Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do in Moutiers (Overnight Eurostar Ski Train)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

In a couple of weeks a friend and I are getting the overnight Eurostar to Moutiers, arriving at 05:30. We are going to get the Altibus which arrives in Meribel centre (where we are staying) at either 06:55 or 08:10. Where is the best place to burn time to have breakfast and burn time until the lifts open? I hear that things are very quiet at that time of the morning.

On the return leg, the train leaves 22:55 - do the resturaunts in Moutiers stay open later to have a meal ~20:00 until maybe 21:30 to take up some time and let you take bags in with you?

Any other tips anyone who has done a similar journey would give?

It will be my first time in skiiing in europe, only every been in NA - is it true that people in France are much more agressive and anything i should watch out for or avoid in the three valleys for my stay?
or anywhere I should absolutly go and see, any must do bits?

Snow is looking good so far!

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try not to commit suicide.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bascadeo, no idea about the morning but 21.30 is not late to eat in france by a long way.

Take sleep aid for the train, a good red for example.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bascadeo, It will be VERY busy in Meribel in a couple of weeks but try to stay calm at all times. I think the French are no more aggressive than any other race and are far less likely to shoot you than a local in NA.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowheads!

At 05.30 I think very little will be open in Moutiers. There is a cafe in the station that would probably be the most likely. If you walk out of the station there is a boulangerie here which I think opens early: http://goo.gl/maps/0aUsq There are also various hotels around that area that might be open for breakfast for their own clientèle and be happy to serve you. Meribel Centre at 06.55 will be shut, I would get the later bus.

For the return, yes it is easy to get a meal in Moutiers until late. I particularly like the Auberge de Savoie - the food is excellent and they have been really accommodating to me and my family many times in the past, so we always just head there: http://goo.gl/maps/x5wH9 It's a very short walk from the station, and they will find somewhere for your bags. There is a left luggage place at the station but I think it closes earlier than you will find useful for your return train.

As to the aggression of European skiers vs NA, I can't comment, as I've never skied in NA, but I've never had a problem with aggression in Europe. Most reports of confrontation come from lift queues. My tip would be if there's a queue for a lift ski past it and find a lift with a smaller queue.

For skiing in the 3V, the quietest parts are at the two ends: the area above Courchevel Moriond (aka 1650) and the Masse area past Les Menuires. Meribel itself can get pretty busy as it's the thoroughfare from one end to the other, but there are still some excellent pistes. Each valley has its own character and strengths, so I would just explore and find somewhere you like.

If you need a lesson or two I can very highly recommend Ski Marmalade in Meribel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

is it true that people in France are much more agressive

No
Frosty the Snowman, the OP said " people in France" not "the French" They are, afterall going to Meribel.

Quote:

On the return leg, the train leaves 22:55 - do the resturaunts in Moutiers stay open later to have a meal ~20:00 until maybe 21:30 to take up some time and let you take bags in with you?

20:00 is just about the peak time to eat in France, you may have to wait a bit later to get your meal, but you should be able to finish comfortably before your train leaves at 22:55

To me the must do bits of the 3 valleys are the grand couloir in Couchevel and the runs from Mont du Vallon, but there are lots and lots of excellent pistes in the area.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for the replies, good stuff to know. I will make sure to sniff out those area's. From the map they look like good zones. As silly as it sounds even on busy days i take it there are queit areas to be found like everywhere else or is it just a swarm of people everywhere?

Thanks for the suggestions on where to eat kieranm , I shall keep an eye out!

Are there any altitudes to avoid or aim for in certain weather conditions or anything like that or just see where the days take you and fish for local tips on the chairs up!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Bascadeo,

Welcome to snowheads. A few 3v tips:

The through routes between the valleys are usually the busiest parts, this includes the area around top of Saulire twixt Meribel and Courchevel, and the village runs down into Meribel or Mottaret from either side during the early and later parts of the days. There are many areas off the beaten track which can be pretty quiet and offer some superb skiing, in my experience these include La Masse (already mentioned), Mont Vallon (where timing is everything, look up at it in the morning from Meribel and if it is freshly pisted forget the croissants, get your skis on and get up there!), the area above St Martin De Belleville and Les Menuires (look for pistes Jerusalem, Grand Duc and Quatre Vents on the map) and the area above La Tania on the ridge between it and Meribel.

Often some of the pistes that are busy at start and end of day are really quiet at lunchtime, so my advice is to take an early or late lunch, and explore some of the runs down into villages (such as down to La Tania or Le Praz) in the middle part of the day. My favourite is to ski right down from the top of Saulire, through Courchevel 1850 and on down to Le Praz, a huge vertical descent, then sit and have a sandwich in the sun at the bottom.

Personally I think the French are very polite and personable people generally and I doubt you will have a problem. Most in the area speak English, but they still appreciate a little effort to greet them and start the conversation with a bit of French, after all it is their country and they have a justifiably proud culture. A lot of visitors sadly seem to forget this. Many of the people in the 3V (particularly any behaving badly) are probably not French anyway.

See where the days take you, follow the sun, I'm sure you will have a great time!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the train there take some nice food, some wine, some inflatable neck pillow type things and ear plugs. If you can sleep sitting up then fine. It's not as comfy as you expect, or as lively as I was let to believe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy