Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Total Newbie looking for advice for April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all this is my first post, We are a family of 4 (2 kids 4 and 7 ) we are looking to start skiing and are looking for a suitable resort for April, We will require lessons for all and hire equipment, with regards to lessons is this something that can be arranged on arrival or best to pre book? Anything else I might need to consider?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally speaking for a first timer, I'd want to have everything (lift passes, lessons, ski hire) arranged with a tour operator.

Snow sure and some easy slopes? Deuz Alpes?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Personally speaking for a first timer, I'd want to have everything (lift passes, lessons, ski hire) arranged with a tour operator.
That would definitely make it easier for you Scottyboy. However, a DIY trip would not be impossible - and can often work out a fair bit cheaper at peak times (ie school hols) - which I assume will apply to you with you taking the kids. Everything is bookable online (travel, transfers, accommodation, lessons and hire kit) - so if you are prepared to put in a bit of work, it could be a goer.

In addition to your lessons and hire kit, you would need to sort lift tickets. Prices are all online for each resort. Depending on where you go, you may be able to buy a cheaper pass (covering a small area) that is more suited to beginners. Also, a number of resorts have free beginners lifts next to a nursery slope - which means you can keep the cost down by using those to learn to ski on your first day or two.

Here's the Where to Ski and Snowboard Beginners Guide - which has, amongst other things, a good summary of the pros and cons of each ski country:

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/features/category/beginners/

For April skiing and reliable snow, you generally need to look to a resort with high slopes (though the resort could be lower). You couldn't go wrong with Austria for a first time trip - it's generally very picturesque and cheaper (for food and drink) than say France. Somewhere like Kuhtai, which is very high at 2000m, would have snow in the streets, is a small, beginner-friendly resort - and would probably have you hooked for life Very Happy .

In France, Valmorel would be an excellent choice. Pleasant, snow-sure, purpose built village and beginner friendly. La Plagne or Les Arcs (both high altitude and snow-sure) would fit the bill too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Deux Alpes is a possibility. If you are all of roughly the same standard, then it mgiht be worht going for a private set of lessons as a class together with easiski - who is a really good instructor. She might even have a couple of other skiers who could be added to the class to make up a group of 6.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Teaching adults and 4 year olds together is not ideal, really - they learn in very different ways. And the 4 and 7 year old would probably be in different classes too, with a ski school.

When are you thinking of going? I'd suggest as early as possible in the Easter holidays.

You will definitely have to book lessons before you go (and I suspect that easiski will be booked up). Choice of ski school is as important as choice of resort. Small groups - max 6 - are best.

I'm sure you,ll get some good suggestions. Normally I'd advise booking late, but in your situation, probably best to get it sorted out in advance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone, we will be travelling there and staying in our motorhome so will more than likely be france, I have seen a nice place to stay at Le Grand Bourand is this suitable for april?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scottyboy, we went to Le Grand Bornand late Jan so can't comments on April you can get access to historic snow depths on sites like snow-forcast and ski club of great British but need to pay for lots of years worth and be Warner last season was exceptionally good in April. Ifyouski figures where a little erm creative when I have been researching April.

We have booked Les Deux Alpes going out 13th April staying with Mark Warner in Le Berangere and my girls are 4 & 7. With Mark Warner there are kids clubs which mean the girls get to play and ski, my eldest loves them so much that when offered he choice between full or half day skiing she wen half day (and she really enjoyed the skiing aspect) she wanted half day as she didnt want to miss out.

This is actualy our first time with Mark Warner, we have previôusly been with Esprit who i would highly recommend. Either may have some discount offers.

The beauty of those types of operator is that they make everything so easy - the little things like helping you with bags to the coach, taking bags to rooms, food times to suit younger children, play areas and equipment. Some of those things are less important as your kids are older but when we went with them with a non-walker the were an utter godsend.

Best of luck and hope you all have a great time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottyboy, LGB village itself is at 1000m and Chinaillon at 1300m so probably not ideal that late in the season - and I don't think the slopes are ideal for beginners, either - but it's a very beautiful area and if snow around the camper is not essential, might be fine! There are some snowheads who know it very well - you could send a private message to loatie if you want to find out more. She'd give you an honest opinion.

My resort - Les Saisies - has a couple of motorhome places (expensive with hook up, hot showers etc but no cost options if you are self sufficient). The village is at 1650 and normally is fine in April. The slopes are absolutely ideal for learning BUT there is no high altitude skiing AND it's a very French resorts and group lessons will be in French, and might have big groups, too. Private lessons are cheap, and you could have family lessons if you want though, as I said above, it's not ideal with a 4 year old. 5 x 2 hour private lessons for the 4 of you would be €395 and I could recommend an instructor.

My daughter and family are coming out to stay with me in early april, as soon as the school holidays start (they are both teachers so no option there). they have no choice of resort (or not where they can have free accommodation and child care wink ) but a resort with access to higher altitude skiing would be the safer recommendation for April. though it's also vital that you find out where the nursery slopes are. Some resorts only have low altitude nursery slopes, others have alternative nursery slopes up at higher altitude which is important for April. You won't want to be learning in a couple of inches of slush. Apart from anything else you can get very wet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is motorhome parking in Les Deux Alpes at the entrance to the resort. I've not taken too much notice so can't really comment too much on it. You can also park at Venosc and get the gondola up to resort too. That ought to be quite nice I would think although the last one down is something like 8pm I think (check on that I'm not sure).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Private lessons are cheap, and you could have family lessons if you want though, as I said above, it's not ideal with a 4 year old. 5 x 2 hour private lessons for the 4 of you would be €395 and I could recommend an instructor.

i would appreciate it if you can recommend someone
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would recommend Stéphane at the Glisse Passion school (the ESI) if he is available. Or Franck A (there are two Francks, so you need to specify). Or Cathie (pronounced Catty) who is my grandchildren's favourite.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottyboy, Montgenevre has a good motorhome park, and would be an excellent choice for a family learning to ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ This would get my vote. Cheap lift pass too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are all total beginners in a motorhome skiing in Easter, don't rule out Scotland. Depending how far south you are might make it a bargain (that's assuming you aren't in Scotland already Very Happy )
ski holidays
So... I have literally exhausted my brain with the amount of internet research I have done, there is too much info making hard to make a decision so we have just plumped for Camping Les Lanchettes at Vallandry / Les Arcs, What swung it was apparently Les Arcs has free lifts on the beginners slopes and realistically thats as far as we will get in the time available. Lets hope we made a good choice, Either way we are all Excited and can't wait to get there:BigGrin::BigGrin: Thanks to everyone for the replies, no doubt I'll be asking about equipment next Confused
snow conditions
Scottyboy, You might find that a suitable lift pass is bundled cheaply with the skis, boots and lessons, so that may not be significant for you. All the same, Vallandry is a lovely place and you will probably be learning on those gloriously sunny slopes. (Well, they were gloriously sunny when I skied there 3 weeks ago!)

snowHead
ski holidays
Scottyboy, I normally book ski & boot hire in advance via middle man companies. The two I have used and had no problems with are SnowBrainer and AlpinResorts (if I have managed to spell them right they will ge auto clickies which will give a Snowheads discount code.
ski holidays
Scottyboy, I hope you have a great time. You will get further than the free nursery slopes (unless you are very slow learners) but there are usually some arrangements for beginners to save the cost of a full area lift. For example "points passes" where you buy a certain number of points, and each lift takes X points. But you might get beyond those, too, with luck - they are not economical once you are using long chair lifts, and those are not necessarily on difficult runs. In Les Saisies beginners will typically go up one of the long lifts on their second lesson because there's a nice long run down and they are less effort than drag lifts!

Make sure you book lessons - plenty of people on snowheads know the resort and could recommend a good ski school.
snow report
Scottyboy wrote:
So... I have literally exhausted my brain with the amount of internet research I have done, there is too much info making hard to make a decision so we have just plumped for Camping Les Lanchettes at Vallandry / Les Arcs, What swung it was apparently Les Arcs has free lifts on the beginners slopes and realistically thats as far as we will get in the time available. Lets hope we made a good choice, Either way we are all Excited and can't wait to get there :BigGrin::BigGrin: Thanks to everyone for the replies, no doubt I'll be asking about equipment next Confused

GREAT choice Smile Newgen are good for lessons - see if they have space for you. If not I'd recommend the all in beginners deal from the esf - http://www.esf-peiseyvallandry.com/ski-school-peisey-vallandry/ski/group-lessons-ski, esf aren't always loved, but this one has done us some good lessons in the past. I don't _think_ anyone else starts from vallandry.
latest report
Scottyboy, I might be wrong, but it's worth checking.... I think Les Arcs offers free lift passes for the whole area for kids in April/Easter school hols when adults buy a pass.
snow report
Scottyboy, the website will have all the info. In many places - most, perhaps, a 4 year old would get a free lift pass anyway, and that might be cheaper than a "family" pass. Certainly well worth looking at whatever "all-in" offers there are, whether from ESF or elsewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy