Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment thefts on the mountain

Poster: A snowHead
thecramps, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
adithorp wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:
...They were black Scott poles, in reasonably good condition....

Racist!

wink

Class.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
I use one of these personally - very small so easily stored in your pocket and while not enough to deter a determined thief, it should be enough to convince them there's easier targets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001PK0E14/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&tag=amz07b-21

Got one of those for our trip to Val d'Isere. Very easy to use and, yes, not enough to stop someone who really wants your skis but enough to stop errors of opportunists.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaza wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
I use one of these personally - very small so easily stored in your pocket and while not enough to deter a determined thief, it should be enough to convince them there's easier targets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001PK0E14/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&tag=amz07b-21

Got one of those for our trip to Val d'Isere. Very easy to use and, yes, not enough to stop someone who really wants your skis but enough to stop errors of opportunists.

Don't underestimate human stupidity,

"Oh! Look! Some idiot thought it funny to chain my skis to this rack! Where's the wirecutters?"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snoozeboy wrote:
adithorp wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

Racist!

wink

Class.
ah not scotts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

Don't underestimate human stupidity,

"Oh! Look! Some idiot thought it funny to chain my skis to this rack! Where's the wirecutters?"

Toofy Grin I can sooo picture that happenning....especially outside a bar....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
biddpyat wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:
adithorp wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

Racist!

wink

Class.
ah not scotts.

Souldn't that be Scotch....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thecramps wrote:
zikomo, Not only do you attack racism when there isn't any, you attack those who point out to you that you are mistaken, and you call me aggressive.

Why do you use unpleasant and incorrect accusation as an argument technique?

This is SH, not the BBC. It is therefore pretty balanced. I wasn't a huge fan of the original joke, but I saw it for what it was, a joke. You jumped straight in with an accusation of racism. That is aggressive. Someone told you to chillax, I think they had a point. Why do insist on seeking offence where none was intended?

I am not an "apologist", and saying that those who said that they weren't offended were apologists, was a clear attempt to use intimidation to stop people saying so and therefore, in your world, being labelled racists by association.

I have not been unpleasant, aggressive, personal or otherwise intimidatory towards you. I can't be bothered going through all the posts to prove that you have, even by your own admission, but it is there for all to see. All I have done is stand up for myself, explain and justify my opinion, and challenge head-on any unpleasantness directed my way.

You do seem to have a real problem though as you clearly cannot accept anyone having a different opinion to you. You insist that I am completely "wrong" (your words), and cannot accept at all that I may have even the slightest point. You keep insisting on this (by my count 4 times).

Neither of us is wrong. We simply have a very different point of view.

Anyway, I am bored of this back and forth. I will continue to challenge what I view as inappropriate/offensive. I will not respond to any more posts from you however (for which I am sure you will be grateful Laughing )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo wrote:
We simply have a very different point of view.

Yours is wrong though.

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we use one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kryptonite-Keeper-512-Combo-Cable-GK210214-/321302862356?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item4acf249a14

Not as bulky as it looks, and long enough to go through two sets of skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon this would be amusing:

+
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a rather distinctive pair of K2 Apache MSL, you don't see many of this model.

Last year in Italy I was walking away with them over my shoulder , a rather irate German chap run over to me and started to wrestle them off me. His English was about as good as my German, but I worked out he thought I had stole his skis when his mates shouted over showing his same skis rolling eyes rolling eyes

Did I get an apology Puzzled Erm NO
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp wrote:
biddpyat wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:
adithorp wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

Racist!

wink

Class.
ah not scotts.

Souldn't that be Scotch....
Not in the context of the post, scotts ski poles, If I wrote scotch then I wouldn't be playing on the theme of the previous two quotes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KristinaV wrote:
I reckon this would be amusing:

+
I LOVE THAT, very funny.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Sweden we did see a dog tied to a ski rack. Bit of an extreme measure though. Would it go in the hold or as hand luggage?
latest report
Anybody know a where would be good to advertise to sell a single ski pole? No offers on ebay (but maybe my asking price too high, €30). Going for €9.99 now
snow report
peanuthead, is it black?
snow conditions
It is a black, thecramps, what you mean is it a scott. mmmmmm let me see what can I use one ski pole for....... handy for holding several amounts of loo paper at a time.
snow report
biddpyat, spare gear stick for a 2cv, a mobile hat stand, a fishing rod for small rivers (or ponds)....

The list is endless.

I didn't want to ask if it was a scott in case I was accused of racism.
snow report
a candlestick
ski holidays
andyrew, touché Laughing
latest report
Imagine the thrill, your on a ski resort, and you decide you will chance all the prying eyes, and wander up to a ski stand, full of new skis, long ones, short ones, new ones, flashy ones, and you risk stealing a pole, . I don't see the attraction to that. I can't get my head around someone stealing a ski pole, a set of poles perhaps, ( although poles are fairly cheap) but ONE... I think that if Scotland yard were called in at the very end of the evening they would find one lonely lost pole at the bottom of the pile.
ski holidays
Unless maybe someone wanted a pole for a GoPro (other cameras are available) ... maybe if they didn't have any poles ...
Though I don't want to be "Boardist"
latest report
Good point truss,
snow conditions
, ooo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-02-14 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
limegreen1 wink let it go dude, let it go....
ski holidays
a.j. wrote:
limegreen1 wink let it go dude, let it go....

advice taken snowHead
snow report
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Truss ski wrote:
Unless maybe someone wanted a pole for a GoPro (other cameras are available) ... maybe if they didn't have any poles ...
Though I don't want to be "Boardist"

Now that is actually quite clever, and funny.

There will be some here cannot see the difference, so to be clear it is because this has no negative connotations, does not refer to any stereotypes and does not associate anything derogatory with a nationality/race (like, say, criminality).
latest report
and also a reasonable theory. As an occasional boarder and gopro user myself, I recall being teased for carrying a collapsible pole - the other boarder said he never bothered "cause you can always find a spare ski pole up the mountain..."
ski holidays
now Kerb, the solution to my quandary, why someone would steal one pole.
snow report
I have always swapped skis with those that I'm skiing with, but I might just add another level this year by adding a bike lock that I was given free (yay!) at Centre Parks a couple of years ago.

zikomo, What Limegreen said was a joke; good taste poor taste, like it dislike it; it was a joke.

This is the 3rd time I've come across your posts in a thread and on each occasion you have ended up in a slanging match with at least one other person. You accuse others of being aggressive and intimidatory but IMHO that is exactly how your language comes across; I have been left aghast at some of things you have said to people, which is perhaps why you have elicited comments like this:
Quote:

FWIW I've partly stayed out of it since as there is something about your style of posting which I don't fancy being aligned with

Of course you are perfectly entitled to hold whatever view you like and to express that however you like, but as this is a members forum you have to remember that other snowHead
share those same rights, and you do not get to be 'judge and jury.'
latest report
mozwold wrote:
I have always swapped skis with those that I'm skiing with, but I might just add another level this year by adding a bike lock that I was given free (yay!) at Centre Parks a couple of years ago.

zikomo, What Limegreen said was a joke; good taste poor taste, like it dislike it; it was a joke.

This is the 3rd time I've come across your posts in a thread and on each occasion you have ended up in a slanging match with at least one other person. You accuse others of being aggressive and intimidatory but IMHO that is exactly how your language comes across; I have been left aghast at some of things you have said to people, which is perhaps why you have elicited comments like this:
Quote:

FWIW I've partly stayed out of it since as there is something about your style of posting which I don't fancy being aligned with

Of course you are perfectly entitled to hold whatever view you like and to express that however you like, but as this is a members forum you have to remember that other snowHead
share those same rights, and you do not get to be 'judge and jury.'

It is your opinion (and some others') that limegreen1 made a harmless joke, it is my opinion that it was offensive and rascist. Both opinions have their justifications. I don't, however, see any reason to simply agree with you or anybody else's opinion just because you say so.

I am sorry to say this is pot and kettle. You seem to be acting as judge and jury here, except in this case the subject is me. If you actually read what I wrote you will see I do acknowledge others rights to hold their opinion, in fact I said as much to limegreen1.

However, if I have caused you offence/left you aghast with something I have said, drop me a PM and let's deal with it sensibly. I am happy to hear others opinions. I await your examples privately so we don't bore the whole forum.
snow report
Quote:

I await your examples privately so we don't bore the whole forum.

Awww, don't do that. Laughing at this fuss over booger all is pretty much the most entertaining thing on here atm.
latest report
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

I await your examples privately so we don't bore the whole forum.

Awww, don't do that. Laughing at this fuss over booger all is pretty much the most entertaining thing on here atm.

Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

it is my opinion that it was offensive and rascist

Once again, I'm pretty sure people from Poland aren't a different race Puzzled
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

it is my opinion that it was offensive and rascist

Once again, I'm pretty sure people from Poland aren't a different race Puzzled

Just to descend into a different level of pedantry for a minute....Definition of "Race"

race2
reɪs/Submit
noun
noun: race; plural noun: races
each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
"people of all races, colours, and creeds"
synonyms: ethnic group, racial type, (ethnic) origin More
the fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.
a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
"we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then"

a group or set of people or things with a common feature or features.
"some male firefighters still regarded women as a race apart"
synonyms: group, type, sort, class, kind, variety, ilk, genre, cast, style, brand, vintage, order, breed, species, generation More
BIOLOGY
a population within a species that is distinct in some way, especially a subspecies.
"people have killed so many tigers that two races are probably extinct"
(in non-technical use) each of the major divisions of living creatures.
"a member of the human race"
literary
a group of people descended from a common ancestor.
"a prince of the race of Solomon"
synonyms: family, line, lineage, house, dynasty, stock, blood, folk, clan, tribe; More
snow report
In my view we are all brothers and sisters of the human race. It is only when characteristics and/or stereotypes are attributed to some division of mankind that racism can exist. And all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.
ski holidays
snow report
KristinaV wrote:

Quite right. It was pedantic. I even said so myself.

My original opinion stands. My statements and arguments are well formed, if not shared by some here. I am certainly not stupid.

But I should have left this last comment be. Apologies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy