confusion, the Gaelic name for the Cairngorms National Park is Pàirc Nàiseanta a' Mhonaidh Ruaidh.
snow report
Yellow Pyranha, lol, really? Is it a rainbow mountain range??! Maybe blue in winter & red in Summer?! Lol Cool
snow report
Humpfknick, in French, a Gypaete is a big bird of prey - a rapace. But maybe Pinocchio's father as well. There's a two-dot accent in it which I don't know how to do, but makes it a three-syllable word "gee - pa - et". The names of pistes are sometimes banal (all those ruddy Marmottes rolling eyes ) but can be interesting. We have one called Cuberotte, after the Savoyard verb "to fall" (it's a narrow mogully black, an off piste run until recently, entertainingly under a chair).
latest report
here's one... ë

(AltGr+{ then e on my PC at home, or " then e on this machine which need two hits of '' or "" to get normal quotes)
ski holidays
I prefer names because I'm not very numeric. I find I can 'see names' in my mind, but numbers just look like a suduko puzzle, which I'm rubbish at too
ski holidays
Sadly, Bosses in Vallandry is sometimes bashed. Should they rename in Non Bosses on those days.
snow report
abc wrote:

Most if not all resorts in Austria. I find getting about the resort is easier with numbers ie getting back to St Anton one afternoon was red 14, Blue 12 then Blue 4. Easy! Try remembering the names back esp. when you hit a big cross section and there are other similar pistes names.
ski holidays
andy, thanks! Gainz, I can see the advantage of numbers if you have to remember a string of them - but only if the numbers are unique. Not "red 6" or "blue 6" That system seems to me to have absolutely no advantages.
ski holidays
I actually found the numbers in Austria much easier to remember than the names in France... Maybe that's just my autistic tendencies...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy