Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling with larger TO - Total, Skiworld etc ???

Poster: A snowHead
I've been on many chalet holidays, but have never travelled with any of the better known / larger tour operators such as Total, Skiworld, Neilson etc.

My question is - are their 'better' chalets just as good as the small independent tour operators - I mean in the quality and quantity of meals, helpfull happy staff and clean well presented chalets??
Any opinions, good or bad please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Staff are a lottery - which dictates food quality and overall experience. Staff will be less hand-picked by the very nature but it doesn't mean they are worse than smaller indies. If you're fussy however and a less than stellar chalet or a bad meal is likely to ruin your whole holiday I'd say stick with an indy you like.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WHICH small indy? We've not really seen a difference in hosts between big and small, both seem a lottery.

Great:
YSE
Neilson
Ski Zenith Rep

Good
Ski Total - our chalet
Ski World - one trip

Okay:
Ski Zenith hosts
SnowChateaux
Crystal hosts
Ski World - another trip

Poor/Annoying:
Crystal rep
Ski Amis Hosts
Ski Total - chalet next door:)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most recent experiences (going back a considerable time as I'm not really a packager)

Inghams - Great
Skiworld - Great
Virgin - Not really a package, briefly saw a rep, No complaints
Skibound - crap rep, crap catering (tea in main hotel) great catering and service in our small (local family run) annex hotel
Neilson - overpriced, poor catering for the money (not helped by lazy chalet girl blowing food budget on patisserie etc)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, you must be the reason Neilson told me they couldn't buy pain au chocolat for the day off breakfast Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If your job says bake a cake every day for tea, I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be buying nice patisserie instead then turning a casserole into a veggie only stew because you didn't have any money left for meat.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
If your job says bake a cake every day for tea, I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be buying nice patisserie instead then turning a casserole into a veggie only stew because you didn't have any money left for meat.

I don't get why chalet operators don't buy in bulk and make everybody serve the same stuff. There's a lot being left to chance when you leave your precious customers in the hands of a teenager, why make it more precarious?

I've been with Total a couple of times, and they're always 'fine'. Better towards the end of the season than the beginning for obvious reasons.

OTOH, I've been with four 'independent' operators, and the incessant nagging of the owners has grated nearly every time. No; we've booked the entire chalet and you're a bit weird - we don't really want to eat with you. Look, you paid €2 for that bottle of wine, we don't really want to pay an extra €15 for another the same just because we've put down our coffee cups - and we really don't appreciate the hard sell.

Face it, the sort of person who drops out of English life in order to live in the mountains is quite likely to be a bit weird. And if they weren't when they started, after five or ten years of it they definitely are now. Basil Fawlty lives on in many independent chalets.

I cannot speak for the high-end independents. They're probably as nice as a five star Austrian hotel in Lech.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our chalet host in a basic Crystal chalet said he was given rough food plan and had no trouble with budget- even enough to buy some fruit which was not in the plan!
That was in Italy though - wonder if allowance raised in France ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We like ski olympic. Been with them on numerous occasions, operations seem to gave shrunk over last few seasons. Hope they are ok.

Keep meaning to try le ski (friends of ours rate them).

Have also been with ski val - not sure if they are still operating.

Did VIP in Val d'isere good chalet, hot tub on balcony but expensive and not sure they are worth added cost.

Avoid TUI chalets if we can
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski hame in la tania were a nice small independent and we had great hosts but i know they were only doing it for one year
snow chateaux have good pr but their hosts the year we stayed in peisey were possibly the most annoying.
Always had ok chalets with crystal. ski world one bad experience
Ski Zenith had great resort rep in alpe d huez and pretty good chalet host.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I cannot speak for the high-end independents. They're probably as nice as a five star Austrian hotel in Lech.

I wonder if any SHs have ever stayed in a "high end" chalet. Way, way, out of my league, that's for sure, though I've had a sneaky look round a few, thanks to son working as chef. Unbelievable luxury but absurdly, stupidly, expensive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stay in a decent hotel - hard for a TO to screw up the experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I'm pretty sure you'd count some of the places my business colleagues go as high end. I'm trying to convince them they need my ski guiding assistance on their next trip NehNeh I'm in IT though so certainly not paying for it myself!

But I'd say high end for me just means the £1000+ (off-peak) a head places, and I have done them and not been impressed. The 50k a week chalets I count as crazy-money, rather than high end Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 13-02-14 0:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not travelled with any of the big operators, but Son is currently working for Inghams, and as Fatbob says, it will depend on the staff. He and his girlfriend seem to be quite highly rated, and girlfriend is a perfectionist, but there was a lad sacked from one of the other chalets Christmas week for having stayed out all night and come into chalet next morning still drunk. With regard to food, Inghams/Total/Ski Esprit give them a set menu which is the same every week, and buy all the food in bulk so the staff go and collect it from a central point in resort. So a certain amount of consistency, and no budget to blow on patisserie!
Have stayed in several small indy chalets, and have found them all to be really good because as it is their own business they care about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I worked for Esprit in the kitchen in 2010/11, we tried hard to make good food and got decent reviews for it too. Never had a problem with budget TBH. Obviously you're somewhat dependant on the diligence or otherwise of the staff in your chalet, but IME the really bad ones didn't last very long. They give you (or at least they did when I did it) a set menu for meals but cakes-wise you just get a selection of suggested recipes and you can pretty much make what you want.

Stayed in a Total chalet in St Anton this year - it was my first time staying in a chalet as opposed to staying in some hideous tiny shoebox with 5 other people crammed in to a space that would be just about OK for 3, and I have to say it was worth every penny... Obviously I've not got much to compare it with, but I'll be more than happy to do the same again.
ski holidays
Dippy, I think as otheres have said a lot of the experience depends on the chalet chef/host. In our limited experience of chalets we've done:

SkiBeat(last week Toofy Grin ) Fantastic
Ski Olympic-Excellent
Alpine Action-Good
Crystal-OK
ski holidays
All - thank you for very interesting and varying replies!
a.j. - Interestingly I would put SkiAmis at the top of my list - excellent value for money and never had a disappointing host.
Overall it really does seem down to the hosts - they certainly seem to make or break a holiday!

I would certainly try one of the larger tour operators - but ONLY if I was getting a good deal! - I shall continue shearching for whats on offer!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy