Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK to host the winter olympics...

Poster: A snowHead
...could we?

Looking at the medals they are pretty much 50 50 ice to snow. I dont believe we could host the snow, with respect and love to the Scottish resorts, the weather just isnt good enough but we could easilly do the ice. We have great arenas and could I think do a bob track in the scottish mountains.

So who could we share with to do the snow? Norway?
Is a bob track feasible? Covered?
Any other ideas?

Yes I know this is snowheads and ive just given that away...

Please leave the "should" for your own thread wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think we could cover 80% of the events, given a good winter. Alpine events could be a challenge as well as some of the nordic stuff. Infrastructure to support it would be a big issue though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem isn't the snow, the problem is the changeable weather and, most likely, the wind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, agreed, thats why I said weather not snow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So the answer is no.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just wondering where the long-track speed skating rinks, bobsleigh runs, and ski jumps are. or might be built.
heard rumours about a long track rink.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Solihull 2030.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy,
Ski jump is snow so goes to our partner country
Bob sleigh, covered track in caingorms
Long track, easilly in nec or excel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
emwmarine, to which question?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be better asking this after september
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hobbiteater, i think this was flogged to death during/after the last olympics...possibly also the one before that too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hobbiteater, no. There are many countries which have much better conditions for this. Leave it to them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, and that means we cant discuss it now? most topics on here have been done before. This is a live forum, not an encyclopaedia.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so basically, about the same chance of Jamaica holding the winter olympics.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowyowl wrote:
hobbiteater, no. There are many countries which have much better conditions for this. Leave it to them.
I agree. I don't think England and Scotland would be suitable for the Olympics at all.
ski holidays
What are the better conditions they have for the ice events? Im sending snow sports to norway. The world ball kicking champs gets shared...
snow report
So you want Britan to host half the winter Olympics. I am sure that it makes more sense for one country to hold it all, if Norway were to be involved they could host the full thing so I am sure they wouldn't be interested in hosting only half.
ski holidays
Have the Olympic village in Folkestone, then it's only a short train ride to the obvious partner country.
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
emwmarine, to which question?

So who could we share with to do the snow? Norway? No.
Is a bob track feasible? No.

Covered? No.
Any other ideas? No.
snow report
I mean Belgium, obviously.
snow conditions
biddpyat, could, not want...

Why isnt a bobtrack feasible, ive skied in dubai, and they dont have oil unlike the scots...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 12-02-14 21:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We could pair with Holland. It gets quite cold in the winter there? Is it hilly enough?
latest report
Did you ski enough in Dubai to do a world cup downhill run? I doubt it.
snow report
biddpyat, actually i reckon the volume of it was easily more than a bob track.
latest report
emwmarine, there are hills in the Netherlands. And belgium.

Quote:

Have the Olympic village in Folkestone, then it's only a short train ride

hahahahahaha
have you seen the world's most stupidest car park there when it gets a tiny bit busier than a slow day?
if it can't cope with christmas or half term then it can't cope with a limpicks. fortunately there's a big ferry port nearby with acres of sensible parking, plus a few airports nearby too.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
We could pair with Holland. It gets quite cold in the winter there? Is it hilly enough?

they have the only indoor FIS accrededited slope Cool
snow conditions
Have you done a bob track, while perhaps the volume in the Dubai snow dome may equal it, the cost of keeping a bob track with it's sheer length and demand on ice when you aren't guaranteed Ice. So it would be like a huge long ice rink. Factor in the high winds that are quite common, and the Rain and I am sure it would be easier to maintain a bob in Dubai.
snow conditions
Even if there was ever an abstract notion that the UK could host the winter olympics, it would undeniably be a profound waste of money (considering the millions that it would theoretically take to facilitate the environment, particularly when compared to other climate-appropriate countries). Not only this, but other priorities would suffer within the public sector no doubt. Quality of weather conditions goes without saying.

One tiny example of something - on a much smaller scale; Wembley Stadium. Do you remember how our tube service practically fell apart JUST to accommodate the re-build of a football stadium?! Absolutely insane. I'm sure it took them the best part of about 5 years, if not more, to actually sort it out to *acceptable* standards.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Please leave the "should" for your own thread
snow report
And theres a bob track in Germany that can work in +20c so there
snow report
There is more chance of them being held in Qatar!
snow report
...so anyway when I was a little girl I used to try to devise ways to turn my back garden into an ice rink.
snow conditions
andy wrote:
so basically, about the same chance of Jamaica holding the winter olympics.
Ha ha, I love this. Maybe the Jamaicans should host it, it would certainly be a lot of fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy