Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to France over Easter - 5th April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're going to the Portes du Soleil for Easter this year, on 5th April. In previous years we've driven through the night on a Friday, grabbed a (large) coffee and got on the first lift. It works great as the traffic is non-existent, but we do end up slightly in bits.

This year we're thinking of wimping out and getting an early Saturday tunnel and then driving through the day, arriving in resort early evening. So my question is whether this is a good idea? How bad will the traffic be late afternoon Geneva - PdS? I'd have thought the rest of the trip wouldn't be too bad, but as I've only driven it at night I may be wrong. Am I?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shouldn t be anywhere near as bad as NY or HT as the french don t tend to ski at Easter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drove through the Saturday to Alpe d'Huez last Easter, and it wasn't too bad around Geneva, or anywhere for that matter.

This year however, we are driving through the night on all our trips, just because it's easier.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I though HT would be carnage getting up the mountain, but guessed Easter might be OK by the afternoon (locals would be driving in the morning).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saturday afternoons can be slow on the motorway east from Geneva. Slow but not stationary. Can't speak for the bit approaching Geneva from the west as we always come over at Pontarlier etc.

You don't say where in the PDS you are going - the approach to Morzine/Les Gets is a different route to Chatel and the Swiss side.

The other thing is that coming up the hill at "home time" (4-5pm) can be a bit of a mare on the narrow bits as there is a constant stream of local day-trippers coming the other way in a tearing hurry to get home and sit around watching TV. Having said that you are unlikely to get there that early if you are only getting the tunnel that morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sanman, driving to Les Gets. I don't mind driving slowly up the hill, but couldn't bear bumper to bumper stationary traffic, with my kids trying to kill each other with blunt instruments. I reckon we'd be there around 18.00 from an 06.00 tunnel, maybe a bit earlier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stefoy4me wrote:
shouldn t be anywhere near as bad as NY or HT as the french don t tend to ski at Easter.

It is Belgian holidays though so roads will probably be fairly busy that Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
michael stocking, arriving no earlier than 1800 you should be fine. And it'll be light!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stefoy4me wrote:

or two weeks before.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, it isn't actually Easter, only the school holidays.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is us as well - grab daughter from school at 15.30 Friday then straight down to the tunnel and an overnight stop at Reims. We're hoping with an 06.00 start Saturday morning we can get down to BSM for 14.00 ish, and then up to Arc 1950. Last year we did Feb Half Term and fingers crossed its not as bad as that
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've driven down (to L2A not PdS) every year since 2007 for the Easter school holidays. Traffic has never been an issue at all. In fact the last few years I've stopped over near Calais and driven the rest on the Saturday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies. Still kind of tempted to go hardcore and get first lifts, but at least I now know the daytime run is an option. The ski hire place is open till 19.00, so the plan is to sort that out, pick up passes and then get going early on Sunday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like a plan. I always reckon on about 10 hours from Calais, pressing on but at legal speeds and stopping for toilet breaks/fuel only. So if you pop out of the tunnel at 8am local time, 1800 is about right.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy