Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you ski with odd skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I presume different lengths or cuts will be a struggle if not potentially dangerous. But lets say you had two pretty similar all mountain ski's in near identical lengths. Is there any reason you couldn't ski them? Has anybody ever done so?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only that the person you nicked the other ski from will be pissed. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, how dare you Laughing

No, I am thinking about if one ski was irrepairably damaged or lost. If you had or could find something similar is there any reason you couldn't pair them up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless the turning radius and stiffnes were the same I imagine it would be a nightmare - esp if you are aiming to carve. Once skied with one touring boot in the "ski" poistion and the other in the "walk" position - it made a hell of a negative difference to my skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Unless the turning radius and stiffnes were the same I imagine it would be a nightmare - esp if you are aiming to carve.

you'd need to do all your turns on one foot. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For a laugh, one day a bunch of us all swapped skis. I can confirm that skiing on odd skis is possible but a nightmare.
Gave the liftie a chuckle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
For a laugh, one day a bunch of us all swapped skis. I can confirm that skiing on odd skis is possible but a nightmare.
Gave the liftie a chuckle.

Laughing What was it like?- ski left made the tips cross and skiing right you ended up doing the splits?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, I guess it was like skiing drunk, hang we were drunk.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, I have vague recollections of my sons trying that too, don`t recall them lasting the whole day though!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have done this - two of my best friends have the same 335mm boot size as me.

Skied a Dynastar Cham thing next to one of my Whitedot Preachers. Was fine on piste if requiring a bit of concentration. Was manageable off-piste with serious concentration off-piste.

Worse still was a Preacher coupled with a Head iSupershape Speed - positively dangerous in all situations - ended up skiing on one ski rather than attempting the pair!

You basically end up stem turning or just turning on one ski. Carving on both edges is impossible (or was for me, anyway)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
I presume different lengths or cuts will be a struggle if not potentially dangerous. But lets say you had two pretty similar all mountain ski's in near identical lengths. Is there any reason you couldn't ski them? Has anybody ever done so?

On a historical note, in Finland and some other Scandinavian countries, it was common practice for hundreds of years to ski (admittedly cross-country) with one long ski and one short ski.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers folks. Sounds like it would have to be a good match to be "useable"!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't see why it would be dangerous in any particular sense? You wouldn't be able to rail with 50:50 weight, but then if you're skiing at higher performance levels you aren't wanting to do that anyway... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be easier telemarking than alpine I reckon
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:

No real problem at all.

Back when I worked for another ski co. I skied a day with one ski 99 underfoot and the other (same design in other respects) 115 underfoot. Yes I could tell they were different but not enough to ruin the day.

Also did a day of one 179 and one 192 (both 99 underfoot) same result.

So go for it.
latest report
How about Rax skis. They're pretty odd. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tried this last year with horizon. Actually worked better than you would think.
ski holidays
Did a drill once years ago when doing an ASSI course with a blade on one foot & a my regular ski (168cm Volkl IIRC) on the other. Was pretty weird to start with but soon got used to it & when we had to do some formation skiingthe different length skis were soon forgotten when concentrating on matching the turns of others.
snow report
Elston wrote:
Tried this last year with horizon. Actually worked better than you would think.

Yup, I posted on some other thread about it. Rather different geometry too - a 191 cm, 112mm-waist charger ski mounted traditionally, and a 180 cm, 80-something mm waist park ski, kinda center mounted if I remember well.
snow conditions
spyderjon, I've also done that, but as a result of losing a bet. OK on piste when you tuned in to the differences, but tried a little off piste and that was not successful.
snow conditions
I remember one day at Glenshee in the 60s when having broken a ski (caught in a snow fence) I took another pair out. Having done something similar with them I ended up skiing with the odd pair for the rest of the day. Seemed to work ok, but there was probably less difference in the characteristics of skis back in those days. At least they were all the same length - 210s !
ski holidays
of course you can, but only if you film yourself and then post results on here Laughing
ski holidays
I have read several reports of lift stations appearing with odd and previously abandoned skis that have helped skiers get down following breakages/losses of skis. fC springs to mind recently so I assume it must be possible with care. I have to say that we had been skiing for about an hour or so with the kids one day (several years ago) to find that they were both on one ski that was 10cm longer than the other - I think their boots were very similar in length!! Since then they have always taken a little more care when both skiing matched models with matching top coats!!! However, they hadn't noticed the difference when skiing them!!!
latest report
Layne wrote:

Saw your poles in half. Take some cookery lessons at Hemel and practice with half a split board on one foot and a snow blade on the other. Reverse your ski boots so right is left and then ski sideways. Do the falling into tree wells drill. Man up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy