Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment thefts on the mountain

Poster: A snowHead
Remember Konrad Batondski, the former UK ski racer? I reckon he must have nicked the ski pole wink

Either that, or a Dutchman thought it might help him fly back to Amsterdam airport.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Another potentially interesting thread derailed... Thanks for that

there are plenty of threads about ski equipment thefts. That's a very peculiar post which zikomo unearthed at 1712.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, maybe it was amusing in context?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just found this:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/250991674157

Definitely investing!

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KristinaV, excuse the pun but I like the sound of that!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tip. Don't put locks in hip pockets. Can dig in badly if you fall. Thigh pockets are good if you have them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
pam w, maybe it was amusing in context?

You are kidding right? How could this possible be amusing?!! I find it amazing that you are all standing up for this poster. I find it quite disturbing and not something that should be tolerated. Why is none at least considering that limegreen1 is posting at best inappropriate material and at worst downright racist.

Not that it matters (as frankly there is not excuse I can think of), I will try and post the link as the comment seemed to come from nowhere!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72333

Does the link work? If not please someone tell me how to do it. It is quite a short thread and this comment from limegreen1 seems to have ended it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo, yes, your link to a post from three years ago does work. Seems to me its more a post critical of our benefit system than being racist?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(Im giving limegreen1 then benefit of the doubt here as I dont think you can judge him as being racist from one joke and a post on the benefits system (a benefit system which actually is pretty messed up))
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well I think you are all being quite kind; homophobic as well as racist?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zikomo, yawn yourself. It was a gag and if you'd open your mind for a moment you'd see that and if we all follow your lead then labelling an iffy pizza as Italian would be a crime. Your own self-appointed intolerance is the issue.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, does saying the word lesbian make you homophobic? I have a lesbian niece and a mixed race niece Im yet to be offended by anything he has said. Im open to the fact that he might be racist and he might be homophobic but Id want a lot more supportive material before Id start throwing around accusations.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KristinaV wrote:
Just found this:

Definitely investing!

Dont, I thought it looked good and ordered. Wasn't happy with the retailer for a couple reasons, and more importantly when it did arrive I discovered it was much bigger than I expected, better off with one of the smaller ones without the alarm, as a detterent they work pretty well
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, fair enough, the word lesbian isn't homophobic, of course. But the way that that post used both "asian" and "lesbian" did grate on me. Why were they necessary?
latest report
pam w, I'll certainly be watching him Wink
latest report
I can imagine that the pole wasn't lost but fell off his ski while others were clambering for their skis, why on earth would anyone want to steal one ski pole? . A good tip to not have your skis stolen is just swap one ski with someone else in your group, then park your skis away from each other. That way if a theif wants to pinch a set of skis they won't pick one long one and one short one with different bindings, as they will be no good.
snow report
biddpyat, doesn't help much when you and your oh ski identical skis same length same bindings etc.
ski holidays
Good point, I stopped bringing my own skis years ago, just travel light now always hire skis, get top class skis, can change them each day if I choose , always fully waxed, with good edge. How many couples though will actually have matching skis? so it is good advice for those with partners or people in the group that don't ski identical skis. You could always just separate your skis anyway , put one here the other there, thieves will be in a hurry to go searching for partner skis.
ski holidays
SkiG wrote:
KristinaV wrote:
Just found this:

Definitely investing!

Dont, I thought it looked good and ordered. Wasn't happy with the retailer for a couple reasons, and more importantly when it did arrive I discovered it was much bigger than I expected, better off with one of the smaller ones without the alarm, as a detterent they work pretty well

Hmmm, did you get the 'mini' one? This image I would assume would be a trustworthy representation of the size against a snowboard? I thought this looked like a decent size:

snow conditions
mightysaints wrote:
Please all keep a look out for you gear. my 16 year old boy had one ski pole nicked whilst at the Follie in Tignes. The poles were strapped over the skis so this was a deliberate and not a case of mistaken identity. Bit hard skiing back to Tignes with one pole and cost me £30 with the hire company. I can remember when this was never an issue and you could just relax knowing your gear was not going to go missing Mad

OH and I always lock our skiis. If poles get nicked then not such a biggie (although obvious not what you want!!). People give us peculiar looks from time to time as they just chuck theirs down and must be thinking "oh how ridiculous, why bother" etc etc but I'd rather take 2 mins to whack the cable around them both and see how far some theives would get trying to steal them. If anything else, acts as a deterrant and would certainly raise eyebrows I hope if someone was seen tampering. Gives us a bit more peace of mind to enjoy an apres anyway if we're not near them outside wink
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
How many couples though will actually have matching skis? so it is good advice for those with partners or people in the group that don't ski identical skis.

I personally think it's some of the smartest advice I've heard; I love the idea!
snow conditions
zikomo

I have accepted your standing.

I have tolerated personal abuse. I have tolerated being called a racist.

... people always start " im not a racist but... " and then they speak of immigration or the benefit culture .... The correction of this prefix is high on the political agenda.

I thought you said to the cramps that we had strong arguements and had accepted such and were back to skiing. That was your defence to the cramps yet here we are ....

Pam W .... Asian and Lesbian in the same paragraph Shocked ... grates on you ? .... I also mentioned a person with one leg on a snowboard yet you make no mention of it ? Embarassed ...

For the record my Polish born girlfriend and her mother find Zikomo ... funny ??
ski holidays
limegreen1,+1. In fairness I did "prod the beast" a little, but I too tried to put a fullstop under it. He is still wrong. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:
...They were black Scott poles, in reasonably good condition....

Racist!

wink
latest report
I'm running out of popcorn..
snow conditions
I'm OFFENDED!

Can't remember what I was offended about but I'm pretty much sure there is something else to be offended by so I shall stay in a ready state and pounce on anything about a non-white or non-British or anti-feminist or meat eating or gas guzzling cars or climate change deniers or immigrants or...

Damn it! I'm now offended with myself as I can't remember what else I should be offended about.

Long live the BBC!
ski holidays
limegreen1 wrote:
zikomo

I have accepted your standing.

I have tolerated personal abuse. I have tolerated being called a racist.

... people always start " im not a racist but... " and then they speak of immigration or the benefit culture .... The correction of this prefix is high on the political agenda.

I thought you said to the cramps that we had strong arguements and had accepted such and were back to skiing. That was your defence to the cramps yet here we are ....

Pam W .... Asian and Lesbian in the same paragraph Shocked ... grates on you ? .... I also mentioned a person with one leg on a snowboard yet you make no mention of it ? Embarassed ...

For the record my Polish born girlfriend and her mother find Zikomo ... funny ??

I am sure you are a nice person,. But if you can't see how inappropriate your words are then it is very hard to interpret them any other way. What you are doing is bringing race (and immigration status/sexual orientation/disability) up in ways that are unnecessary and unacceptable.I have not been personally abusive, but you actually have. I think the arguments you have subsequently made make sense, but I do not at all agree with them. In fact it seems strange to me that you can and do make coherent and sound argument but only to justify unacceptable language. If you out the same amount of thought in before you posted something that would avoid the situation entirely.

As an additional point, I am not alone in finding your words disturbing. I think, however, that others feel intimidated by some of the very aggressive responses (and you are not the main culprit in this case).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
limegreen1,+1. In fairness I did "prod the beast" a little, but I too tried to put a fullstop under it. He is still wrong. Madeye-Smiley

No you did not try and put a full stop under it. You attempted sarcasm and aggression and it did not work. You point seems to be that you are right and I am wrong, and that I am too close minded to see any other argument. Interesting.

You are also part of the intimidation here that stops others from joining the debate. Does not bother me personally but I don't like to feel others might be put off by it.
snow conditions
zikomo,
Quote:

You are also part of the intimidation here that stops others from joining the debate. Does not bother me personally but I don't like to feel others might be put off by it.

You might like to know that I decided not to join the debate for one reason, and one reason alone, namely that it's impossible to discuss what constitutes humour (whether tasteless or otherwise) with someone who simply doesn't have a sense of humour.

I'm sure you're aware that there's nothing a Jewish person likes more than a good Jewish joke. Does this obtain amongst Poles?
snow report
zikomo wrote:

So, to clarify, you're offended on behalf of those that might be offended.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:

As an additional point, I am not alone in finding your words disturbing. I think, however, that others feel intimidated by some of the very aggressive responses (and you are not the main culprit in this case).

I don't much like limegreen's original post finding it both unnecessary and badly done, but I'm not at all intimidated, I made my point and have moved on. FWIW I've partly stayed out of it since as there is something about your style of posting which I don't fancy being aligned with - and I'm sorry I can't be more particular about what, as I'm sure it would be helpful. Puzzled
ski holidays
a.j., +1 again.
snow report
KristinaV wrote:
SkiG wrote:
KristinaV wrote:
Just found this:

Definitely investing!

Hmmm, did you get the 'mini' one? This image I would assume would be a trustworthy representation of the size against a snowboard? I thought this looked like a decent size:

Im not sure if that is the same one tbh, will have a look when I get home. I suspect it may be, but when you look at the footplate (or whatever boarders call that thing) it is almost the width of that, and I suspect it is also a very large board.

Suppose if you ski with a bag it doesnt matter so much, but if you want it in your pocket I much prefer the smaller combination one I picked up a couple of years ago, thought I had lost, and then happily found! Its about a quarter of the size, and although less sturdy, I suspect both are no more than a deterrent, and wont stop a determined thief, just the opportunist one.

Also most importantly, either should satisfy your insurance!
ski holidays
zikomo, Not only do you attack racism when there isn't any, you attack those who point out to you that you are mistaken, and you call me aggressive.

Why do you use unpleasant and incorrect accusation as an argument technique?

This is SH, not the BBC. It is therefore pretty balanced. I wasn't a huge fan of the original joke, but I saw it for what it was, a joke. You jumped straight in with an accusation of racism. That is aggressive. Someone told you to chillax, I think they had a point. Why do insist on seeking offence where none was intended?

I am not an "apologist", and saying that those who said that they weren't offended were apologists, was a clear attempt to use intimidation to stop people saying so and therefore, in your world, being labelled racists by association.
snow conditions
The funniest thing about this thread is there is a stalwart few completely ignoring zikomo's "offence-taking" and the surrounding furore (not fuehrer, don't mention the war, phew) and still discussing ski security! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

joe
snow report
joe1978, I did offer advice about which pocket to not put a lock in. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
thecramps, yes you did. Credit where credit's due! Very Happy
snow conditions
joe1978, made me giggle too Laughing
latest report
joe1978, BTW, did you mention the war? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy