Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icy hard pack marble snow stress!

Poster: A snowHead
I am in Livigno and conditions are icy, hard pack, marble snow although its dumping down. Must be a temperature thing. I'm an upper intermediate/sometimes advanced skier and loving it steep and deep BUT when I hit the aforementioned its embarrassing how badly I'm struggling.

I can't turn left with confidence, my hips/ankles are freezing and I've fallen over 6 times in two days after twice in 3 years!

Help. I'm considering binning my (twice) serviced skis and taking up carpet bowls.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Let your edges bite and trust them!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, hire some skis with decent edges
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any video; difficult to help without something to look at.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
take a lesson?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing ice is counter intuitive. It's not about pressing that big toe edge in, its better to keep everything soft, absorb the pressure, spread the load over both skis, and try not to dig the edges (which must be f sharp) in too hard. Also like driving on ice, keep things quiet, no sharp turns or sudden stops. Not everyone will agree with me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marble snow?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob, +1 Ice likes a light touch, no aggression.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, somewhat depends if you want to carve on it or not, IMO. If you do, weight mostly on outside ski and good angulation - but yes, v. smooth and be prepared to shift weight if you lose the edge.

Peter Leuzzi, can you find a good (!), English speaking instructor for an hour's private? rather than blaming and binning what's probably perfectly serviceable kit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When faced with proper ice (which is very rare where I ski, especially in February) I find that the approach advocated by jbob is best. I daresay that Olympic medal winners can carve on ice but for most of us "softly softly", flat skis over the ice and hope for something a bit softer coming up, seems best.

For hardpack, decent edges and the under a new name technique is what I'd aim for (and occasionally achieve!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think there is any one "best" technique or tactic for skiing hardpack snow. Sometimes there's grip to be found if you use a bit more pressure. If you're comfortable with speed you can get a lot of grip using big edge angles (and sharp skis). Other times there's not much grip to be found so you might need to be light and steer your turns with lots of rotation. Key thing is to "feel" what's going on underneath your skis and react accordingly.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 20-02-14 12:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
biddpyat, much like (I think, from what OP describes) what you find under snow cannons in milder snow making weather - or indeed when it's snowing but not too cold and you end up with a very smooth, very hard but not clear ice finish.

Pretty skiddy stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I realise I'm weird, but I really like smooth hardback/boilerplate whatever you want to call it. Not ice as such although there are often ice patches, just that smooth fast stuff that makes a scrapey noise as you ski. Marbles are what I call the smaller version of 'death cookies'. Most people don't like death cookies, some are rock hard and can behave a bit like rocks, but marbles aren't so bad, they are too small to cause such issues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, That's because you go to Tamworth! Couldn't understand why eveyone said it was horrible and icy (I learned to ski there) till day one of week 2 in the mountains, snowheads EoSB. I thought the piste down from the hotel was fabulous, just like fresh groomed Tam, by the time we'd skid down to the lift with the instructor of the not quite beginners class his job of splitting us up was easy. 4 of us had followed him as instructed, everyone else has refused to set ski on the 'ice blue of death' as they nicknamed it and hiked off to find a friendlier way onto the mountain!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't agree with distributed weight all that much. It depends what sort of "ice" we are talking about, and it certainly depends even more what sort of skiing we are talking about. But for carving, even if it's real ice, weight on outside ski is solution. Well it's solution even if it's not really icy Smile And of course properly sharp skis.
ski holidays
With the 'death cookies' situation, we overheard an ESF instructor telling her group that they needed to 'go gently' on them, as the death cookies were 'difficult to control'. That was a Franglais to Anglais interpretation, but it may make you feel better..........or not..... Shocked wink
snow conditions
davkt, red 27, scooby_simon, pam w, jbob, never summer, under a new name, queen bodecia, jogi, Fenfilly,

thanks for your input. Back now and things improved greatly but not 100%.

rob@rar, do you still work at HH? Would be interested in a lesson before I go to Verbier on 1/4, as long as you speak decent English!
ski holidays
Quote:

But for carving, even if it's real ice, weight on outside ski is solution.

Really?
snow report
Eq Peter Leuzzi, yes, I teach at HH ( for Inside Out Skiing rather than The Snow Centre itself). Follow the link in my signature for contact details. I have very limited availability for private lessons between now and the end of April as I'm away quite a lot, but get in touch to see if we can find a date which works for you.
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, No problem, hard packed is as much fun as anything once you've got the hang of it! Like queen bodecia I love it and I love the hiss of edges biting in and cutting through it!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I also find such conditions no more difficult than deeper snow, if anything I find that they are more consistent as you don't get into mounded, leg breaking snow territory. I once spent 8 days dancing on boilerplate in Les Arcs and became quite confident at 'dancing on ice'. The way I handle it is to get into the mindset that 'I know what it will be like' - a bit like I use if I am going to drink tea or coffee with sugar in when I would normally not take it. Also, that I find a good thing is to let the slide happen. I watch the surface and am ready for it, if I need to I deploy my best side slipping skills and wait with the resulting slide until I encounter a bit of snow where the turn looks a safer bet. I can deploy the same effect on 'death cookies', but it is more teeth jangling and more difficult to keep the skis under control over the uneven surface.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
biddpyat, much like (I think, from what OP describes) what you find under snow cannons in milder snow making weather - or indeed when it's snowing but not too cold and you end up with a very smooth, very hard but not clear ice finish.

Pretty skiddy stuff.
Oh I know what you mean , not quite the lovely blue ice that I love to hate. I thought op may have been talking about when the snow melts and then freezes , and a piste basher runs over it, and it is millions of black ( dirt) and grey balls, that freeze over. So it feels like your ski ing on a cheese grater, . Edging isn't always good on that because the stuff moves.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy