Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fresh Overnight Alpine Dump

Poster: A snowHead
It snowed about 15-20cm overnight above 450 meters this time. I'm off to our local ski slope which partially opened last weekend. Will post photos later if there is anything to write home about.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same in the Savoie, around 8 - 10 cms. Should be clearer until Friday when it looks as if a warmer SW airstream is settling in, bringing more snow, but higher up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, How high, any idea?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same in the Alpes du Sud. Not sure how far down it goes but we are at 1100m and it's well covered here this morning. See PSV webcam http://www.paysdesecrins.com/cwebcam.aspx?id=1
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This weekend and early next week looks like it might be snowy as well, with the GFS forecast model suggesting another 50cm of snow. Then another band of snow around the 12th Dec, perhaps as much as 30cm (although this far out I guess the forecast is subject to change quite a lot).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CP, not too high, I've seen a snowline of around 1500m/1600m suggested for this weekend on a couple of sites.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG wrote:
CP, not too high, I've seen a snowline of around 1500m/1600m suggested for this weekend on a couple of sites.

That's what the GFS model is forecasting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How high is Arc1600? I just *know* it;s not going to be 1600, is it? Or is that the Courchevel villages?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, Arc 1600 is pretty close to 1600, although Arc 1800 is just under 1700! Courchevel 1850 is around 1760 IIRC.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't it funny how they always seem to overestimate rather than underestimate the heights?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG wrote:

Sounds good. It would be nice to be able to ski Sache down to Le Brevieres over Christmas - I will keep everything crossed Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:
Isn't it funny how they always seem to overestimate rather than underestimate the heights?

The triumph of marketing over reality! Apparently Courchevel named itself 1850 because it wanted to seem higher than Val d'Isere (advertised at 1800, but also a little lower than that).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP, I would be really surprised if La Sache is open at Christmas, AFAIK it needs loads of snow cover to open.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 30-11-05 12:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP, I've done 6-7 weeks pre-christmas in Tignes/VdI over the years, and for 2 of those years you could ski down to Brevieres, so it's definitely possible, but I would think you'd need the advertised snow depths at Tignes to be something like 80/150 at least...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plake, we're off to Tignes for the first time at Christmas. How much cover do you need to get down to Les Brevieres and Les Boisses on the reds and blues that go down there.

We have two children who are fairly competent, but I don't think they'd be up to La Sache just yet !
ski holidays
CP wrote:
- I will keep everything crossed Madeye-Smiley

That might make for some interesting skiing... wink
ski holidays
Plake, were you able to ski on La Sache for those weeks, or did you make it down there by the other routes.

One of the problems with La Sache is that in places it's very exposed so that if there's any wind it loses it's snow quite easily.
ski holidays
The one time I fell down La Sache (note not skied) the conditions were awful and that was early Jan. Perhaps it was the snow but i thought it a most unpleasant run for one so famous.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, it is a very variable run dependent on snow conditions. If the snow's good it's great fun and easily skiable by most intermediates, if the snow's poor then it's horrible with rocks everywhere.
latest report
I've skiied Le Sache in early January. One year (the first time I did it) it was full of huge icey moguls v.unpleasent, esp at the big steep corner. The last time I did it it was brill, and I felt a lot better on it. Moral - conditions are vital!
ski holidays
Hit the road at 8.45am, not much traffic but the climb up to the Sept Laux resort was snow covered, it didn't look like many people had come this way and I was slightly dubious about SuperCastor's - SkiPass.com editor in chief - claims that at least a couple of lifts would be open. The resort was pretty much deserted but there were one or too mad people carrying boards and skis so things were looking up. In resort, Martine Carretero, the resorts communications director told us there had been 20cm of fresh to add to the 30cm from last weekend. Things were looking good, at least for a few runs. Castor had brought Matthieu from la Grave with him. Matts was the guy who taught Doug Coombs all he knows about snowboarding, erm, which isn't very much as Doug is a died in the wool skier.

The canons were doing their stuff but in the freezing temperatures had actually managed to create a layer of breakable crust on part of one piste !

The great thing about the Sept Laux is that they don't bash the life out of their slopes.

They let their clients do it for them, far more ecological.

With the great snow the resort decided to open up one of the higher chairs which, after a couple of Vin Chauds in the Cafe de la Jasse we took.

... will post some more photos later, gotta hop now.

ps if you are interested in the history of Courchevel 1850 mentioned above click over to:-
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/Courchevel-Battle

Sept Laux Website: http://www.les7laux.com/hiver/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 30-11-05 23:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
davidof, And I've been sitting in a dark office all day - you lucky lucky bar steward Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Gosh, I enjoyed that. Virtual skiing from the office chair. Thanks! snowHead
snow conditions
Davidof, Fantastic photos! Trouble is, I can't wait to get out there now - counting the days....
ski holidays
Where was I? Oh yes we took the chair up to the bottom of the Vallons, some deluded people had tried the o/p here. It is a rocky slope in the summer that would take more than 60cm of snow to even out.

Although judging by the angle it seems our Vin Chaud stop was ill advised (a big glass of Vin Chaud is 2.5E which seems quite good)

Then we climbed up to the col du Bedina because the little drag lift wasn't running

Just 150 meters but hard work with some quite large accumulations

Castor thought this would warm us up. There have been quite strong S to S/W winds over the last few days and this had moved some snow around, at the Col there was some very slabby snow and a convex slope. It was only 2000m and there were no fragile layers obvious in the snow pack but we did a transceiver check before I was sent down to test the slope, Castor calling after - "don't worry we'll dig you out pretty fast if anything happens".

Unfortunately my camera froze up after this and refused to take any more photos but the slope was pretty nice although the powder was extremely light and some fatter, heavier skis would have been great for both this and some of the cut up snow on the pistes.

The forecast for the French Alps for the next few days is around 10cm on Friday but getting quite a bit warmer, perhaps with the zero isotherm around 1500 meters on Saturday. Not much snow in the Oisans. Mathieu (ze Dude) said la Grave was still unskiable. It is looking a bit like last year at the mo with snow in the pre-Alps and lower elevations. I'm at Val on Saturday so hope it is not too bad.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-11-05 23:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Going green jealous smiley
latest report
nice picks.

Keep em' comming
ski holidays
wanna swap lives now and again?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, that looks brilliant - I can identify with the cannon frozen breakable crust! I wish I had the time (or a suitable car) to take a day out there.
ski holidays
More pics, I need more pics Twisted Evil
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
davidof, that looks brilliant - I can identify with the cannon frozen breakable crust! I wish I had the time (or a suitable car) to take a day out there.

I will have to come over to LdA again sometime when you people are not too busy.

The snow canon crust was a new one on me to be honest and quite a surprise. I'm with you on crust - I avoid it, normally you can find skiable snow somewhere on the mountain although my range of acceptable snow is very limited: spring or any kind of powder.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
although my range of acceptable snow is very limited: spring or any kind of powder.

I do believe that you've been somewhat spoilt. wink
snow conditions
Hi folks not as good as last week 3cm at 825m near Lausanne and outside there is a thaw - like more traditional Scottish Skiing weekends.
latest report
Just to join in - its been seriously dumping here in ADH for the past 24 hours with I reckon a good 70cms in resort (well its getting pretty close to my knees!)
The big opening today and aren't we lucky! Just as well after that tremendous wind we had on Thursday night the pistes were looking pretty rotton but today is another story.
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
More pics, I need more pics Twisted Evil

Sara we NEED pictures Sad
snow conditions
OK I'll take some pics but someone has to have the paitence to explain how I get them on the page - I am very technically retarded!
snow report
sarah@alpedhuez, Make sure you're registered on the snowMedia Zone. Go there and click on upload photos. enter the file on your HD that you want to upload. Click submit! When you've done that you get your photo in your personal space. To put it on a thread copy the url below the photo and paste in reply. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, Thanks Charlotte - have done the first bit, will tackle more technical part shortly. Think I have to find the camera first!!

Riding's out of the question now... I promise we'll definately get there though!
snow report
It has been pouring with rain down here - I hope that means that further up it is white - only 3 degrees too.....
ski holidays
sarah@alpedhuez, Yeah -the poor horses wouldn't be able to wade through it would they? Springtime for sure though! Why don't you start an ADH thread for the snow reports forum? there must be loads snowheads who'd like the news. Very Happy Sorry for you today - we've been in a complete mess with jams and stuck cars and buses all over the place _ Crystal managed to park and unload a bus on either side of the road at the same time - you can imagine. Must have been worse with you 'cos you're higher and your road's more difficult! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy