Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The "Not Skiing at Half Term" Thread!

Poster: A snowHead
So for the first time for a number of years no skiing for me at half term next week. Although my daughter is still at school, in the 2nd year of 6th form, she's decided that she's far too busy with school work to ski this year Shocked As she leaves school in the summer there won't be any in the future either although I'm sure I'll be expected to fund the university ski trip and put her up somewhere in the Alps at other times. We've had some good weeks over the last few years (Zermatt, St Anton, Laax, Alpe D'Huez) but I must admit I won't miss the stressful journey, crowds and expense. TBH Easter was always our "main" ski holiday and if one had to go it would have been HT.

I'll make up for it with 6 weeks after the French Holidays Happy

Good luck to everyone braving the crowds and to those putting their feet up at home or enjoying the quieter than usual roads back in the UK Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's always hope. Son & daughter are on different HT weeks, and my wife's decided to pass after she trashed her ACL last year. I usually get 2 or 3 weeks each year and this year I have nothing planned.

I will be looking for a dads & lads last minute deal later today, though not holding out much hope. If not, Scotland here we come!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Delighted not to be skiing half term...I have Canada on 22nd Feb and Radstadt on 18th March snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had our ski holiday at Christmas - really enjoyed it but am soooooooooooooooooo longing to be going again this year Sad

For various reasons I don't think it will be possible before Easter 15, with an outside chance of NY this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
were not going we have to wait until Easter before we get to go. Probably a good thing really my knee / leg isn't really fit enough yet, but I find it so hard waiting all through the season for our turn.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going in a couple weeks to L2A - only ever been in half term once when kids were little and it was a very expensive nightmare.

Hoping I can convince the OH to let me go again end of March with brother-in-law!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going over early to clean apartments tomorrow but will not be skiing over the "Half Term" periods - next day trip will be to a locals resort small, but perfectly formed, with a day pass costing only 22 Euro (or nowt if you know a lift owner! wink ). It was recently the location for a Snowboard World Cup parallel GS event. Next week-long trip is the end of March to Flachau, in between I'll do day trips but probably not at weekends as all the day trippers tend to bump up the numbers trying to occupy my slopes Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our half term doesn't start until a week tomorrow.

Que smug feeling of not having to pay those silil prices this year wink Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good job I'm not going at half term - the mushette broke her arm yesterday Crying or Very sad

She'd better recover quickly though because we're going out to see Ben & Ange at Easter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No half terms any more for me - kids off to uni / out of the house (though not off the payroll!). One benefit is that we can let the apartment for UK half term week which is a good earner (though my brother & family have it next week).

Lads' trip to look forward to w/c 8 March when the crowds should be significantly thinned.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B, We will also be "not skiing much at half term" mostly due to queuing at the Eurotunnel, in traffic, at Peage Booths and in the lift lines at ADH snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick D, Sad There's always Easter, see you then hopefully Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is our first year of not having to do school holidays Very Happy Had a great time in Wenegn after Xmas with no kids! Off to Tignes in 4 weeks time, somehow the kids have latched on to that & invited themselves for a free holiday rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've already been skiing last week and going again at end of March. Time off work during school holidays utterly impossible (and unnecessary for someone without a family). So I'll enjoy the quieter roads next week but I certainly won't enjoy the increased workloads...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, I find working during school holidays good - as there are less people to interfere with the day job (if that makes any sense), plus commutes are normally easier.
snow conditions
NickyJ, the commute is a good 10-15 minutes less but since we have one person off the whole week next week and three more people with odd days off, the workloads for the rest of us will be mental. I already have 52 hours of work booked in for next week, no doubt there will be more. I'll be popping into Boris' bar for plenty of coffee...
snow report
queen bodecia, shame. I often get hassled with lots of support type calls alongside my day job, they are always noticeably less during school holidays for me. Surely workloads should be planned around the leave as it is booked in advance? Or is your work more re-active than that?
latest report
NickyJ, workloads are totally reactive. If a client wants 12 hours of work done by tomorrow, we move heaven and earth to get it done. Some of the work can be pre-planned up to a couple of weeks in advance but most clients are disorganised and want everything yesterday.
latest report
Sad oh dear.
snow report
Mosha Marc, ditto! Knocked about a third off the price by going a week later. There are some advantages to living in Wales.
snow conditions
never have skied at half term and have no inclination to
ski holidays
This is our first year of not ski-ing at half term for about eight years. Our youngest is now at University studying beer and rugby and the eldest is at what he calls "work".

We were able to go w/c 5th Jan which was great and meant we could avoid New Year week as well. This is a double benefit for us as it also means we can let our apartment for two peak weeks. Mrs S and I have two long weekends (five days each) coming up in March.

I will not miss the early morning M11 closures, the Dartford crossing, the mad dash through Eurotunnel terminal, the flog down the autoroute, five up, boot stacked to the roof, kids watching DVDs in back and wife asleep in passenger seat, queues for fuel, queues for junctions, queues for (other people to buy) the vignette at the border, smuggling industrial quantities of bacon and sausages across Europe (no we didn't officer!) ... although writing this I am already starting to feel nostalgic for it all!
snow report
Daughters last year at school, son already away. This is probably our last half term holiday unfortunately it clashes with England a bit busy this year and a 3:30 rise for the flight tomorrow.
ski holidays
WTF............ who in their right mind skis at February-Half-Term????????? Laughing
ski holidays
gutted, I will only get four ski trips in this year. 5 last year.
snow report
adam.b, I've only got 2 Sad

The 1st was 3 weeks and the 2nd 6 weeks Happy
snow conditions
Ohhh Claude…you WIN!

Mine are only short, but Work seem to think I should be there more than I do!

Saying that, if my new venture takes off I will be matching you next year!
snow report
As Mr mogulski and I both worked in education we were stuck with Christmas, half term and Easter skiing (plus a school ski trip in January)while we worked. Now retired, avoid half term and have managed 6-8 weeks away each winter for the last 5 years. So far this season Meribel at Christmas, 3.5 weeks at various parts of French alps (Meribel, Flaine, Megeve) Jan/Feb, at home at the moment, plans for 5 days Norway in March but that is work skiing (judging moguls) and 3 weeks to finish in March/April La Plagne (work again!), Les Arcs, Tignes and Meribel. Still keep looking at last minute deals in case we can sneak a cheeky extra week.... Complete turn around with family situation as both sons now live in Meribel in the winter as ski instructors so we just stay in one of their spare rooms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimastaaah, not everyone has a choice to avoid it.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I don't follow!!??!! Those going at Half-Term must choose to go at that time.
There's always Xmas, New Year, and 2 weeks at Easter for those who have to stick to school holidays. Surely not everyone going at Half-Term is a teacher or a parent! Seems damn silly to go at the most expensive/busy/crowded/overhyped week of the season.
snow conditions
I'm still so jealous of these people who have so many skiing holidays. I have to move heaven and earth just to have two...
ski holidays
last season in Val D Isere all the locals shipped out as the half term start weekend drew near. The following week was superb as the crowds failed to appear. I will imagine this season to be the same as the recession is still biting hard.
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Hells Bells, I don't follow!!??!! Those going at Half-Term must choose to go at that time.
There's always Xmas, New Year, and 2 weeks at Easter for those who have to stick to school holidays. Surely not everyone going at Half-Term is a teacher or a parent! Seems damn silly to go at the most expensive/busy/crowded/overhyped week of the season.

Depend on where you work you are competing with others to get permission to take leave during school hols
snow report
adam.b, Claude B, came out Dec 16th will not return till end of April.

Great being an "old" ski bum Cool

We too never did high season with our twin girls, choosing to take them out of school without any hassle, first eight years or so we were fee paying anyway Puzzled

I was not planning on doing "lifts" that much at all over the next three to four weeks, until a good friend contacted me and he is now coming out with his family so I will have to be a bit of a piste guide Embarassed

Though just hope we get loads of gnarly weather which might keep many off the hill rolling eyes

Have to admit to feeling mildly defensive with the prospect of a series of "tourists" turning up where we live not knowing various do's and don'ts as we "live" here and they are just visitors, and many are in holiday mode leaving elements of their brains at home, we saw it a little at New Year wink

There was a distinct feeling of batten down the hatches talking to friends in the local last night !

And LimeGreen hope you're right, was amazed at how many apartments were available for next week when I was looking for my friends.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 15-02-14 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skimastaaah,I will use this example. We were given new contracts by my ex-employer last year (note my ex-employer) I was not allowed to take time off over Christmas and I was not allowed to take time off in the week before Easter, as they are our busiest periods. So should I have children of school age, I would only have been able to take them out of school at half-term.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, you and Jules next year will be old fart ski bums as well hopefully, you'll have that to look forward to!
snow report
I'm a semi old fart ski bum this year Happy Took redundancy in November and skied 3 weeks in January and returning for another 6 from mid March. Left the bit in between to the hordes Happy

Having said that I never actually found HT to be too bad. By organising my own SC accommodation and flights (booking early) and generally avoiding France (just too busy) we did some top notch resorts such as St Anton and Zermatt at a decent price. They weren't actually too busy either.
snow conditions
Weathercam, not for the whole season unfortunately.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Did you shoot your "ex"-employer? That's tantamount to justifiable homicide! Skullie
ski holidays
skimastaaah, I wish wink. I had actually already booked Christmas 2013/14 before we received our new contracts and it was being honoured. I chose not to fight a redundancy situation in the summer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy