Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The quest for a woman's Fat Powder ski

Poster: A snowHead
As most will know I'm out here (Serre Chevalier) for the season with my Mrs, and luckily being out here for that long we do "score" fresh snow as often as possible.

Last year I succumbed and bought a slightly fatter ski (107) twin tip rocker-ed ski and I reckon my skiing definitely took a major leap forward, if that was at all possible after all the years I've been on planks.

Whether it was the twintip, rocker or width I do not know but I was charging far more (ripping) and skiing like a dude (well so I think).

Following on from my TwinTip purchase, prior to the start of the season I bought my mates Blizzard Bonafides as my touring all mountain ski and they too ski so well compared to my dear old Scott Missions.

Before Christmas mate who I bought the Bonafides from came out with his OH and they both had new fat rockered skis, he is a superb skier and I think could ski on anything, his OH however was skiing the powder so much better with her new skis, and my OH noticed this.

So the quest started.

Anyway OH has written a good article about the quest and makes for some good and interesting reading here

OH has been skiing on these the past week and her skiing yesterday was the best I've ever seen, could almost use the word "ripping".

More pics here

When I go over to La Grave my Bonafides are almost the narrowest ski, think I'll have to go fatter as well!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I pretty much agree with what your wife says about mens and womens skis, she is pretty light for her height so probably appreciates the women specific skis but that's not to say a guy (or teenage boy) who is also light for his height would also not prefer women's skis. The whole COM thing seems like a lot of BS to me as well, again great for some women, not for all, it's like the forward mount position and heel lifts.

Glad she got something she liked, the JJ's and VJJ seem to get pretty positive reviews, why on earth did you think buying her a pair of skis she had never tried seemed like a good idea for Christmas though Wink

The "almost ripping" thing is interesting as well. It's maybe not so obvious in skiing where you can't always see what someone is skiing on when they are in the snow but the number of times I have seen a guy on a mtb trail on a £3k bike with 6" travel trying to coax a girl on a £300 halford special down a track. No wonder she isn't ripping when her equipment is making everything so much harder.

This also reinforces my quest for new skis, so thanks for that as well NehNeh
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got my OH some salomon shoguns, she'll try these in next day or two. Note that these are "man" skis - though the girlie version (geshia) is the same other than more girl orientated colours. Weathercam, are you on gotama's by any chance, the spec sounds about right. I've got gotama's end of last season. Fantastically versatile ski, surprisingly good piste ski but excel in soft snow, I've not really had decent powder to try them in yet but the odd teaser snow I've skied tells me tells they'll ski big gs floaty turns, which my old "fats" (90mm, no rocker) didn't with my mass on them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd have thought the easy answer is DPS (assuming price no object), more mainstream Rossi should have a Something7 that would suit. Beyond that customise according to degrees of aggression, ability and attitude.

& as for demoing she is of course right on in not testing them on the perfect pow day. The mark of a pow ski you love should be how "liveable with" it is on (non boilerplate) hardpack and particularly heavy crud.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitedot Ranger Carbonlite 168cm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:

& as for demoing she is of course right on in not testing them on the perfect pow day. The mark of a pow ski you love should be how "liveable with" it is on (non boilerplate) hardpack and particularly heavy crud.

People on forums like here often say they don't see the need for a fatter ski as they don't ski powder that often but any proper powder day I've skied has been tons of fun with whatever ski I've been on, the days I struggle are when the snow is really heavy and thick and find a bit of width and rocker is really helpful then
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my Mrs hates heavy skis as well.... got some Armada tstWs for her in the end of season sales last year, shes not used them yet!!

I do think a rockered ski is going to help in cruddy and deeper snow compared to her non rockered skis she had previously...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, If rocker is too big and soft it can be problematic in heavier snow due to too much deflection.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have to be really careful on the order you get the words of this post: because you could be looking for a "Fat Woman's powder ski"!?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
my Mrs hates heavy skis as well.... got some Armada tstWs for her.....

But then you put a real heavy binding on 'em Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied the VJJs at one the MK ski tests and I really liked them - would love to give them a go on a mountain. And they have the rudest name, too. Even better than my (now ex) Burnin' Luvs Toofy Grin

The point about skis for your proportions rather than whether you have dangly genitals or not is a very good one. Not so sure about not letting your other half choose skis for you, mind... Mr P got me some Kneissl black stars and I am rather in love with them. Crap in pow though.

Ms P.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs still "ripping" yesterday............

Though not the snow but my credit card (again) rolling eyes

Pair of Alpine boots Atom Hawx 100's to go with the skis (her other boots are Quest which she uses for touring).

Had a very interesting few hours in the massive ski shop down in Briancon with their top tech guy (Dennis who is Swedish) and I know.

He's been testing a lot of next years (excluding Scott and Salomon) gear and had loads of photos.

When it comes to women's powder skis, like Black Diamond MegaWatt and Whitedot Ranger - brands are going carbon (lighter) to produce a women's ski.

Interesting was the quest for the all mountain ski, now looks like a fat slalom ski, as going back to a more piste orientated ski (that can handle hard pack / boiler plate) but can still work off piste. Sure some on here will know more about that concept Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam, any reason for the new boots or is it purely binding compatibility? These days it seems that if you want a lower flex boot and tour then there is no particular reason to not just use a touring boot. Particularly a more alpine oriented one like the Quest.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, we started off looking at some Garmont Lusters (Garmont are now no longer Scott bought them) that are a downhill orientated (four buckle) boot and were at a bonkers price, unfortunately they were not compatible with the bindings on the Armadas.

Last season I moved from a lower flex touring boot to a stiffer one and felt my skiing was a lot better across all conditions. On my non touring skis I also use a downhill boot but that's also to do with binding compatability.

The Quests on my OH seem to be very loose around the shin, and when she tried on the Lusters she noticed how much stiffer they were, we then moved on to look at a downhill boot for the Armadas, which I thought would be more economic rather than switching bindings to match the Lusters, so she'll use the Quest for touring and the Atomics for the Armadas.

It's all a mission to get her to move out of the back seat and charge Cool

Obviously we are in the fortunate position where we are not limited to a one ski one boot quiver.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Line Pandora
Volkl Kiku

Or if you really charge Kastle BMX 118
snow conditions
I'm trying to get my OH to get a ski a bit fatter than her Volkl Auras, which I think are basically a female Mantra.
I'm finding the fresh really good on the Katanas which feel like a fatter version of my Mantras.

She is light(53kg), only skis offpiste, technically very nice, likes the stiffness of the Aura even though she isn't a particularly aggressive skier.

Not wedded to Volkl but seem to like their skiis .

Any suggestions?
snow report
Jonathan Bell, The Kiku would be the obvious suggestion if she likes her Auras, the Blizzard Dakota also might be a good choice although it is getting discontinued from next year so if she fancies that get one fast, it is the female version of the Cochise. The Kiku and Dakota are both stiffer skis but she might prefer something a bit softer for a powder ski, one of the new Rossis, the VJJs, Line Pandora. Although you say she is light the Aura is stiffer than a lot of men's skis I have tried so I wouldn't be worried about sticking to a women's ski, for instance the Shiro or The One both come in shorter lengths? You'll find reviews of some of these on Blister Gear and theSkiDiva.com
snow report
Jonathan Bell, my gf loves her Kikus.
snow report
On the Snow Editors Choice

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/585690/2014-women-s-powder-ski-editors--choice--armada-vjj

And Google reviews to see more..........

Mind you all bollox to a certain degree, as if you have great powder then any muppet can ski pow Puzzled

However maybe it is the extra waist width of 115 vs the Volkly Kikus 107 waist that makes the difference with a floatier plank ?

Like I say it's maybe the conditions that differentiate the ski............

More snow (all be it heavy at 1400) has fallen today so up the hill tomorrow, to shred........

This has been an amazing eight or so weeks with at least one or two major days a week Toofy Grin
snow conditions
lynseyf, clarky999, Weathercam,

Thanks, just had awesome day at a Grand Montet but OH found it harder than need be on her Auras.
Mind you snow was mid thigh Very Happy
snow report
Jonathan Bell, superb conditions (again) yesterday and with fat skis (what ever brand) underfoot she's really starting to rip downhill.

I think it's also a confidence thing as well, as she's now letting the skis run and finding speed is her friend Cool

More pictures from yesterday here
snow report
Jonathan Bell wrote:
I'm trying to get my OH to get a ski a bit fatter than her Volkl Auras, which I think are basically a female Mantra.
I'm finding the fresh really good on the Katanas which feel like a fatter version of my Mantras.

She is light(53kg), only skis offpiste, technically very nice, likes the stiffness of the Aura even though she isn't a particularly aggressive skier.

Not wedded to Volkl but seem to like their skiis .

Any suggestions?

I tried to get my wife , 54kg, 154 cm onto some Volkl Auras from Scott Luna (84 cm underfoot). Too stiff. - also too stiff for an similiar stats 30 year experience lady instructor who is a friend of ours. She did, however, really like the new Rossignol Saffron 7 in 158 which is c 99-98 underfoot, softer, lower swing weight, same honeycomb tip as the other new Rossignol 7 series. (I also saw some male skiers rave about the Rossi Soul 7 recently as well).

I think the lesson I learnt was that lighter ladies may not necessarily go "like for like" in underfoot width as their partners, but knock back 1 or 2 levels in the range!
ski holidays
I'm a lady with a similar stature to your wife who just skis off piste now. I also have a pair of auras that I used to get into it then upgraded to something morspecific. I changed to some kikus which i love and if like in the picture she likes riding big open faces these give an amazing feeling underfoot, proper freeride feeling. I have also bought the 115 underfoot Salomon rockette. I bought these as I'm doing more trees, steeps and narrow and love them for their manoeuvreability. I would recommend either for the uses given. I may consider selling my kikus, with marker barons and black diamond skins, great condition if you are interested. Gemmakbrett@gmail.com
latest report
The Auras are really stiff, I find them hard work off piste if there's more then a few "s of snow, they are nice in light powder but then what ski isn't nice in powder. This is why I'm not sure the whole women specific ski thing is that helpful. The Auras are a stiff ski, a lot of guys that find the Mantra a bit too much (or are maybe skiing the Mantra just now) would probably enjoy the Aura. There are also plenty of women who ski and enjoy the Mantra.
snow report
gemmabrett,
Thanks for the offer , we've got a short list if skiis for her to try out, the challenge will be to find some demo/ rentals.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy