Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That was the winter holiday: what do you plan for summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Had our weeks skiing, trying to convince other half that we need a second week as our 9 yr old son did so well and needs to continue his progress Toofy Grin
Main obstacle is we've booked flights for 3 week tour of California and Oregon where my sister lives, using my small inheritance from my mum. She loved to spend and travel so it's the best way of blowing it and thanking her wink A few days in LA with my nephew and going to Disney and Universal Studios, drive to Yoesmite, camp in Curry Village for 4 days, drive to Monterey 2 nights, up to San Francisco further 3 nights, then fly to Portland for a week with my sister and husband. Big trip, 3 weeks in total to make the cost of the flights better value, with a mix of tacky, scenery, mountains and culture over the 3 weeks. Thankfully self employed and can take the time Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Delte: Did not read the question properly Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 19-02-14 22:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Loads to do in my neck of the woods that would suit including some good riding for the Missus! Give me a buzz and I'll help you out. We even have a chair lift and cable car open in summer if not in winter! rolling eyes I blame our stupid Burgermeister, but with luck we will vote him out next month!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scuba, its as painful on the wallet! Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My summer holiday is next week, off skiing to Austria again, summer will be spent saving the pennies for our new year ski trip.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I want to take the Boss and the mutt to somewhere in the Alps. Never done it before and my joints are not up to slogging up or down mountains or tackling cols. We both like a bit of cycling, walking and generally having a bit of fun in the hills - Any suggestions?

Flachau! Get a lift up the mountain and have a stroll about and hire bikes and cycle around the valley trails...its what I'll be doing with eeyore in July
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is possibly my favourite in the whole world.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mny skiers sail in the summer and many sailors ski in the winter - probably the same people.

If you already know how, go sailing. If not, go on a course in the Med, where it is warm and there are no tides to worry about (tho the winds can be difficult there)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got another ski trip booked for next month, then off sailing in Turkey Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A week's walking on Skye just booked. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Summer holiday? I haven't been skiing yet! I'm off skiing in March and April, hopefully might get a bit of sun and a cheeky tan!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing up to and including July most likely then sailing in August as most of the glaciers close for work on the lifts then. Plus a bit of paragliding in between trips to the lakes or the glaciers. As I live in a holiday area it is dead cheap for me! Cycling is nice as well as is walking when the snows finally melt from the higher paths.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyhoo, summer will be delayed until late August. We will be heading to the Alps for the last week of August and 1st week of September, but may do a little detour via the Rhone vineyards if I can work it out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading to the Oberstdorf in Sep for some hiking and swimming with the kids.
snow conditions
(in answer to the thread title)
Doucement Doucement Monsieur. I'm only at skiing day 17 of this season yet, 7 to come in March and maybe a cheeky 7 last week of he 3v season and goodness knows how many yet at home here. THEN we think of summer
ski holidays
Why go abroad in the summer - fortunate me in Devon has the holiday scene on my doorstep - even Cornwall is only an hour and a bit down the road - great cycle paths, superb pubs, wall to wall (cough cough well.......sometimes not at all!!!!!)) sun, beaches, hills and moors. Oh and a garden to look after and an occasional bit of voluntary work etc.
snow report
Strax wrote:
a place where the kids might meet some other English kids to play with.

Your experiences welcome.

In my experience, English kids are overrated.
snow conditions
If I have to sit on a beach for any length of time longer than 5 mins I take my power kites.
I started with an 8' flexifoil stacker, bought a 10' to stack it with and now have a 3.5m bulllet which is enough to lift me off the ground in a mild breeze! You can buy cheaper versions, try decathlon for example, but the 4 line flexifoil stings are dead easy to fly and have enough pull to make it very exciting. My g/f loves her 2.4m sting.
I'd google flexifoil in your area and go to a kite shop, ask them about sizes. (You don't want a 13yr old flying a 5m kite...you'd lose him!)
I promise you, your boy, and maybe even your girls will love them!

When you get used to flying, you could get a land board or kite surf to hone the board skills during the summer months. Cool

Hope this helps. Strax
snow report
Replied to wrong post...doh!
snow conditions
I am a similar age to you, and so are my kids; I took seriously to bodyboarding a few years ago, with the kids. It is easier to master than surfing, and requires a higher level of fitness once you get out in the big stuff. A beach holiday can be enjoyed by everyone, but when you get into bodyboarding, you can do it year round! I`ll be in the water tomorrow morning. Some warmer destinations near the UK include the Canaries ( that`s April this year ) Morocco and Portugal, then there is Cornwall, Wales, Ire and France. For the more adventurous, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Africa, cape Verde, Aus, Indonesia. You can equip yourself fully for less than £200. Take a course down at Newquay and get cracking!
snow report
I have just five weeks skiing left. Both my daughters are pregnant right now so I am going to be busy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Mrs WS & I had a great week in Chamonix two years ago. Lovely hotel and choice of gondolas to gain height for walking
latest report
Another mention for Neilson Beachclubs for what you are looking for. Plenty of opportunity for your kids to meet others and your wife can sunbathe all week if she wants while the rest of you keep busy with the many activities available.
snow report
We went to Neiderau last summer and loved it. Mrs. is now converted from awful beach hols to walking in the mountains! Excellent snowHead
snow conditions
We are going to walk part of the Camino, Logrono to Burgos, about 90 miles in a week & then spent a couple of days exploring Bilbao.
snow conditions
We'll most likely head back to Turkey in June or September, when it's not too crowded. We stay in and around a village called Alacati, near to Cesme. It's not the Turkey that you see in the brochures, and I thoroughly recommend it. Amazing restaurants and small hotels, huge sandy beaches and absolutely loads to do, from world championship windsurfing, sailing from Cesme's new marina, hiking, biking and the like, watersports, world class wineries and you can even stay on a horse stables ranch thing (having been no closer to a horse than a Tesco's everyday lasagne, I'm not sure of the correct name). It's like the Cote d'Azur without the bling, concrete or people, and not too hot in the summer with refreshing winds. It's also only an hour from Izmir airport.
snow conditions
mark warner sailing and mountain biking in the early summer on one of their Greek Islands resorts, before it gets too hot, then bodyboarding/learning to surf in Cornwall in August.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've still got another 6 weeks skiing to go yet Happy Not finalised anything for the summer but I'll definitely do some biking somewhere, last year I had a week round the Loire Valley but I might stay in the UK this year. Not sure yet. Having finished work with a daughter off to university in September (and not wanting a summer holiday with me this year) I'll definitely avoid the busy/expensive school holiday period.
ski holidays
We spend so long waiting for the skiing season to start, let's not write it off quite yet - the season's not over by a long way. It's still a month till the first of my 2 skiing trips! Let's talk about skiing and where you've been, and save the summer talk for late April at the earliest!!
ski holidays
Handy Turnip, Oh, I don't know. I have plenty of skiing time left but also happy to think about summer holidays. I can think about more than one holiday at a time!
snow report
pam w, +1

We go on our ski holiday mid April. I have booked us an apartment on the Isle of Wight for last week of school summers holidays (booked last summer).
snow report
pam w, very true and me too, but if I'm honest while I can think about more than one at a time, there's only one I'm excited about! We've got all summer to talk about summery stuff! I can understand where the OP is coming from, if I'd had my snow fix for the year already then I'd be focussing on something else. I'm just saying it's a bit premature - let everyone have their go first!

(Sorry, forgive me - it feels like it's been a long wait to get my snow fix this year. Let me take a small dose of 'Hemel Snowdome' to calm my nerves and I promise to behave from now on!) Smile
snow conditions
Fly Bergen, 4 days in and around Bergen then Hurtigrute ferry to Bodo (takes 3 days), pick up car and drive to end of Lofoten islands where we will stay in a cottage for a week then fly back to UK from Bodo

Mainly walking but also sightseeing / chilling / fishing
snow report
Back to UK, hopefully for 4 weeks. For one of the weeks we'll rent a cottage somewhere on the coast and am currently pondering where. The whole of July is the current plan, need to pay off credit card and book flights!
snow report
As others have said, sailing hol. Have a look at Neilson's Beachclubs, sailing, tennis, MTB-ing and kids have clubs so you have a chance to get stuck in. We have bveen going October half term for years and are off to Lesvos in July for 2 weeks. Cannae beat it.

Or (as others have also said) the Alps. Zell am See is brilliant in summer, walking, biking, sailing, skiing, hore rtiding, castles, mines some of my best summer hols have been in Austria.
latest report
Hopefully I'm going to be spending my summer in D.C., interning at a newspaper or TV news network or something. I got accepted to a program though American University (I wrote about it on my profile, so I won't repeat myself too much). I'm excited about it; I've never been to D.C. My best friend just got accepted to NYU for grad school for next year (music composition), so if she ends up going there, depending on when she moves to the city, I want to try to visit her. According to mapquest, D.C. and NYC are only like, four hours away. (Score!)
If all that falls through, I'll probably just spend my summer working at the local grocery store. Booooring! haha.
ski holidays
We went to near Salzburg last year and the lakes were absolutely brilliant. A great mix of activity stuff for the kids, beaches, culture, riding down a mountain on a strange rail thing, ice caves and beer gardens. Highly recommend.

This year we are off to Southern France with a road bike (pre ironman training for the OH)
snow report
Well I now know how many of my summer Saturdays will be spent. One of our classic cars, a mark 2 jag, has been hired for its first wedding to day. Spent this morning making it look nice, apparently it has several more bookings already!

Mr CaravanSkier is a car nut, sorry did I say that, meant enthusiast, and has several other classic cars in various stages of disrepair. rolling eyes I for see plenty of time spent pressing pedals whilst something or other is bled. Smile
latest report
We would head out to the Far East and go Jungle trekking and Scuba Diving. 😃
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy