Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's the oldest boarder here?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm 47 this year and I know there's more senior guys than me still tearing it up out there. Will there come a time when boarding is just too hard and I have to (mumbles) go back to skis cos its way easier
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

more senior guys

rolling eyes 47 is really young; there'll be loads of people older than that. I am 20 years older than you, and not a guy, but I gave up snowboarding last year because I had a fractured pelvis (not snowboarding) and subsequent investigations suggested that I might be suffering some bone thinning, so it seemed sensible to avoid the kind of big slams you can get off a board.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But keep the attitude............................ Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forty seven??? PAH! Oldest snowboarder I ever met was 82... And she was learning. Shedloads in their 60's who'd come to snowboarding after knee problems stopped them skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just cant see why its not cool anymore.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I won't even live till 82. Fair play though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry Pam W, I didn't mean to exclude the ladies out there!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
61 and only started boarding about 9years ago, didn't ski before this,

Heading to Sauze D'ouix on 9 march, with 3 mates 1 on skis and the other 2 boarding, if any one is there?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I only started snowboarding last year at 48!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs cad99uk and I started at 50, still going at 59.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wheres Masque?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thought I was old at 53 but obviously not
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be fair, I think this is probably saying more about SnowHeads demographic that snowboarding in general...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I might be the oldest snowboarder still learning in the park, about to turn 42!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz, Not much in it, I'm 40 this year and intend to work on my steez this year, along with my henchmen; one of whom is 41.
I feel an "Old enough to know better, but too senile to remember" thursday night at Mt.Hemel coming on...
snow report
This thread made me think! How easy would it be to transfer to boarding as you approach 60, with dodgy knees, thighs and hips? Is boarding any easier than skiing as body parts start wear out?
latest report
IMHO and FWIW, boarding is much much easier on the knees than skiing. The worst of it is the slams when learning - which can be mitigated with knee protection and impact shorts.
snow conditions
Gainz, Well a few park tricks are on the list of things to learn this year for me.
CaravanSkier, Yep JezC is right but add wrist guards and a helmet to the protection!
snow report
davkt wrote:
Gainz, Well a few park tricks are on the list of things to learn this year for me.
CaravanSkier, Yep JezC is right but add wrist guards and a helmet to the protection!

Oh yeah totally agree, I was just commenting on the likelihood of pain in the areas mentioned but wrist guards always a prerequisite - and about the first thing I bought, the other stuff came later. I'm glad I converted to wearing a helmet about 4 years back - wouldn't be without it now..

Smile

Wouldn't consider age a barrier at all. Sen John Kerry is in his 70s now and still boards I believe (?)
snow report
Snowboarding is quite a bit easier on the knees as there is little or no torsional stress as the knee bends in the way that its supposed to, so the muscles take the strain not the joints.
ski holidays
I rode with Don Wildman for many years, until he was about 75. Not sure if he's still riding, but he could kick the arse of almost anyone in deep powder on a board. Neither he nor I would be seen dead in a park, mind.
latest report
OK food for thought! Thank you.
snow conditions
Surely 47 is the median age for boarders?
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Telemarking is quite a bit easier on the knees as there is little or no torsional stress as the knee bends in the way that its supposed to, so the muscles take the strain not the joints.

FIFY Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I was first inspired to try snowboarding in 1985 after seeing it in the opening sequence of A View to a Kill.

The boarding starts at 2m 37s in the clip below.

I didn't get a chance to try it myself untill I made a home made board in 1991 and have been boarding since, and am now 50.

http://youtube.com/v/ci59Ff7SHvc
latest report
JimboS, Laughing great clip!
snow report
i'm a mere nipper at 58 then. boarding since 1990 Smile
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Telemarking is quite dull, as there is little or no torsional stress as ze knee bends in ze vay zat its supposed to - very slowly; allowink for each exquisitely constructed turn to be fully appreciated by those around unt allowing zem to be realising zat zey are ze schweinhund fixed heelers vizout ze finely beard unt bobblehat unt ze big sunglasses unt ze zuperhigh salopettes from ze C unt A circa 1980...

FI right-back-at-ya Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, Smile
snow report
Blimey Im a baby then at 42, and just landed my first 180 well happy Laughing
snow conditions
I'm not sure if he still does it, but I saw Peter Gabriel boarding in Meribel a few years back. He's 67 now.
snow report
44 yo youngster here Very Happy Been snowboarding for almost 20 years. Still on my original thermals and never washed them Very Happy
snow conditions
I met a 75 year old snowboarder in Val D'isere 2 weeks ago when I was out there. 75!!!! And he didn't learn to snowboard until he was 55!

Phil, if you're reading this - you are a true inspiration for the rest of us!
ski holidays
Seems I'm a relative youngster at 45 then Very Happy My partner had her very first lesson on her 50th birthday - I'm going to tell her that there's still plenty of time left for her to master the halfpipe wink
ski holidays
Wow, at 39 I appear to be the youngest snowboarder on SH.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, i can beat you by a few months - I'm 38 and have been boarding since i was 23
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Wow, at 39 I appear to be the youngest regular on SH.

FIFY.
ski holidays
54, been snowboarding since I was 37. Still ski occasionally, but it doesn't have the same feel.
snow report
I'm 51 and have been boarding for 23 or 24 years.

Boarding is harder to learn but easier to master, compared to skiing. With today's rocker boards, learning is much, much easier than it was on our flat, 180cm, hard boot slabs. Very Happy A good skier should progress through boarding school pretty quickly.

I haven't worn skis for a good few years but am happy that I could still do it.
ski holidays
I'm not the oldest at 60 . . . But it is my favorite tool (it's supposed to dump here at Copper tonight Very Happy ) & I'm the only one here daft eenough to have a board with Telemark bindings on it.

You're only as old as the height you bounce . . . I've yet to get to Pam ' "dead cat bounce" . . . Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy