Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just returned from Solden

Poster: A snowHead
I hate typing so no long trip report but any questions im happy to answer

The skiing was excellent but Its not a place for beginners as its mostly reds and the Blues are more like reds,also the final 200 yards of the run back to the Gaislachkogl lift station is a crowded mogul filled run of sugar/sand type snow.But that was the only very small down side to the skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wasley, Thanks for that trip report, concise but interesting. Smile
However I don't think it covers the topics described by savaloy joy in his epic trip report on Solden from a few years ago... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have said the blues are pretty easy, as are most (but not all of the reds).

Still trying to puzzle out how one of the blues on the glacier turns into a black without warning (although all 8 of us may have missed a sign) the black being the GS course I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, It is signposted but if the vis was bad it is very easy to miss. As you approach the gondola mid-station you keep going across on the flattish run and you find the blue marked again quite a way over.

Try doing that Black run when 3/4 of the piste is closed off for the race. The remaining ribbon is shared with various coaches and techs spectators (yes they climb up that far) and idiots who think they can show World cups racers how to ski! I survived it once and have sworn off it ever since on the race weekend. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghost Dog wrote:
I would have said the blues are pretty easy, as are most (but not all of the reds).

Majority of the blues are ok but a few have some very steep sections from the point of view of a early intermediate or a rubbish skier like myself.

Blue 2 had steep sections at various points on a older map in the hotel it is shown as red
Blue 13/15 and 1a are quite steep on the last 50 meters
And as i metioned earlier the very last part of Blue 9 is a nightmare

on the other had the few blacks i tried didnt seem no worse than final parts of 13/15/1a
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all, I'm seeking advice on where to stay in Solden..... reasonably close to a main lift and to where the action is in the evenings Laughing

So I'm thinking of looking for accommodation either near the Gaislachkogl lift or the Giggijoch lift. Question is, which end of the main strip is the better option?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skidm wrote:
Hi all, I'm seeking advice on where to stay in Solden..... reasonably close to a main lift and to where the action is in the evenings Laughing

Perhaps you should send a PM (Private Message) to savaloy joy, I'm sure he can advise ....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hotel Garni Sunshine is good, directly opposite the Giggijoch, and you get the use of the pool in the hotel opposite. We are returning their next year if they will have us.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skidm wrote:

If you want to be near all the action (fire and ice etc )you need stay the Giggijoch lift end.The other end where we stayed is mainly Hotels and a 20 minute walk for all the main pubs/clubs
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for the tips Ghost Dog and Wasley.

Alastair Pink - will you act as translator? NehNeh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We are returning their next year if they will have us.

You're returning their what? What did you take? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There! Or maybe their towels Wink

skidm, the Fire and Ice is part of the Garni Sunshine building so not far to stagger. Some good rock pubs in Soelden too, if you like feeling that you are starring in a Judas Priest video. Clientele are a mix of befuddled 50 -ish blokes and blokes in skin tight leather and bleached crew cuts.

Music good tho.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

befuddled 50 -ish blokes and blokes in skin tight leather and bleached crew cuts

how could one resist?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skidm We enjoyed a very comfortable stay at Haus Waldele (a very upmarket apartment with breakfast included), booked via Hotels.com (or possibly Booking.com). It's across the river from the Giggijoch Gondola - under 5 mins walk via a footbridge. Handy for the town too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from a cheap week in Solden. Great spring skiing with the glacier, a bit of a trek up to it but well worth it for good snow at the top at this time of year.

Lively après ski at the KookKook and Schirm Bar, and later at Katapult, with robots, go-go, and fire effects..

But the big downside was all the smoking in all the bars... awful and was like going back 10 years... Sad The Weinfassl bar wasn't too bad as it didn't hold too many people, so didn't get too smokey. but the LIVE bar and Orange and Black were about the worst bars I've been in for cig smoke in the last 20 years...

No idea why its been allowed to continue in Solden but it spoiled the nights out. Apres in KookKook or Marco wasn't too bad as essentially you are outside with umbrellas and patio heaters... but you've been warned...
snow report
Just back also. Good fun on the slopes and lively après and nightlife. Get your ass in Grizzly Bar if you want to avoid cig smoke. While the Giggijoch lift was busy first thing, there was no queueing at the Gaislachkogl lift. Also, Obergurgl just up the valley was definitely worth the day visit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy