Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Standard' Goggles that work over glasses.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post here, and potentially a confusing question.
I like to wear goggles when I ski, but have to find ones that fit over my glasses. I'm well aware of specific "OTG" goggles, but they are quite limited in number, which massively reduces your options when it comes to choice.

Therefore, could anyone recommend any 'standard' non-OTG goggles that can fit over glasses without any problems? A lot that I've seen online look massive, and potentially able to fit over glasses, but does anyone have any experience of using non-OTG goggles over the glasses?

Thanks
Dan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StudentSnowHead, have you looked at Bollé ones?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My husband has always (for over 30 years) had to wear goggles over his glasses and purchasing a pair has just been a question of going into a shop with a good selection and trying them all on until he finds some that are a good fit. It has never been all that difficult, wearing glasses inside goggles is just another (all be it irritating) factor to take into account when getting a comfortable, good fitting pair!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My girlfriend has the same problem and has just bought a pair of No Fear goggles from Sports Direct. They fit over (admittedly quite small) glasses and work with a helmet too.
They appear to be reasonable quality, but being from Sports direct, they're pretty cheap (20 quid ish I think).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
StudentSnowHead, I've just bought a pair of light sensitive ones from Scott (just checked them to be sure - helmet Smith, goggles Scott) and they were perfect on a bluebird day with strong sunshine and again on a clagged-in one;100% humidity snowy whiteout. I was amazed to be honest. Visibility was perfect whatever the weather and I was really unaware of them changing. Neither the goggles, nor my glasses fogged up on either day. I've not worn them for many days skiing yet, but so far I am really impressed with them, especially on flat light and bad visibility days. none of that eternal faffing of goggles up and down like the proverbial that leads to them getting wet inside and more prone to fogging.

OK they were not cheap (99.99 Euro), but nor were they as expensive as some of the mistakes I've made. I have about 6 pairs of others that are now redundant I suppose. Buying cheap OTG glasses is really false economy as they will not be OK for all occasions. I had been looking for an OTG version of a pair a friend recommended (Quattroflex) but they were no longer made and they also cost the best part of 190 Euro (GULP!!) Shocked Shocked

Another thing I bought with these was an expander/extension band to fit across the back of my helmet so that the goggles were not so tight on it meaning I had to drag them over the small peak (Smith Vantage helmet). This means they sit well on my face and on my helmet without putting the strap under too much strain. I'd never seen one of these things before but I suppose they are out there and have been for a while.

To be honest, after years of searching for the Holy Grail of "one size/colour" for all conditions and that fits over my glasses, the only thing I have learnt is take your helmet with you to the shop. Then keep trying on goggles until you have a comfortable fit that you can live with, both when they are down over the glasses AND you can lift off without dragging your specs off your face.

If you don't wear a helmet fine, but you do need to try a variety of OTG ones before you buy. Go into the shops in the UK and in resort and just ask for them. Maybe over here in the mountains, in the resort there is more choice than in the UK. I would never buy goggles to fit over my glasses by mail order by the way, way too risky and the returning of the failures a PITA! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends to some extent on your glasses - some styles are just unlikely to fit inside goggles. I'm currently using a pair of Bolle non-OTG ones, which do fit over my glasses, or rather my glasses fit inside them (which means the glasses come off with the goggles). It's not perfect, and it seemed last weekend that the reactions lenses on my glasses still darken under the goggles - obviously not a problem with non-reaction lenses. My preference is to ski with contacts, but then map reading is a bit more difficult.

Ultimately the advice above is right - take your helmet, if you wear one, and try as many as possible to find the best fit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It depends to some extent on your glasses - some styles are just unlikely to fit inside goggles.

another option might be to look at getting a very cheap pair of basic, very small, glasses which will give you a greater range of options. I now wear contact lenses (having been convinced for years I couldn't cope with them, I came across a really skilled practitioner who enabled me to do so) but for the previous few years I had great success with goggle inserts which had just my long distance prescription in (my every day glasses are varifocal). They could be very easily switched from one pair of goggles to another.

I now have light-sensitive goggles (Bollé) as well, and have been very pleased with them, in a variety of conditions, so far.

and welcome to snowheads, by the way. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

another option might be to look at getting a very cheap pair of basic, very small, glasses which will give you a greater range of options

This. I went to specsaver with my goggles and specifically got the smallest width glasses I could find to stop them snagging (which is a pain as it turns out as the current style is for glasses wider than a Danish architect, did find a pair though - £25 and they fit much nicer under my goggles... which I then changed for the nice new pair of Oakley Canopys which are much roomier than my old OTG goggles... I've more money than sense! WEeeeeee... Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies everyone... I'll have a look at Bollé. At the moment I have a pair of Oakley OTG's which fit great and work perfectly in low-light, but I'm considering getting a set for bluebird conditions too, hence the question. Thanks guys!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
StudentSnowHead, Exactly what I was looking for - a set of OTGs which you could change lenses on. Canopy worked for me. Yeah they're big but you do end up with a really good field of vision.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This will be the last time I write this (until the next time)

I wear glasses with standard goggles.

With a pair of nail scissors just cut away about 1cm of the foam on each side where the arms of your glasses go.

Creating these channels means there is no pressure on the glasses, they dont snag on the goggles as you take them off.

The real added bonus is that it creates just enough extra air flow which stops them fogging up. Mine never fog ups at all. It is not enough extra air flow to make your eyes/face cold.

Do it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helmet + visor.

Alpina currently do an excellent reactolite version.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, I've seen your suggestion before and I'm very tempted to give it a try. Any chance of a pic of your foam surgery please, just to make sure I'm about to do the right thing wink Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy