Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach last week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week in Alpbach -

Hired these:

And picked up these as my new boots...

They rock! Bit softer than I'm used to but awesome all over the place.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and how did the OH get on?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not well, truth be told.

I was gutted - she did a full day of private tuition and couldn't do a basic SP. The guy was rubbish. Really pissed off. I could see from a mile away what the issue was but felt it wasn't my place to say so.

We then had an issue with the buses and where we were staying, ie; they didn't stop anywhere near, so we had to walk close to 1km back home. This killed her ankles.

She then went into 'Ski School' the next day and the ankles got worse.

Short story - after one and a half days, she called it. She was in tears, I was in tears because she tried so hard for me. Her ankles ballooned Sad

She came up the mountain for the next few days and chilled out but she says that skiing isn't her thing - she loves the mountains but doesn't get skiing.

That said, she wants to try again but only if I teach her. Reason being, I watched her a bit on her first day and told here what I thought she'd need to focus on. On the second day, she had a new instructor that took her aside, and said exactly what I did.

For my part, I had a couple of lessons: On the second day, and the last day. First lesson was all about tydying up my upper body, second lesson was a race session. I had an almighty wipe out in the latter! Very humbling - Doesn't matter how good you think you are!!! Hehe, the instructor got the beers in afterwards.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 17-02-14 10:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AsterixTG wrote:

She came up the mountain for the next few days and chilled out but she says that skiing isn't her thing - she loves the mountains but doesn't get skiing.

My other half said the same after Courchevel. He quit after the first two days as well and says he doesn't want to go skiing again Sad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We then had an issue with the buses and where we were staying, ie; they didn't stop anywhere near, so we had to walk close to 1km back home.

In ski boots! Shocked No wonder the poor woman gave up. If she;s going to give it another go, be very careful that your accommodation is either right on top of the nursery slopes/easy lifts or, at the worst, right on top of a bus stop. Sorry your OH had a rubbish instructor - but quite frankly, a whole day even with the best instructor in the world is too much for yer average beginner especially if your ski boots are not really comfy. 2 hours is plenty, IMHO. Diminishing returns for many after that, except the most keen and apt beginners.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fully agree Pam - she had three hours. Our problem was we traveled on a Friday (the weekend in the Middle East is Fri & Sat). They're geared up for people to travel/changeover on a Saturday with Ski School starting on the Sunday. So, all the instructors had the day off - we had a very young guy and his method of teaching was to show her and then ask her to copy. No explanation of what was going on.

When she switched over to ski school on the Sunday, she had a far more senior guy who was excellent but by then the ankles were shot having had to walk in them the previous afternoon.

All i can say is that she always surprises me with her strength and tenacity - she's an awesome woman.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great photo AsterixTG. Shame about the probs for your OH Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gutted for her. If you lived over here I would recommend that she has lessons on a dry ski slope or in a fridge - not sure how close you are to the Dubai one?

I went skiing when I was about 14 and then never again until 30. ph had never skied. We just had hour long lessons once a week for months and when we got to La Plagne we could ski all the Blues straight away so it was really rewarding.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and if you do get her to go again - do lots of research on where you will be staying and slope access, Im sure between us we can find the perfect place.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AsterixTG, oh I am absolutely gutted for you! . . . It sounds like she had very ill fitting boots for her ankles to swell so badly, this on top of the walking in them, poor instruction etc etc has not made for a good start. I hope you can show her our comments, and she will give it a second try, somewhere more convenient etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar to Shimmy Alcott here - tried once aged 13, hated it ("There's snow in my ear!"), then took dry slope lessons when I was 28 because I could see how much OH loved it. Crucial thing for me was that I decided for myself to try again - he didn't push me. So don't despair entirely! And I agree that regular short lessons might be the way to go, if such things are possible for you in Dubai.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the comments guys - the good news is, she'd like to try a lesson or two here at the Dubai Ski Dome (of which I will do a small review in a few weeks - don't know if one has been done from here before?), get the boots as good as possible and then see how it goes.

There's still hope yet chaps! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AsterixTG, It certainly sounds positive and definitely the way forward, all the best x
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did you just kiss me?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy