Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it With Freestyle Aerials and Moguls......

Poster: A snowHead
....... that just doesn't float my boat?

Is it just me (and I'm not one that's into park / jump skiing or boarding myself - strictly piste skiing with a dash of off piste), or does the Freestyle Skiing currently being shown at the Olympics just seem a bit dated, dare I say dull, when compared to some of the new events such as half pipe, slope style and X-cross.

I'm in no way trying to under estimate the skill and bravery of these guys and girls, and the obvious years of training and dedication they've put in to get to this level, but as a spectator I just don't find it that exciting. That being said some of the "Best" crashes I've seen have been during the aerials competition.

I'm happy to be shot down in a wave of angry rebuttals, just my thoughts on the matter during a slow day at work.

And what is it with the safety type glasses they all wear - are goggles against the rules. And come to think of it all the funny poses and ski wear - it's all very 80's!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78,
I agree. I did find the moguls only mildly interesting and completely switch of the Aerials after about 20mins..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing is one of those things you should do, not watch.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I liked the moguls, aerials was a bit boring.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aeriels, mogul 'bumpy jumpy' and snowboard parallel slalom are what you get if you go and leave the FIS in charge. Let FIS officiate at the downhill and leave the frestyle stuff to people who know what the hell its about.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, +1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find the aerials really boring and switch off. Moguls not so much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always kind of felt that aerials and ballet were things thaht were done that just happened to be done on skis. Moguls on the other hand are most excellent!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aerials just seems to be for failed gymnasts... ok maybe that's a bit harsh... but it does seem a bit irrelevant to me. thay said, no doubt that there are some serious skills on display.

moguls is great
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree, found aerials dull as dish water, and did seem like it was from another age.

However, even as a skier who's never really liked the idea of boarding, I've got to say that the boarder-cross was fantastic viewing Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree about the aerials, but moguls is ace.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dullest event so far for me was the Ladies Slopestyle (Snowboard) followed by the blokes. Ski slopestyle was better (higher faster more dynamic) - I bet that's what the kids will go for.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not keen on the aerials but liked the moguls.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread has to be worth chucking these two in...

http://youtube.com/v/_mKVJeA-wTw

http://vimeo.com/86506276

Apologies for any pea-roast...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mozwold wrote:
I agree, found aerials dull as dish water, and did seem like it was from another age.

Like snowboarding then?
snow report
I really don't get Aerials, Arno, I agree with your comment about the failed gymnasts. Also don't understand why they wear glasses.

I just think it's a bit irrelevant now, and dated, with the introduction of slopestyle to the olympics. It's obviously impressive being able to do what they do and land on their feet, but it's boring and repetitive IMO. Moguls is far more entertaining, but again I get bored after a while because of the repetitive nature of it.
latest report
lewisb22 wrote:
I really don't get Aerials, Arno, I agree with your comment about the failed gymnasts. Also don't understand why they wear glasses.

I just think it's a bit irrelevant now, and dated, with the introduction of slopestyle to the olympics. It's obviously impressive being able to do what they do and land on their feet, but it's boring and repetitive IMO. Moguls is far more entertaining, but again I get bored after a while because of the repetitive nature of it.

+1 to both of the above. Can appreciate the skill but it does seem a bit 80's throwvback. Moguls is good for about 4 runs down and then you get bored and envious of the ability to get down moguls like that!

Not envious of the condition their knees will be in by the time they're 25 though.... Toofy Grin
snow report
I'd also ask how many of you have tried skiing down an olympic bumps course? Shocked
snow conditions
lest we forget...

http://youtube.com/v/8SBKG512RnU&feature=player_detailpage
snow report
Richard_Sideways, not to detract from the obvious skill in moguls of which I totally appreciate..............

but I (yes immaturely) think I just fell off my chair laughing. It's definitely that time of night Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
lest we forget...

http://youtube.com/v/8SBKG512RnU&feature=player_detailpage

no wait....this is better!!! #mullets
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Thank god that went the way of one piece ski suits. It's terrible. Very funny but terrible. Strangely reminds me of that woman who used to do aerobics on breakfast telly with Anne Diamond. (surely should be A Diamond)
latest report
Not that she was that talented.
latest report
I watched a bit more of the aerials when I got home today just to check I hadn't been too harsh in the initial post, but as most of the comments above and especially the aerials it does just seem like a bit of an outdated throw back.

Again would like to reiterate the skill on demonstration is very impressive, but it's just all a bit......... well (and I know this is probably non-pc) a bit camp. The most annoying bit in the aerials is the arms pointing up to the ski as they come down towards the jump - whats that about?

under a new name, I think it would take me about 10 minutes to get down one of those mogul runs

Richard_Sideways, very funny.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, good god - I've just spat my Mandarin Vodka (christmas present) all over my laptop!!

Retro Gold!
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Aeriels, mogul 'bumpy jumpy' and snowboard parallel slalom are what you get if you go and leave the FIS in charge. Let FIS officiate at the downhill and leave the frestyle stuff to people who know what the hell its about.

I disagree.

Those are the things that used to happen with the FIS in charge, and are still hanging around. They are dated, particularly the Aerials & moguls, I'm not so sure about the parallel slalom, but they don't want to get rid of them while there still seems to be an appetite for both competing and watching.

But the FIS are also in charge of Slopestyle, Halfpipe and ski/boardercross, all of which seem much more up to date.
ski holidays
I found slalom just as dull as mogul, which is a bit more entertaining than aeriels. I can watch about 4-5 runs before it start to feel repeticious as hell. Aerials, I only managed 3! Wink

Half pipe is basically aerial with multiple run in one go. Again I managed to watch 4-5 before started yawning...

Slopestyle may have some potential. But as of now, it's about as dull (or as entertaining) as slalom or mogul.

I rank ski/boardercross a bit more interesting than the rest.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Laughing

I'm not really a fan of any sport that is 'judged'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think this is the point. But if you watch enough of them you do start to learn what is being judged and can start to see why one is better than the other.

Anyone remember how we all became "experts" in dressage in 2012?
snow report
alex_heney, indeed slopestyle has been very successful this year, and there was a great deal of worry about it being the a "Spin'n'Win" fest which had been halfpipe, but the judges (quite rightly IMHO) awarded variety and clean landings highly.

Aeriels have had their day and after the success of Slopestyle in dual disciplines of ski and snowboard, will undoubtedly fade particularly as slopestyle is better supported outside the 5-ring-circus in terms of competition, prize money and sponsorship possibilities - it'll attract the best athletes.

Snowboard parallel slalom is so divorced from the normal reality of snowboarding as to only ever see the light of day every 4 years. Dates back to the days of the ultra eurocarvers, and when the FIS could only see snowboarding in those terms. Ok, its easy for people to understand but is so divorced from where snowboarding is today as to be almost irrelevant - you may as well run it on monoskis.

Moguls seems the strongest of the 3 I mentioned above; and as long as it still attracts entrants I can see it staying around - although it says something about the state and possible fate of the sport that you have 3 judges watching the precision of the mogul riding, and two judging the aeriel tricks, while the competitors were all good in the air but coming unstuck on the bumps...
latest report
Richard_Sideways, that clip is amazing! Totally brightened up my morning Very Happy
latest report
Richard_Sideways, +1 all of that.

alex_heney, my fear is that the FIS interfere with slopestyle and ski/boarder cross because not enough Scandies won and ruin it
latest report
Reded78 prepare to be shot!!Mr mogulski and I have been glued to the Olympics and loving every minute of what we have watched. We are 2 of Britain's 3 FIS freestyle ski judges so have been scoring the events we judge and then comparing with the Olympic scores - usually only 0.1 to 0.3 off their scores unless the camera views miss part of the run. This was particularly so in the moguls as we always judge from straight ahead so seeing a side view doesn't help. Also the commentator for the moguls was dreadful and didn't have much clue about what the airs actually were. Commentator for aerials was better. Best commentary was for slopestyle where they had one of the half pipe team helping out (Murray Buchan who lives very near to me and a former pupil of mine). Good luck Murray in your event soon....
We trained with the Olympic judging team in France last autumn so it was a challenge for us to see if our scores agreed with theirs. If you understand what is happening in any of the freestyle disciplines it is very exciting as there are so many factors that affect the final result. Personally I find alpine racing absolutely deadly boring as unless there is a clock showing how they are placed all you see is skier after skier going fast and you can't judge who is fastest. I have only watched a few runs of each alpine event.
Slopestyle, both ski and board were really good but some people don't appreciate that unless you land cleanly its not a good trick and won't be very highly scored. I loved watching the Aussie go from just slipping into finals in 8th place to getting silver medal in men's aerials yesterday. It's seeing how they all deal with the pressure of having to put down a clean difficult run and the tactics of what to do in each run ion all of the judged sports that makes it exciting. Several top athletes wiped out under pressure.
I'm not going to enter the arguments about who should be in team GB but will make the point that once the selection criteria are published they become a legal document and cannot be altered so all the petitions were never going to change what happened. That is why there is a legal representative on the panels to see that the published criteria are followed. I have been on the parent's end of this in 2006 when my own son wasn't selected so know all about the feelings.
On another point I can absolutely say there is no fixing in freestyle skiing. I know many of the officials and it is all run strictly to FIS rules. There will always be some events where it may be easier to gain points particularly if the field is small and good luck to anyone who manages to enter these. However it is constantly changing as if an event has a small number one year and may then be easier many more people may enter the next year and then it become more difficult to get up the rankings.
ski holidays
Quote:

Like football (Ref!) you mean.

Anyway, I really enjoy the aerials (just like I like watching diving) and can see very clearly what is going on and it is easy to count twists and somersaults. Whereas I find slopestyle tedious because I don't get why sliding down a rail one way is any different to another.

Each to there own and may they all continue.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

Like football (Ref!) you mean.

I did think about that while I was posting but I'd argue that refs and umpires etc... are there to ensure the rules/codes are followed first & foremost.

However, they serve as a great example of how the 'human' factor can affect the outcome of a match in the same way personal interpretation of a run can effect the final outcome of the scores.

Boxing seems to throw up some very interesting points scores some times.
snow conditions
Amateur boxing seams to have really got its house in order after Seoul, pro boxing has always had its dodgy side
ski holidays
Quote:

Slopestyle, both ski and board were really good but some people don't appreciate that unless you land cleanly its not a good trick and won't be very highly scored.

Slight thread derailment, but I don't totally like this aspect. IMO, it means that the people who come 3rd and 4th were often those who put down a safe routine and didn't push themselves and 'go for gold'. Some of the better riders were pushing themselves but not having clean landings so coming much lower down the pack. Makes it a bit tactical and not as exciting as it should be.
latest report
The other day we came up with a way to make ski jumping more interesting. You run blind clay pigeon shooting at the same time. Try landing a jump with a few grammes of lead in your backside. They'd have to be blind though otherwise they'd hit them every time, which makes it less entertaining. Same could work for the aerials. Thought curling could get livened up if one in twenty of them was explosive. That would make them more reluctant to get in with the brushing business.
latest report
Mistress Panda, you could tie little bells to their boots to give the shooters a fighting chance of at least a good maiming.
snow conditions
And after half a bottle of port a friend and I came up with a bob track that it twice to three times as wide with 4 bob sleighs coming down at a time - skier cross style!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy