Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires or Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

I'm planning a late season weekend trip, and am really keen on going to Val Thorens.

I've found a deal for a late April weekend, but in Les Menuires. It touts itself as being very close to Val Thorens, and from reading the description it seems as though it is : "You can party at the famous La Folie Douce in Val Thorens and just get the last lift up then ski down the ridge to your chalet."

I did some googling to see if anyone else has done similar, can't really find anything quantifiable (like, it'll take this long to get down .. or.. you have to ski this many runs to get back... etc).

I checked a piste maps and it looks like there are LOADS of lifts and pistes in between the two??

And apparently there is a free bus but it's only 4 times a day.

SO (*deep breath*) - does anybody have experience in these two places, and know whether it's a good idea to stay in Les Menuires if we want to be experiencing the apres ski and so on in VT ?

Appreciate any advice!! Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shazchip, if you want to experience the apres in VT I suggest you stay there. In late April it is possible the Les Menuires pistes will be closing (they closed completely around the 26th April last year I think). Closing party for Folie Douce is 26th ish too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, it is possible, I did it on my trip this year, you don't even need a lift it's just one piste, down down down to doron/bus at the bottom of les menuires. I think it took us a little under 10mins (we were rushing, shuss style) BUT it's very flat and I'm not sure what time the pisteurs 'close' it. We seemed to be cutting it fine (we dodged a pisteur making a fence at one point) left Folie @ around 4:45pm. You can also go UP one lift (closes at 16:40) and then down more normal red pistes. Opening times might be later by April come to think of it, but only by 30mins or so.

If you want a quick folie experience @ 4pm, then yes very possible. If you want to party till the wee hours then head to VT itself, LM is very quiet (trip report from me on here somewhere).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Hells Bells and a.j., good info !
Last year when I was in Meribel, we skiied over to VT side one day and passed the Folie on a chair lift.. as far as I remember, it's at the top of a few pistes, so even if we stayed in VT itself, we'd have to ski back down too, right?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shazchip, Yes, it is at the top of the Plein Sud lift. It's a blue run back in to VT, doesn't take too long.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and too wide for them to close too Wink Although I think pisteurs do come and shuffle the folie folks along at some point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys Smile If any of you are going on the EoSB this year, might see you at the Folie then! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shazchip, proof it is possible - I'm the one with the silly hair Wink

http://youtube.com/v/BCo0ZEufKgU

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-02-14 12:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re the buses, they offer a great (free) service between St Martin, LM and VT...however you really have to be sure you've got the time table printed out, and certainly don't miss the last bus! If you time it right, it's possible...we went to a friends in St Martin and headed up on the last bus...or would have done if we hadn't misread the time table by ten minutes!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha a.j., great video! Makes me want to be there now! Thankfully have booked onto EoSB so decision made - Val Thorens it is! Toofy Grin

Thanks fxf for the info Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy