Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term madness in France !!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As some on here may know I've been mildly dreading the coming holidays.

We never do high season, and it's only because we're fortunate to be out for the whole season that we find ourselves out here, even though the OH is going back to the UK tomorrow for a week.

The New Year week was quite an eye opener and I've never seen it as busy here in Serre Chevalier, though by all accounts no where near as bad as some of the other major French resorts as we're a long way South, so it's not so much the Pariseans but Marseilles / Toulon hordes that come here.

On Saturday have to say I was surprised at how the apartment building below us had only around 15% of parking places occupied.

Yesterday it pretty well snowed all day, and again driving around the resort just did not seem that busy.

Must have had a good 30cm and first lifts were the order of the day as we awoke to this.

So far this season we've done around seven or eight first lift days getting to the lift at 08:45 and being more or less the first, and sometimes the only people in the first cabine.

This morning we had around 15 people in front of us and by 09:00 must have been a good 50, and my heart dropped.

However once up the hill soon became apparent that many did not know where to head for to get fresh tracks, and many were just following each other. We scored some superb lines before I saw a drag open up that gives access to some classic off piste.

By the time we got there there was a substantial queue, but once at the top it was only a few of us that skied the ridge to drop in further along, whilst the majority skied the black piste that was unpisted but very quickly was tracked out.

And so this was the theme for all the morning and till we came back around 13:30.

The lifts where I thought there might be a queue were nigh on empty (was lunch time), we skied over to Monetier after we hooked up with some friends staying and the pistes were just as empty.

After a few runs we left our friends and headed back only to see sectors that would normally be tracked out still virgin, so quick hike and yet more powder.

So best day of the season so far, and we've already had some crackers!

More pictures here

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-02-14 15:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very nice, very jealous. Raining here again Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice tracks, now where is the bright green Emocon?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-02-14 15:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should add that Marseilles's half term is not this week, but the next two, so things might well change Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Suppose at half term all the regular off-piste knowledgeable locals who would normally be competing with you for fresh tracks think 'sod this' and stay away?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Argentiere is just the same - I've rarely seen the off piste so quiet. We've had any amazing couple of days skiing lap after lap of fresh tracks and in many cases first tracks. Lift queues aren't too bad (better than a weekend I had in late January), restaurants are manageable and conditions are out of this world...

The whole half term thing is somewhat overhyped in my view.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not too many here in Val d'Isere either. We even got a table outside on a terrace at 1pm for lunch!

Superb snow and sunny all day. No lift queues either.

Am starting to think I took my children out of school at the wrong time as my half term worries have not come true.

Weathercam has had the best of it though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, it is usually busiest during the two middle weeks, so even thought it is Uk and Paris week 1 this week it won't be too bad. The only time we have noticed the crowds was when the snow was poor.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
March 8-15 will be busy off-piste tho..................... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off piste Tignes was OK today... got fresh tracks all day. On piste was HELL on earth.... never seen so many people. Hope they all spread out a little more from tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will next week still be crazy in Les Arcs?? My work contract forbids me from taking off time in term time (no I'm not a teacher mind!) but I managed to blag next week by the skin of my teeth. I'm dreading it being mental as we usually go in much quieter times and not bang smack in the middle of the season
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now that's the sort of off piste I would like to embarrass myself in. Wide, no cliffs, rocks no one to see me fall over. Last time I had an off piste lesson it was under the yvrets chair Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok not France, but drove from here in Serre Chevalier to Turin this afternoon and stopped off in Claviere (Italy) for a pizza and it was so empty!

Montgenevre (France) looked a little busier, but have seen it far far busier at the weekends.

Obviously the Italians are not on holiday this week either.

Going back to ski Montgenevre / Claviere on Thursday taking some friends, especially for the pizza in Claviere (Mi Chi), really is one of my favorite places Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are in Les Arcs this week. Blue runs jammed, everything else empty wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
Should add that Marseilles's half term is not this week, but the next two, so things might well change Crying or Very sad

the whole place will fill up with snowbladers with jester hats

i have done a couple of Steep Vanoise trips with Offpisteskiing over half terms. You occasionally get a bit of a lift queue (but can use the ski school line with Offpisteskiing - always feels slightly incongruous doing that with fat skis and backpacks Laughing ) but it's mostly families and they are mostly skiing on piste. Not too much competition for lines elsewhere
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy