Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Photos added - caption needed!! - Flachau Trip Report - Half-Term 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Minimum_1, If your skis are sticking, do you need to wax them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
Minimum_1, If your skis are sticking, do you need to wax them?

^ +1
Or failing that, giving the bases a quick application of Zardoz Notwax might help....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Minimum_1, yes, the homework does sound boring but the rest sounds good! That sticky wet gloopy snow is horrible when it makes your skis stick - you need one of those Zardoz Notwax things. Doesn't last long, but makes a big difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think we will be taking the Zardoz pocket pucks with us today, the snow just seemed to reach a critical point yesterday when it wasn't soft enough to be slushy, but got too soft to be good to ski, we skied a slope that wasn't even mounded and yet that was harder to ski than anything we had done yesterday - def. pocket pucks needed today - forecast is very warm! All the skis were freshly waxed prior to the trip so I think Zardoz is the way to go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi it's Minimum_1 reporting today's adventures!

For lunch I ate Schinken käse toast which was really tasty and I drank two hot chocolates throughout the course of the day which were also very nice!

Today we went over on the G-link and skied a very long way! We went all the way over to the bottom of Buchau Saletrl and it was really nice compact snow, as well as the added bonus of being a blue sky day. There were patches of fairly thick fog in places but if you skied for long enough, it disappeared. However by late afternoon there were scraped icy patches, with mounded soft moguls. Despite these mounds though the skiing was really good. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the added bonus of being a blue sky day.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Minimum_1 wrote:
For lunch I ate Schinken käse toast which was really tasty and I drank two hot chocolates throughout the course of the day which were also very nice!

I know you've said you've already had chicken and ribs and tiroler groestl, some other Austrian specialities you might care to try are spätzli (a type of noodle, I'm particularly fond of spinatspätzli which are green spinach noodles usually served with small bits of speck (bacon) in a creamy cheese sauce) and Leberkäse (in spite of the name there's no cheese in it, it's a sort of meatloaf but tastes more like cooked luncheon meat, it's often served with a fried egg (Spiegelei) and chips. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today was the first day of this holiday that I haven’t fallen over although Megamum did 3 times and at one point FraserP collided with her! We went across the G-link and got all the way to Buchau Saletrl (lift 60). Snow in these areas was very good although the lifts queues were excessive, despite leaving with plenty of time we got back with only fifteen minutes to spare. At the end of the day we had three or four drinks in the umbrella bar at the bottom, we even sang and danced to the songs we knew and some of the ones we didn't, particularly Megamum. Minimum_1 had another quiet day taking it easy and not falling over for the third day in a row Shocked.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the world and his wife knows that the snow is good on the otherside of the G-Link, we had a nice time over there (lovely to ski under the sun for once - don't need too much of that as it hurts the snow, but it is nice to ski under it every now and then), but the queues took up loads of time and we were glad that we had allowed lots of extra time to get back - we needed it!! I think someone had painted a target on the back of my jacket - I was taken out three times from behind - once by a boarder (only my high ski boots saved my ankle from the edge of the board) which was most annoying as I was just completing a particularly steep bit of red run at the time, once by a skier and once by FraserP!!! and I am not convinced that the last one was an accident, but I am anticipating a ski pole shaped bruise across my thigh where I landed on it - he will have to take care tomorrow Twisted Evil !!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Minimum_2, Oops. What time did you get to the G-Link to come back?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Minimum_2, Oops. What time did you get to the G-Link to come back?

We got to the G-link at about 3:00
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like you're all having a wonderful time! Nice updates from the Minimums too, glad you're getting on so well.

This topic has inspired me to buy some Zardoz Notwax (which I'd never heard of), as I think conditions in Saalbach next week may be similar to yours.

Have fun!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Minimum_2, Phew!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, 3 knock-downs in a day is horrendous! Sympathies. Hope there are no ill effects. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Everything seems OK this morning Smile It was busy over there, but the first two occasions I was taken out were on pistes of some width, esp. the second time and to be honest I think it was carelessness on the part of those hitting me from behind Evil or Very Mad as there was plenty of space around me.
ski holidays
Megamum, fancy a day at Radstadt? Have a chat with your ski buddies today and they can give you the info. Ange
snow report
Hi Ange, I don't know if we will make it over in that direction at the moment - running out of time - need a lottery win and for the UK schools to not be so precious about kids having time off during the school term - we are already one day short on our usual trip, we might end up in Zauchensee or Alpendorf tomorrow, have to see how Friday goes, but we often stay on the home hill on the last day to visit our favourite bars. Hic! The problem is it's such a large area with so many places to visit that there isn't time in 6 days to do them all esp. when two days are taken up with ski school.

Had a lovely day out today, kids did ski school this morning and we did some practice and then Kooky and avalanche poodle met us after lunch at the Auhofalm (I nearly got taken out again just below there!!!) and then we did some of the quieter pistes Flachau side of things. Visited a bar with dancing girls on the tables (will give the kids something to tell their mates about at school!). Vis on the hill was patchy (dire in places), and it started to snow around 11:30am up top - unfortunately it tended to rain right at the bottom which makes the run back down to base errr......interesting!! Will leave it to the kids to tell you the nitty gritty.
latest report
Hi all, today was probably the best day so far!

To begin with we had to be up at the top of the Achter Jet by 9:00am because we had our final ski lesson with our instructor, which was three hours long. We managed to get all the way over to Alpendorf and the snow was fairly nice, a little icy in places, but otherwise not bad. The visibility there was really good too but we didn't go really low as the snow has not been too good lately.The instructor took us down 2 and a half black runs really fast and it was a lot of fun, and we did the speedometer track. My speed going down there was 63.8kmh (42.43mph) which I was pleased about. We also did the miniature slalom course and I completed it in 32.8 seconds, which compared to what I thought I would get, wasn't bad.
However once our lesson was finished we reported back to the top of the Achter Jet where we met Megamum . We then went Starjet 3 and over to the Auhofalm (my favourite restaurant) and met up with Kooky and avalanche poodle and skied with them for the rest of the afternoon. Throughout this afternoon the snow started to fall and under foot/skis was soft and really nice to ski on, however at times the visibility was not the best. Shocked avalanche poodle was really kind and took Minimum_2 and I off piste in the trees! It was so much fun. The snow on piste was by this time a bit choppy/bumpy but the snow off piste was deep and powdery. Minimum_2 was caught unawares by a wretched snowsnake, or tree stump, (it depended on the angle you looked at it! Razz) and I had to pick up the pieces! As well as this even avalanche poodle was caught unawares (picture to follow)

Anyway that's all I have time for as I need to finish spanish homework.

Hope to write again tomorrow

snow report
I'm getting quite good at this falling over technique, today I fell over another 3 times which makes the trip fall count about 9 for me, 0 for Minimum_1, 0 for FraserP and 3 for Megamum. Very nice snow today although some parts off piste were a bit hard and horrible but other parts were fine. We had our last lesson with our instructor today and went down to Alpendorf it was really fun when we were going over the ridges really fast. After we got back to the Auhofalm and had lunch (I had my first sausage of the holiday in a meal of wurst mit pommes) we met up with Avalanche Poodle and Kooky. Minimum_1, Avalanche Poodle and I went off piste through a lot of trees and after we joined the piste again Avalanche Poodle fell over on a flat bit! Laughing (I got pictures too so I'll add mine to Minimum_1's later).
Earlier with our instructor we also did a speed test and I got to a speed of 62.8kph even though I had to turn twice to dodge a pine cone type object in the middle of my path.
latest report
Minimum_1, you sound as if your skiing is becoming fantastic; well done. snowHead
snow report
Megamum, Sounds like you were at the Dampfkessel - our favourite!
snow conditions
Below are the images I took. The first one is of Avalanche Poodle fallen over and the second image is the piste he fell over on (it looks steeper than it was).

ski holidays
Quote:

it looks steeper than it was

Laughing
snow report
We had hoped to ski with Avalanche poodle in Zauchensee[/b] and got over there early. However, the snow conditions did not suit us and tired legs from several previous days skiing. Despite the early hour the heavy, snow over there was already considerably churned up and mounded where-ever we tried to go. We took a run down to the centre itself from Flachau Winkle and then went up high and came all the way back down again, but by then our adult legs were shot to bits. We gave up, cancelled our meet Sad and Gondola-d back up and skied back to the centre station on the Flachau-Winkle side and took the Highliner 1 Gondola down just after lunch. The kids still wanted to ski so I took them up to the top of the Achterjet this afternoon and they had best part of the afternoon on the top of Flachau hill, which for those that don't know is an area with loads of routes down from the top that all come out in a single area. I sat in the sun on the terrace near the Achterjet top and soaked up the atomosphere and the Topfen strudel Embarassed Really a rather nice afternoon! Currently trying to decide the best treatment for aches in the muscles at the bottom of my thighs just above the knees so I can ski tomorrow. I suspect a hot shower and a judicious rub with some vitamin I gel will help!
ski holidays
Megamum, sounds like a very pleasant afternoon; it's not compulsory to ski all day, especially in horrible snow. As for the muscles apart from the obvious (ibuprofen and stretching) maybe you could get a focussed sports massage - might just make all the difference. Most ski resorts offer something of the sort and I'm sure Flachau would.
snow conditions
[HeN Hb]Megamum[/b], I as at Zauchensee too this morning but was sat in a hut eating Krapfen and drinking coffee with girly mates. When I skiied down at 12 it was really chopped. I was on Radstadt in the afternoon skiing with my daughter and it was beautiful. The snow was delightful on the top half, not chopped and the pistes really quiet. You should put Radstadt on your todo list if you visit next year. There are fun bits for the kids too. Where are you skiing tomorrow? Ange
ski holidays
Megamum, I find a swim, a sauna, a hot tub, or even a soak in a hot bath help with achy muscles after a days skiing. Only I always shower off the most achy muscles with the setting on cold until the area is really chilly, keep the feet in warm water, after the aforesaid activities.

Stretching as soon as I stop skiing helps too. As does plenty of wine Very Happy
snow report
Skied Zauchansee this morning, some lovely soft powder away from the piste. Was warming up, particularly south facing slopes, during the day so some spots were getting rather damp but just means you need to put more effort in. Enough fresh powder to get the odd face shot. Did hit my biggest queue of the season, took about 4 minutes, first queue of the week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, good idea, but unfortunately we only have tomorrow left to ski - I have decided that if the area is still sore tomorrow then it won't hurt for just one last day to ski on a couple of doses of ibuprofen. I want a good last day's skiing as I've def. cracked things this week. I still lose it a bit on the steeper sections, but on an easy red/steep blue I can finally ski to my personal satisfaction (at the moment wink ) I had a terrific run yesterday afternoon - it was snowing a good bit and that unfortunately took out lens on the video camera (I've checked the footage and there is so much snow on the lens that it is useable Sad ), but it did feel really good. I just wish I had another week out here to really consolidate the progress that I am sure I've made. Hence thinking that it is worth some pain killers to get a good last day in tomorrow and see if I can replicate the good stuff whilst I am still out here.
snow report
Quote:

Hence thinking that it is worth some pain killers to get a good last day in tomorrow

absolutely - and Hells Bells wrote on another thread yesterday that it's OK to double the stated dose of Ibuprofen in the short term - go for it!! And maybe you could persuade someone to give you an amateur thigh massage? Use the heels of the hand and a bit of weight (easiest if the patient is lying on a bed, feet just over the end, masseur standing at the end) lingering over the sore bits. The sore bits won't necessarily be just above the knees - trigger points higher up the muscles can be a problem.
latest report
waynos, The queues have been considerable in some places Flachau/Alpendorf side of things this week - our longest queues were some 15-20 minutes on several occasions this week. I think I could have coped with Zauchensee today on fresh legs, but we had a long fun day yesterday and it was all just a bit too much today.

CaravanSkier, I'll try the plenty of wine approach - it might also be effective with sloe gin! I really ought to try getting fitter before I come out here.

flangesax, Hi Ange, we will try a few hours on the home hill tomorrow - we have some runs that I want to do again before I go and some bars to go to bid farewell to the friendly staff there - hopefully the legs will hold up long enough to do what we want to. We will stick Radstat on the 'to do' list as we will be coming out again next year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-02-14 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w, Toofy Grin I will deploy my skiing partner on the massage job - thanks for the tip. Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, Hope you and the rest of your clan have a great last day skiing tomorrow!

P.S Have you seen the goat video I posted? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi it is almost the end of our skiing holiday and I have to go to bed soon so will not be able to write a lot.

We started today over in Zauchensee but the snow was all churned up and the run we went down was narrow and horrible and heavy to ski on. In the end we stopped off in the Arena Alm and ate lunch. I had frankwurst with pommes frites and it was absolutely delicious! Once I had eaten it, I could quite easily have eaten it all over again!
However, after we'd eaten we decided to go back to Flachau because fraserP s' knees hurt. (and he called us lighweights!). Laughing
However once back in Flachau the snow was 100% better than in Zauchensee, and Minimum_2 and I skied around up the top. The snow was mounded in places with a few scraped hard patches. However in general the snow conditions were pretty good, considering the time of day.

Anyway, I have to go to bed now so if I get time tomorrow I will try and report again.
ski holidays
Great trip report, have a fabulous last day everyone.

Megamum, I hope you get your aches and pains sorted and get in a few dream runs Very Happy

A friend of mine went to Flachau last year and loved it.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Hence thinking that it is worth some pain killers to get a good last day in tomorrow

absolutely - and Hells Bells wrote on another thread yesterday that it's OK to double the stated dose of Ibuprofen in the short term - go for it!! And maybe you could persuade someone to give you an amateur thigh massage? Use the heels of the hand and a bit of weight (easiest if the patient is lying on a bed, feet just over the end, masseur standing at the end) lingering over the sore bits. The sore bits won't necessarily be just above the knees - trigger points higher up the muscles can be a problem.

I don't think I did, and it certainly wasn't yesterday. I did say several weeks ago (pre-BB) that the prescription dose was double that of the over-the-counter one, and someone shouldn't worry if they had taken more than they should. I certainly didn't recommend doing it. Maximum OTC dose is 400mg three times daily.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, sorry, i know it wasn't yesterday - can't think why i said that. But I certainly got the message that bigger doses than OTC were OK in the short term.
ski holidays
pam w, no problem. Tired and tetchy this evening. I think I was trying to reassure someone that she wouldn't die from taking one too many rather than encouraging her to double the dose.
ski holidays
I had the absolute best day yesterday, thank you guys!

I can't believe how improved you all are, especially Megamum, who totally put me to shame on the final run of the day through all the porridge!

Please please lets do it again next year Madeye-Smiley Have a very safe travel home, missing you xx
ski holidays
double post…never mind remember this Smile

http://youtube.com/v/8QB52bGFGNs
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy