Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheffield ski village

Poster: A snowHead
For once something worth reading in the Daily Fail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561918/More-Eddie-seagull-eagle-Dry-ski-slope-used-train-British-winter-Olympians-strewn-rubbish-left-rot.html
A disgrace on the city of Sheffield it has come to this.
Though if anyone has a few million quid spare I do know of a disused quarry in a much nicer area just outside the Peak District which would make an even more awesome dry slope!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was at uni there from 2010 until June last year, had some great fun in the park before the first fire. Such a huge shame. Don't think you can say "a disgrace on the city of Sheffield" though, slightly unfair to blame the entire city for the fault of arsonists who burnt it down multiple times.
The owner can't get insurance on it anymore and it's a very difficult location to put massive high fences up all around it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the city council didn't help matters blocking plans to secure the future a little while back, I was meaning city in terms of the administration rather than all the population as a whole (all my Sheffield friends as as put out as I am by what happened) as for sure it only a very tiny minority that actively engaged in trashing the place!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh well in that case, I totally agree with you. I think the council should have done something too, they obviously don't care.

I do think one issue though is that the village isn't exactly easy to get to, and again, if the council cared they could have added a bus route to go up there. My time off from uni was definitely a lot more boring after it shut down. very sad for all involved.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, wasn't too bad to get to for me living near Matlock being by the motorway but as you say a bit of a pain from the city centre.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Luckily the ski society ran minibuses every Friday which also turned into a social, so was good for us! But if I wanted to go another time it wasn't ideal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And not exactly the nicest bit of Sheffield to have to make your own way through!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/features/10863702/Sheffield-Ski-Village-how-the-dry-slope-that-inspired-Team-GB-lies-in-disrepair.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
...at the heart of the future of the Ski Village is its leaseholder, property developer Kevin Pullan. A keen skier, Pullan says his company propped up the Village financially as the slope made a loss every day since he bought it in 2007.

“The fire didn't destroy the Ski Village, years of non-use did,” he says. He compares the Village's fate to the 2013 closure due to lack of funding of Don Valley athletic stadium in Sheffield where Olympic gold medallist Jessica Ennis trained. “Things move forward,” he says. “The real demise of the Sheffield Ski Village is because of the draw of the indoor snow centres. The tide is going out on dry slopes. The legacy of the slopes is well worth protecting but the future is disappearing.”

And theres the problem summed up. It's just too hard to make dry slopes profitable - they are undoubtedly better for learning big freestyle and have larger surfaces to run on but when you need volume to keep going, the snowdomes have more appeal to the casul user.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The part that interested me in the article was Pullen saying that he would support a group looking to keep snowsports happening there.....thsi certainly isn't how he is portrayed locally!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
News from the Ski Village in The Star - Looks like Mr Pullen wanted to flatten much of the site, but the council say "no".

Quote:
Councillors voted unanimously to reject plans to demolish the former Sheffield Ski Village site because of concerns over its future use... Planning board councillors voted to overturn a recommendation by planners to approve the application, which concerned the demolition of fire damaged buildings, ground levelling and filling over former buildings... Applicant Kevin Pullan said he would appeal the decision.

Full article here...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saw this today, another photo of the worlds most flammable ski slope...

That was taken on Monday (16th), no sign of a story in local news.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, I saw the smoke but hadn't realised it was the ski slope again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It seems that Plymouth ski slope has also been the subject of vandalism for several months, see this report.
I guess outside dry ski slopes don't make a huge profit, so having 24 hour security is probably out of the question. It would be a pity if other dry ski slopes go the same way as Sheffield's.... Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, It depends on how dry slopes are run and owned. Norfolk ski club in Norwich is member run and owned. It is one of the best in the country, with main dendix slope, snowflex fun park, moguls and intermedaiate slope. It is well run, friendly and has a great race team. It makes a large profit every year which is always ploughed back into improvements. Lots of new matting being laid in August on main slope. Best club house at any slope with cheap beer! It can be done.
ski holidays
At one point they had great plans to cover the entire artificial slope, making an enormous 'indoor' slope on the actual hill. It would have been awesome if they'd managed to do it, it could have really rejuvenated that whole area of the city. In it's day the artificial slope at Sheffield was tremendous, shame they never seem to quite push things to the maximum though. A bit like the Don Valley stadium which was built for the World Student Games and has now been demolished.
latest report
Here you go, better days. I drove from Cambridge to ride there and shoot this. But you have to be able to edge to use a half pipe... well out of fashion.
[/img]
ski holidays
Plugboy wrote:
Richard_Sideways, It depends on how dry slopes are run and owned. Norfolk ski club in Norwich is member run and owned. It is one of the best in the country, with main dendix slope, snowflex fun park, moguls and intermedaiate slope. It is well run, friendly and has a great race team. It makes a large profit every year which is always ploughed back into improvements. Lots of new matting being laid in August on main slope. Best club house at any slope with cheap beer! It can be done.

This

Problem is its a huge balancing act. We all hate CFe for all the gimmicks, parties/sledging/zorbing using the main slopes but thats what makes the money. Diversity is the way, but sadly I think for most art slopes they will eventually fall which is a great shame. Nothing can beat a cool winter evening looking at the stars while skiing and listening to oasis (ok so some may agree with the later point) or the summer race leagues sweating your back bottom off walking up and down rossendale in your boots - I miss those days, dry slopes have an atmosphere that domes will never have!
ski holidays
It would be good to have a range of facilities in great condition. The last time I went to Sheffield before the fire it was looking very tired, and the area around it was like a rubbish dump, it wouldn't have given newcomers or first-time skiers much reason to want to go back.
latest report
I was thinking it would be a good idea to make it into a snow dome as the main cost for the ones like xscape and such is the elevation whereas in sheffield the elevation comes naturally to get a decent slope. You can then use the geophysics of the land to create some sort of artificially induced permafrost to help with the cooling.
ski holidays
I went to Sheffield quite a lot - after it had forced the closure of Harrogate (many moons ago, but where I learned to snowplough)
I skied the shed at Castleford once - why would anyone go back?
ski holidays
http://www.tetongravity.com/video/ski/red-run-the-abandoned-ski-village
snow report
Damn, I was just coming here to post that...
RED RUN | The Abandoned Ski Village from SALT-STREET Productions
https://vimeo.com/128187513

A locally run initiative is attempting to re-establish the site and Sheffield as a centre of excellence for snow sports in the UK.
There is a petition running too... they're currently 200 names short of their 5000 goal... 199 now.
snow report
198 Very Happy
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, Wondered where my old TV ended up! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
170 Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy