Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

suggestions for chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been once, going again.

Last year I skied les houches, brevent/flegere and balme/le tour. I really like them all, though would like to try something new this year. I think I will definitely give les houches a pass this year. I am going for three days. I am an intermediate skier going with another intermediate. I can do easy blacks and am happy to tackle an easy challenge (i.e. an easy black). The only thing I don't want is being stuck somewhere where the only way down is a hard black.

Any suggestions? I haven't done grand montets, which I guess is next on the list. Oh, I won't have a car and will be staying in chamonix centre. so, easy access to suggested areas is key.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you need to do the v.blanche for sure. The only place that you might get a bit stuck for routes down is from the top of brevent. its moguls are pretty deep and steep at the moment, you'd probably be alright though, you might just get down and think to yourself that you dont want to do it again!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Argentiere was my favourite place in Chamonix, good range of slopes and some great off piste, with nice red runs near if you need to get back on-piste. Good moguls too. You can get the bus there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
amps, in principle, you've now done everything in teh Chamonix valley apart from the Grands Montets other than venturing off piste, the obvious first step to which would be the Vallee Blanche. As long as conditions are reasonable it's no worse than an easy red (other than the path (which you can avoid) down from Montenvers which can (although I hear it's being pisted this year) be what north facing paths are often like, icy with hairpins). Take the train instead.

Grands Montets absolutely fine, no blacks necessary unless you want them.

You can of course nip through the tunnel and have a day (or more) in Courmayeur which is very different, often has entirely different weather and definitely has gerat food.

As a left field alternative, and I don't know how the costs stack up but don't buy a weeks pass and explore St Gervais/Megeve and/or Grand Massif too?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or Les Contamines - not much further, and very different.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
do i need a guide to do vallee blanche? or is it obvious how to get down safely?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
amps, you need a guide. Well you don't but unless you are experienced in navigating glaciated terrain, it's known to be fatal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok. how do you go about getting a guide?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm. Les contamines looks interesting. Do chamonix buses go there?

as for exploring st gervais or grand massif, I would love to, but it looks like a faff getting there from chamonix. No?

isn't argentiere the same grand montets?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
argentiere is the same yes.

buses dont go to contamines no. without a car its a pain to get too. st gervais is easier and quite nice. just get the train down to la fayete and then get a bus up from there. take probably 40-50 minutes i suppose to get to the lift.

try dream guides for the VB. You really do need one if your going up there....

there's a bus service on wednesday i think to go to italy, and there another on thursday i think to go verbier.

munchie in town does the best stake, jeckyl does a rack of ribs on sunday for a tenner and comedy night on monday, monkey does half price burgers on monday and its tequilla tuesday at the terrase on tuesday Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Contamines is certainly worth a visit but with a car Sad I've skied it to death having run a few Army events there but my kids love it so we keep returning. I'm always surprised how quiet it is, especially given the guarantee of late snow that Megeve et al don't seem to have!! There's even a Telemark rental shop (Simonds) in town Very Happy

Not sure about the bus route from Chamonix but it's right at the end of the road and as Eddie says "without a car its a pain to get to".......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy