Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switzerland - is it really that expensive - the food facts...

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing wrote:
Whats the minimum wage in CH? Price difference between France and UK can often be relative to the minimum wage difference between the two countries.

The Swiss voted against a minimum wage, however there are some trade association "agreements" covering certain jobs.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Large slice of pizza and a nice espresso, €3.40 in the Bulle Cafe above Arc 2000.

More importantly cappuccino and a huge chunk of delicious cake 4.50 euro in the cake shop in Folgarida adjacent to main lift
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmm....all interesting stuff....many thanks all for responding to the original post....

....looks like Italy is in front, with Austria a close second....Switzerland not doing too dreadfully and France either brilliant or awful depending on the rip-off disposition of specific resorts and establishments.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, have you seen Rob's pictures on IOS' website?! His class apparently spent more time eating cake than skiing!
I did not have a single slice of cake. Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, what makes you think I was with my group when I took those photos? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

France either brilliant or awful depending on the rip-off disposition of specific resorts and establishments.

the more expensive of our local restaurants, whose prices I quoted, definitely aren't rip-offs, they are good restaurants and their prices are good value for money. But the places which charge silly prices, in the big resorts, for a slice of third-rate pizza or the dreaded "spag bol" are certainly a rip-off. The worst I encountered was a bowl of "French onion soup" in Val Thorens which was about 7 euros and had about the same number of small bits of onion floating around in a third-rate broth which had probably been made with stock cubes. Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's just come back to me; the cafe at the end of La Sache piste in Tignes La Breviere(?) - 2 coffees and a can of coke 18 Euros (2009) ouch!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go to Sass Fee every year and never found things too expensive. As with everywhere else you get what you pay for. Generally ion Switzerland we find the quality of everything (transport, accommodation, good, service) is higher than elsewhere and so is the cost so it is good value for money in my opinion. That being said if you are looking for a cheap/bargain experience then it is not for you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the lift systems in Switzerland and antiquated, slow and for what you get very expensive in terms of the cost of a lift pass, just back from Austria if you want good value and and quality compared to Switzerland have a look at Saalbach, Schladming et al.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do get a bit fed up with people complaining about the high cost of eating out in Switzerland. It can be expensive, but it can also be reasonable - you just have to give it a bit of thought. I've paid extortionate prices in France and the USA and I think that a lot of the Swiss-bashing is a bit harsh. I'd agree that Skipass prices do seem to be higher, but for me any extra cost is worth it to avoid French queues, crowded pistes and bad manners. The most expensive £-per-head skiing I've done was in Vail in a self-catering apartment and Heavenly Tahoe in a hotel. The cheapest was definitely Italy. France and Switzerland have been in-between. Given the rest of the cost of a typical ski holiday - flights, car hire or transfers, skipass, equipment hire, and accomodation - I would say that you can make a Swiss trip around the same as a comparable French trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Courchevel 1850

One Lasagne
One glass of wine

Cost:

- The souls of any children I may have in the future
- Two solid gold Aztec ingots
- My left Pinky.

It was extremely good however.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When you're exchanging from Australian dollars it's all expensive. Chamonix on mountain prices and food choices noticeably poor however. Either expensive table service restaurants or fast food style burgers and sandwiches. (Still not that cheap.)

Definitely noticed the difference when I got to Arabba!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven, not unique to Chamonix but on mountain dining is not its strong point. There are some lovely reasonable vfm restaurants on the hill (Brevent Flegere excluded), but you need to know where, and generally reserve...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Raven, not unique to Chamonix but on mountain dining is not its strong point. There are some lovely reasonable vfm restaurants on the hill (Brevent Flegere excluded), but you need to know where, and generally reserve...

Brevet Flegere was where I spent most of my time unfortunately. Chamonix is still a great place though.
ski holidays
Arc 1950 Feb 2014:
Hot Chocolate 2.5 - 4 Euro( Cheapest Meli )
Large Beer 6.9 - 10 Euro ( Cheapest Belle Pintes )
Large beer Happy hour 5 Euro (Chalet Luigi)
Pizza with toppings 12-14 Euro
latest report
Raven wrote:
When you're exchanging from Australian dollars it's all expensive. Chamonix on mountain prices and food choices noticeably poor however. Either expensive table service restaurants or fast food style burgers and sandwiches. (Still not that cheap.)

Definitely noticed the difference when I got to Arabba!

What!!! An Aussie whinging about prices in Europe. Sydney was right up there with Courchevel on our recent trip rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
madlondoner wrote:
I went to Laax in Switzerland last year ... The food on the mountain was in general about 20 euro for meal with a coke but it was really poor quality food

You weren't in the right places then Wink
latest report
joe1978 wrote:
Skiwelt prices pretty similar all around the mountain, from last week
goulasch soup with bread about €5
grostl, schnitzel etc €8.5-10
large beer/soft drink €3.20-3.50
The only place we used that was slightly above this was Skiweige near the ki-west lift, but we should have realised from the funky jazz-dance music coming from the place!
All great food and great service everywhere. Great value!

Sounds about the same prices we had In Alpbach last week.

We were quiet surprised at how reasonable things seemed. That said, Dubai isn't exactly the cheapest place in the world for food and booze so all relative.

For the two of us, not having been to Austria for a while, I budgeted €80 per day for two full lunches & dinners plus whatever drinks and snacks etc... Didn't even come close to spending that in the end.

Good quality with great portions too.
snow conditions
You have to compare the exact same foods to understand the costs of different countries. A Big Mac costs £2.79 in the UK, £3.13 in France or Italy, and £4.39 in Switzerland, so over 50% more than the UK. With the current exchange rates food in Switzerland is extremely expensive. I live in Geneva and view going to Starbucks as a monthly treat

For lift passes it's a bit closer. For the places I go an adult day pass for Verbier is £47.24 and Zermatt is £50.61, whereas the Grand Massif is £35.85 and Portes du Soleil is £39.08, so only 25%-30% pricier
snow report
Depends what you choose as your reference currency.

Big Mac didn't instantly become 50% more expensive. Currencies tanked, and prices stayed much the same.

Concerned about knowing the prices of Big Macs though in several countries (converted at, presumably, recent exchange rates) Wink

Beer prices here went up by about €0.10 when Euro went a bit wobbly, and the previous UK chancellor devalued the GBP by 15%. So is beer here now 15% more expensive?
snow conditions
andy, The price of a Big Mac is a well understood international financial measure, you don't have to eat them.
ski holidays
If you're a Brit visiting Germany then yes that made beer 15% more expensive. In the context of Brits going on ski holidays the strength of the franc makes Switzerland considerably more expensive than France or Italy. That's not to say you can't do Switzerland on a budget, just that the same budget will go further in the Eurozone
ski holidays
But beer is still the same price Wink
snow report
Menu from the restaurant Eigernordwand at Kleine Scheidegg (Jungfrau Region). Prices are typical for the area.

http://www.eigernordwand.eu/bilder/speisekarte.pdf

The prices haven't changed for years. Exchange rate vs Sterling is a bit dismal, but you can't blame the Swissies for that - we need to sort our economy out.
snow report
Blame BoE (and the chancellor) for devaluation.
snow conditions
Not sure the government would want a stronger pound just so that we can get a cheaper lunch in Switzerland Happy Impact on exports wouldn't be very popular.
snow conditions
Steve77, though I have to say a big mac in Interlaken is edible unlike the uk's normal mc'cardboard burgers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was very amused to be advised that Switzerland is great for avoiding bad manners. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Sterling has been rising slowly against CHF for the past year. It could be worse!

snow conditions
Quote:

I do get a bit fed up with people complaining about the high cost of eating out in France. It can be expensive, but it can also be reasonable - you just have to give it a bit of thought.

FIFY. An espresso can range from €1.20 to €3.50 (probably more but I don't go to expensive places) in French resorts. I suspect there is greater variation within countries than, on average, between them. Even in one small resort prices can vary a lot - one of my friends knows the price of a coffee in just about every restaurant in Les Saisies!

In resorts like Megeve which have some Michelin starred restaurants the variations are huge - just as they are in Emsworth, where I can get lunch from £7 to £57.

Some places are very expensive indeed (Courchevel 1850, Val D'Isere) but there are hundreds of ski resorts - nobody is forced to go there and those who do are not forced to pay big prices for food; the people who do choose those resorts presumably consider that, overall, you get what you pay for (personally I think that's a silly expression; you self-evidently don't get what you pay for in many walks of life).
snow conditions
The Eigernordwand looks expensive compared to many places around there - is there a restaurant just above it which is much more reasonable on the ex itineraire now black? Three and a bit weeks to go - I know too late for Wengen but really looking forward to it - and a package half board single room in Wengen with flights and transfers for under £600. Heaven knows how the swiss hotels do it...
snow conditions
Despite the scare stories about France, on my last trip to Morzine I found the prices were reasonable.

Anyway, **write off the cost**
snow conditions
Is val D'Isere that bad? I've skied there several times while being based in Tignes and haven't found the places I've had lunch at too bad.
ski holidays
Claude B, I thought it was expensive - especially having to pay to have a pee, even after buying lunch. But prices do vary, obviously, and it depends what you are used to. My normal lunch on the mountain costs me (chicken wings and chips, usually more than I can eat) costs me under €10, including a beer.
snow report
countryman wrote:
The Eigernordwand looks expensive compared to many places around there - is there a restaurant just above it which is much more reasonable on the ex itineraire now black?

Grindelwaldblick. It has to be a bit cheaper - location. Nice place though.
latest report
countryman, mid March in recet years has been very good for Wengen, Jagersubli and Brandegg both a little cheaper than Eigernordwand but without the views not a lot in it though to be honest
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy