Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone tell me….....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Who owns this 'pistes', I know it will probably vary from country to country but are they controlled by local authorities/councils? Also what about the lifts gondolas etc. are they owned and maintained by private companies or is there some sort of a public private partnership type arrangement in place between the local council/ piste owner and a company such as dooplemayr.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite often it is communal land, or private ly owned farmland.

But I imagine some Russian owns it really
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When it's privately owned land it can get complicated, for example in Les Houches. Can't remember the exact details, but one company owns one of the lifts up to the top, and another owns the other one. One is part of the Cham lift pass, and one is not. Some years they co-operate and some they don't. I remember staying in Les Houches one year to ski mostly Chamonix, and the Cham pass didn't work in Les Houches, but other years it has done.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Judging by the way they go on in here, I'd say they're wholly owned by Middle England & Co.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dazman, Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In most cases in Europe, the pistes belong to the local farmers, who lease them to the lift companies for the winter months.

The infrastructure then belongs to the lift companies, which are generally private companies. Some of them actually own the land as well - which I believe is more common in North America.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
karin, no longer the case re Les Houches. Compagnie du Mont Blanc (who operate the rest of the Chamonix valley) have the contract to run all the Les Houches lifts. You can still buy a Les Houches only pass however.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dazman wrote:
Judging by the way they go on in here, I'd say they're wholly owned by Middle England & Co.
That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.
To answer the op, a lot of resort pistes are owned by the lift companies, which can be just the company or have local people as shareholders. They will then provide the lift, the piste bashers, the snow cannons and piste patrol in a lot of places. I was just commenting to my husband last week, I haven't seen ski patrols in the last five resorts I skied in, they did have an ambulance group, but not a bunch of lads making sure everyone was off the mountain etc.... ( or were behaving)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the Jungfrau region the land is certainly owned by the farmers as are some (but not all) of the lifts, this has resulted in some fun and games at Kleine Scheidegg where the Lauberhorn lift starts approximately 20 feet above the station level which until recently has ment a walk uphill (now they use a little lift) all because the land above the station is owned by one family and the land below by another (or something like that) but if I understad things correctly the lifts work with the rail company and function something like a cooperative, this is also apparently the case with some of the mountain restaurants
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy