Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheffield Ski Village - 1 year on

Poster: A snowHead
It was nearly a year ago that Sheffield Ski village was destroyed by fire and is now unlikely to ever reopen.

What once had 180,000 visitors a year now only attracts vandals and metal thieves, and the site’s owner Kevin Pullan says that he is no longer able to get insurance on the site...

This came up on another forum... rather grim i'm afraid...

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=25295
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very grim.

The last time I was there was to buy a pair of Rossi Bandit X that were in the sales.

That would have been in the "burnt out shed" i think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A real shame to be honest, i had my first taste of skiing there when i was a school. I remember thinking how hard it was and wanted to be on the main slope not the nursery area Laughing

A few years ago i heard there were plans to make the place bigger and indoors, wonder what happend to those plans.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a shame to see a place which played such a pivotal role in shaping the current crop of UK ski and snowboard talent won't be there for the next generation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Its a shame to see a place which played such a pivotal role in shaping the current crop of UK ski and snowboard talent won't be there for the next generation.

I wonder how may of the next generation are sliding/doing their tricks and training at the Manchester and/or Leeds indoor snow slopes??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this the future of the Don Valley stadium? Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-03-13 15:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used to work there when a student, was great fun but the snow domes were the writing on the wall even back then. Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It appears someones held an ESOB of their own up at Sheffield Ski Village again, with BBQ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-22288610

Almost a year to the day since the main building was destroyed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, yep, sad eh? I used S&R there, bad area and was rife for development but the big plans never came to anything, the recession bit, local chavs moved in and it's back to desolation, full circle in 30 or so years later.....sad indeed, but not unexpected given the lack of investment and area it is in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for posting that Richard_Sideways.

Sad to see the derilict site - I have any happy memories of SSV.

The place suffered from a poor location (v difficult to get to without a car) and underinvestment which meant the experience was dissapointing (dry dendex, snowflex rucked up, bits of metal, lift not running at non-peak times, top of the red barron grassed over) which I think was a bigger problem than the snowslopes in themselves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Large wooden shed" - would that be the first aid / piste patrol cabin? They used to have cameras on site, bizarre they never know who has caused any of these fires.

When I was there the rumour mill was always about insurance, and how it was just too expensive to run because of it. It's true there were lots and lots of injuries, but most of those were because incredibly unfit people were turning up with zero experience of any physical activity and expecting to be able to learn to ski. Probably all claimed and won something anyway.

It was indeed a very dodgy area, even leaving your car too far from the building when visiting was a risk. There were various stories of attempted attacks after the staff had cashed up the bar, the infamous ram-raid on S+R of course, and one time I was working there in broad daylight a van backed into the staff-only area with all the bins etc, hoisted a couple of mopeds in the back and disappeared. Real shame it came to an end though, it gave a lot of local youth a hobby and something a lot of them would otherwise never have experienced.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did an ASSI refresher there many years ago, twas a bit tricky to get to if I remember correctly. An ex colleague who works as an expert witness in ski injury cases was regularly;y threatened with physical violence (by staff allegedly) every time he had a site visit regarding the many accidents
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
albinomountainbadger, they've arrested a 15 yr old over the latest blaze, so it appears they sometimes know who did it......or at least suspect who did it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With all the good publicity SSV is currently getting on the BBC it's a real shame that it closed

The BOA, BSS or other body should have invested some money in SSV & kept it open
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward, +1

I was at Uni in Sheffield between 86 and 89 and went a number of times to SSV. In fact I remember going there with a medic friend and seeing a group of lad who had been BMXing by the side of the slopes who were all gathered around one of their friends. My Medic mate went up to them took one look and said broken tib and fib and went to get an ambulance whilst I stayed with them, they were very grateful.
ski holidays
once stayed at a campsite in the midlands and somewhere there was a ski club house and everything apart from a slope !! seemed it got cancelled due to the real snow at Tamworth !!
I live next to the Halifax ski slope and they make more on kids going down there in rubber rings than they do skiing ...crying shame really..but real snow is the future...i go to manchester when my knee allows.
snow report
No! Was far better to be outside than skiing in a shed!
Best time was after real snow though..........
snow report
I agree to skiing outside...but in uk ??
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:
I agree to skiing outside...but in uk ??

Yes, lots of rain to make the slope faster Very Happy
ski holidays
Is'nt that called water skiing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Some of the best times I had there was when it was raining!
snow report
did an ASSI refresher there many many years ago with John Shedden doing the assessment.
latest report
I see dear old Snowsports England still thinks Sheffield is open! comes up as my closest in their slope finder.
ski holidays
Quote:

Some of the best times I had there was when it was raining!

Yup you went WAY faster and you could do a big stop and cause a massive sheet of water to swoosh up at the bottom of the red baron Very Happy

+1 for it being great after a real snow fall too and for being better than the shed - longer slope, quieter, cheaper, permanent half pipe, kicker, quarter pipe and drop off.
snow conditions
One of the problems with the indoor slopes for the freestylers is that you can't go too big because of the height needed, and the run-in-run-out, which was why the dry slopes had such good features.
snow conditions
SSV even had one of those water jump things for practicing huge aerials off. Never really saw anyone using it though.

SSV could have become the UK's center for 'reduced risk' training - could have gone big with foam pits nad trampolines etc.
snow report
kat.ryb, Well I guess it could have gone big in a slightly different area of Sheffield!
Now there is a disused quarry just about 400yds from where I am now that, if someone wants to give me a few million quid, I'm pretty sure I could turn into the most amazing reduced risk training and dry slope on the planet!
snow report
worth a listen

Sheffield - City of Snowless Skiers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03srgv7
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy